Wonder Woman 1984 (2020)

Tools    

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
Oh okay, it's just I've posted clips of movies on youtube that are years older when talking about them, and those videos get taken down for that. So wonder why they are okay with it for a brand new movie compared to old. Plus if releasing to HBO max means that legally anyone can upload your movie ending to youtube, then why would they want to release to HBO max right away without more of a theater run first at least?

Most of the movie theaters are closed, bro.

One thing about all the online video reviews of the movie, like the Critical Drinker one as well, how are they able to get all these clips of the movie? Usually reviews of new movies the only footage the reviewers put in the video is that in the trailer. But in reviews of this movie, they are litereally show the ending and everything. Aren't they worried about getti redng in trouble for doing that?
If you took the time to watch the video you'd notice he, like many other youtubers, shows the same clips that have already been released over and over again.

I was a Wonderwoman fan since I was a kid, this movie is really disappointing. the story is lame, they should fire the writer

_____ is the most important thing in my life…
The thing that struck me the most was how disjointed it seemed. “We’re doing what now? We’re where? Why?” The premise of the main villain’s power seemed like a real miss and what was the issue with first? The climactic finish and they really “fixed it this time around”.

Gal Gadot is gorgeous of course, but the more she talks, the worse off we are. The first seemed so streamlined and tight compared to this. I don’t need an ESL person delivering monologues if it sounds like this.

At least we got, “Well sh__ , Diana!” from this, that got a chuckle out of me.

A system of cells interlinked
After chatting about this yesterday, which sort of drifted into conversation here at work, as well, a guy I work with ended up giving me a code for VuDu to get the film, as he had bought the Blu-Ray. My wife and I watched it last night, and first off, my wife LOVED this movie. Admittedly, she is a massive WW fan, and is happy as long as she gets to see WW in action, no matter how cheesy things get.

That said, I don't think this was as dire as people have been saying. As someone else mentioned, it feels a lot like a Richard Donner film, with hardly any of the post-modern vibes most comic films have these day. In some ways, that was refreshing. I did cringe a few times at the writing, which goes right in the toilet at times, but I thought the more fantastical elements played out in a fun way, and my wife was over the moon when:

WARNING: "Wonder Woman 1984" spoilers below
Wonder Woman jumped up into the clouds and started flying. I know this gets a lot of derision, but I guess it's easier to put myself in the shoes of my young daughter these days while watching stuff like this, and I think scenes like this work for little kids or little kids at heart, like my wife.

Also, while the villain did have Trump's coif, I didn't draw many other parallels with the POTUS like many others seem to do. Then again, the villain seemed more misguided than evil, so maybe the shoe does fit. *Shrugs*

Anyway, not as terrible as some have been saying.

Welcome to the human race...
The Max Lord/Trump parallels really start to fall apart once they make it clear that Lord is meant to be somewhat sympathetic.

Anyway, yes, this is that dire. Donner's Superman (and the 2017 Wonder Woman for that matter) could arguably get away with such long, slowly-paced narratives because they were telling origin stories for their protagonists, but 1984 does little to justify a similarly staggered running time (they even jam in a contractually-obligated prologue on Themyscira). It's one thing to bring back Steve Trevor and fold him into a monkey's-paw narrative, but to burn so much time on re-establishing his relationship with Diana and more fish-out-of-water jokes where this time it's Diana leading him around a strange new world makes that first half really tedious. The parallel for me isn't so much Superman but Batman Returns as it's also a film that is clearly more interested in its villains who end up proving more interesting foils than the actual hero (with Barbara obviously standing in for Catwoman and Lord functioning as a hybrid of Max Shreck and the Penguin), but to no particularly worthwhile end and ultimately feels like it's over-correcting for the one-dimensional villains in the previous film. That's without mentioning all the previous complaints about poor effects or action, which I will readily back up.

... ultimately feels like it's over-correcting for the one-dimensional villains in the previous film.
Funny you mention this... I actually own the original WW on DVD, have watched it twice.

And, seriously, I genuinely can't tell you who the villain was, or who played him/her/them.

Been sitting almost 20 minutes wracking my brain... and I still got nothing.
Not Googling it though. I wanna see if I can remember.

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
It was better than Spawn (weirdly similar in a few ways regarding effects and physics), but still worse than, say, Suicide Squad.

I get the childhood fantasy draw of it, which plays similar to The Phantom Menace, but dude.

WARNING: spoilers below
Her learning to fly looked like she was stretching out and relaxing. It took several beats to know if she was falling or what. I Don't know if it was the camera angles, her weird arm motions, the lack of clearly defined motion in the background, or all of the above. Then to lasso a cloud followed by a few lightning bolts, it all was just weirder than the Enchantress' wiggles.

I think everyone else already pointed out most of the other issues I had.

I wish I could see this through a child's eyes. I can do that with Labyrinth (Pan's and Bowie's), Superman and Superman II, hell even Flash Gordon! For me, this was in line with one of the lesser Mummy sequels.

Why do I hate everything??

A system of cells interlinked
I wasn't over the moon for it, but it wasn't a total drag, which many people seem to suggest. I think the main error was handing all screenwriting over to Jenkins.

Also: WW1984 > Suicide Squad

I wasn't over the moon for it, but it wasn't a total drag, which many people seem to suggest. I think the main error was handing all screenwriting over to Jenkins.

Also: WW1984 > Suicide Squad
Agree with all that. It had a few cool moments, mostly in the action. Specifically:

WARNING: "WW84" spoilers below
...the big leap from the flipped truck, and the lasso lightning stuff, though the latter was such a cool idea I think it should've been a plot point rather than just a little throw-in

I watched it yesterday, in a near empty theatre (I had a voucher that was about to expire).

I cringed on several occasions, rolled my eyes on others, and was mesmerised by only two scenes (plane through fireworks and the road fight).
But I left the theatre feeling how nobody associated with the film bothered about the story. How cliched it was with some of its characters (especially Kristen Wigg) . And how little it cared for logic at times.

The movie was only interesting every time Pedro Pascal appeared on the screen. As for the Trump parallels, I failed to see that. Maybe because I am not an American, or because I feel Max Lord knew what he was doing. You could also say that this was the darker version of Bruce Almighty, or a better budget Wishmaster movie (with the female lead blessed with powers) .

One of the other major flaw of this movie was how easy it was for everyone to undo the wrong. Kinda reminded me of Ocean's Eight, and how the heist was easy for them. We all know that the good guys (or women in these two movies) win in the end, but this ease of solving the movie's major dilemma takes away the much needed tension that is necessary for such movies to succeed.

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
Perhaps the filmmakers felt over confident from the first one and just felt like they could phone it in?

... but still worse than, say, Suicide Squad.