Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Night at the Museum: Secret of the Tomb (2014)

The third, and I assume last, in the series of movies involving Ben Stiller's nightwatchman at New York's Museum of Natural History, where a magic tablet from ancient Egypt makes the exhibits come alive at night. I missed the second installment, but it was quite easy to pick up on things. Stiller's character, Larry, is now in seemingly easy control of his charges, the exhibits, most of whom have become his friends. But the tablet that controls them has started to corrode, making the characters in the exhibits act wonky. Ahkmenrah, the keeper of the tablet, tells Larry that they must go to the British Natural History Museum to see his father, who will know what to do. Once there, Larry and Ahkmenrah find out that several of the exhibits from America have stowed away in the crate carrying the tablet. Anyway, there is another big adventure with new characters in the London museum who also come alive and start acting strange in the presence of the fading tablet. It's no spoiler to say that all ends well, and even though the return to America has some necessary sadness to it, it still ends on a happy note. All the actors are good and go through their paces for a movie like this, but this one has the added pleasure of Rebel Wilson and Ben Kingsley. The death of Robin Williams in 2014 makes me think that there won't be another "Museum" film, but who knows with Hollywood? If there's dollar one to be made off of a sequel, Hollywood will continue to churn them out. Anyway, in the final tally, this is a fun film, much like the first one, and one that kids will probably enjoy more than adults. But, as I'm pretty much a kid at heart, I liked it a lot.

Next Time I Marry (1938)

Early Lucille Ball movie that tries to be a classic screwball comedy but only partially succeeds, a lot due to the fact that it has a pretty short running time. At 72 minutes, it zips by without ever really building up any comic tension, therefore leaving this viewer not even concerned whether it would end on a bad note or not. I mean, I knew, with it being screwball that it would would end happy, but I at least want to have any doubt earned by the movie. All griping aside, Lucille is fine as a wife who hires a poor man to marry her so she can then divorce him and marry her fiance in order to gain her inheritance. I know, it doesn't quite make sense but I don't care as long as it entertains, and this movie does, but not greatly. James Ellison plays her hired husband, Anthony J. Anthony, and he does a good job being exasperated at being the "Cinderella" man, swept into a marriage by a soon-to-be rich heiress. Granville Bates does a fine job as Lucille's "guardian" (of her fortune rather than her) and one of the few people who really cares about her rather than her money. Anyway, like I said, all ends well and it's all a bit of fluff that is an okay time-waster.

bastard executioner

it's no game of thrones but the 2 hour premiere wasn't bad. Started to get interesting 90 minutes in.
Sometimes TV shows take a while to build momentum.

RoboCop (1987): 7.5/10

I was surprised too. It's better than "Mystic River" and "Gone Baby Gone".
As long as I like The Drop... it's not near to be good as Gone Baby Gone or Mystic River...

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
Rush To Judgement - Documentary on the JFK assassination. I believe Mark Lane was the first one to question the Warren Report, even before Jim Garrison. I highly recommend it.

The Bourne Legacy (2012)

I actually really enjoyed this. Liked the cast and thought everything was pretty well done for a main-stream action series production. This is the first Bourne movie I've seen, it seems like there was a lot of referencing to the previous trilogy but felt like it didn't get in the way of enjoying this one without having seen those. Very entertaining, and makes me want to see the other ones!

The Bourne Legacy (2012)

I actually really enjoyed this. Liked the cast and thought everything was pretty well done for a main-stream action series production. This is the first Bourne movie I've seen, it seems like there was a lot of referencing to the previous trilogy but felt like it didn't get in the way of enjoying this one without having seen those. Very entertaining, and makes me want to see the other ones!

it's the best bourne film IMO.
none of that cheesy amnesia crap.

"""" Hulk Smashhhh."""

Not actually a bad movie. Good to see the early days of all these rappers and how they came about. Its probably the best rap movie out there when it comes to the likes of 8 Mile, Get Rich Or Die Trying, and Notorious.

"Banshee is the greatest thing ever. "

it's the best bourne film IMO.
none of that cheesy amnesia crap.
Just checked and it seems like all three in the trilogy have much higher ratings than Legacy did. Legacy actually has some pretty mediocre scores, which I'm pretty surprised at. Thought it was a lot better than what those ratings suggested. Then again I guess I shouldn't judge until I've seen all of them.

Could be worse. In fact, it was.

I know... Oh God it's awful.

Boulevard was his last dramatic performance though and I expected so much more. I feel so bad for Mr. Williams, he really suffered in his last days and nothing he jumped into seemed to help him move forward. He was desperate, loosing money, getting disease after disease, which ultimately led to him taking his own life. He must've have been so deep down I can't even imagine it... Rest in peace.

The thing isolated becomes incomprehensible

Elite Squad [Tropa de Elite] (2007)
+

Gritty Brazilian action drama that holds the attention once it settles down after a slightly disorienting opening sequence.
U should check Elite Squad 2!

Finished here. It's been fun.

7 Women

"so long, ya bastard"

So this is how the Fordster goes out? Damn. This is one of Ford's absolute best, no doubt about it. Also, might be one of the "darker" films in his canon, dealing with topics such as morality, religious hypocrisy, rape, the brutal nature of man, and the necessity of sacrifice for the greater good. This is one of those good ol' films that needs to be analyzed extensively;there's a lot here to look into. The film is bleak, often hopeless, yet there's still a sense of warmth and humor to the whole picture. It looks sensational too, gorgeous framing and compositions. The man was a master with b/w photography, but he was amazing at using color too! This is also one darn entertaining picture. I had like two hours of sleep, was in a piss-poor mood, yet was engrossed throughout.

so yeah, this was pretty rad as i'm sure you all can tell. This seriously needs a criterion release or a blu-ray release for that matter.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
The Pumpkin Eater - 10/10

Wow... First time watching this film. Perfect 10 after my one-year anniversary on here, fitting. The only bad part of this film is when the screen goes blank and you know it's over, though I did want to suspend time in my mind and hope it wasn't.

Film on domestic problems. Great script, directing, acting, and music, which is something I never mention. I highly recommend this film!