Eurovision Song Contest 2016

Tools    

I had hoped Australia would have won. They had the best song in my opinion. And yes it would have been fun to see who would host it if Australia had won.

I had hoped Australia would have won. They had the best song in my opinion. And yes it would have been fun to see who would host it if Australia had won.
It is said it would have been Germany, with the BBC here in the UK second if they refuse. Totally unfair - we're supposed to be friends with Australia yet they not only betray us by not giving 12 points to our entry but also don't make us their number one choice to host if they won.

As somebody from the UK, I'm furious that the rest of Europe continue to hate us and refuse to say why.

I'm not sure what we're supposed to have done wrong.
I'm not sure what place UK ended up, but l know you didn't get very far. I don't think it was a bad song, but I don't think it was that special. Though I don't think you deserve to get that few points.

I guess it's punishment for once sending Jedward to the Eurovision .

Here's a question for the people from the UK:

I found this article on Buzzfeed called "19 Times Graham Norton was Really Sassy During Eurovision 2016" - as you can see it shows his comments from the Eurovision. Now I do know who Norton is, and I love watching his talk show and it his sassy comments on there are brilliant.

But I'm personally used to a commentator on Eurovision which is more neutral. I mean the danish commentator would never say something like
“...Now forgive me, maybe I am just getting old and grumpy, but there isn’t a single thing about this woman that doesn’t annoy me...”

I think this bothers me because I don't like people influencing what I think about the various artists, I would like to make my own decisions of who I like and who I don't like.

I'm thinking this might just be a cultural difference, but what I just wanted to hear, is how you feel about Norton as a commentator? Do you enjoy the 'sassy' comments?

I'm not sure what place UK ended up, but l know you didn't get very far. I don't think it was a bad song, but I don't think it was that special. Though I don't think you deserve to get that few points.

Thankfully that was Ireland, not us.

Here's a question for the people from the UK:

I found this article on Buzzfeed called "19 Times Graham Norton was Really Sassy During Eurovision 2016" - as you can see it shows his comments from the Eurovision. Now I do know who Norton is, and I love watching his talk show and it his sassy comments on there are brilliant.

But I'm personally used to a commentator on Eurovision which is more neutral. I mean the danish commentator would never say something like
“...Now forgive me, maybe I am just getting old and grumpy, but there isn’t a single thing about this woman that doesn’t annoy me...”

I think this bothers me because I don't like people influencing what I think about the various artists, I would like to make my own decisions of who I like and who I don't like.

I'm thinking this might just be a cultural difference, but what I just wanted to hear, is how you feel about Norton as a commentator? Do you enjoy the 'sassy' comments?
I don't think he's sassy enough. Terry Wogan took it further.

God knows I'm not proud of it but the terrible twins actually represented Ireland, not the UK Much preferred it when we put forward Dustin myself

I don't like Norton's commentary myself, so much so that I even tolerate our smug Marty on RTE in preference. Wogan was much more subtle yet at times cutting imo. Interesting how the UK have used Irish people to do their commentary for quite some time now - just another way of distancing themselves from the whole thing I guess.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
But I'm personally used to a commentator on Eurovision which is more neutral.
Nah, we're used to a commentator who takes the mick out of the whole thing.

Nah, we're used to a commentator who takes the mick out of the whole thing.
has to be done! seems weird to me how anyone can take so many countries picking sh*te songs with unimpressive singers without taking the piss

has to be done! seems weird to me how anyone can take so many countries picking sh*te songs with unimpressive singers without taking the piss
Dustin.
Was.
Not.
Sh*te.

Ok, he was really and it was the Irish way of saying we don't want to win 'cos we can't afford to be hosting it

I work for Keyser Soze. He feels you owe him.
Eurovision gets more about politics with every damn year...

I'm with those who think Graham isn't cutting enough. I love Eurovision and I thought this years was the best production in ages. Maybe the best yet. But, by Christ, too many of the songs were a struggle to get through one after the other. Taking the piss out of it all is the best entertainment there is. I think this is a cultural thing, though. We don't take it seriously. Even the people who love it (like myself) don't take it seriously, whereas in other European countries, it's a big deal and this really is among the best stuff. Big hits that have already been #1 and heard all over.

It could be quite interesting to see what would happen if we took it seriously for a decade or so. Coldplay, One Direction, Adele or whoever.

I honestly don't care where the UK ends up because there's no pride in it for me but, for once, I did think we deserved to do better. There were an awful lot of warbling mediocre songs this year (including the winner) and it should've been above all of them on merit. Hopefully a lot more countries will take notice of the 'how to win Eurovision' song and next year will be much better.

The finale was exciting, my sister was literally on the edge of her seat because she wanted Australia to win so much, but I agree that it might make the first half of the voting seem pointless as anything else other than a guide.

Belguim and Bulgaria were by far the best and it was nice to see Belgium do well and it was nice to see Germany and Spain do some fairly Euro stuff.

I'm slightly surprised to see that Germany would be the first choice if Australia had/does win. I'd have thought London would've been the choice, what with the amount of Aussies there.

As for Poland making such a huge jump, I think that just illustrates what I was saying about the movement of a nation population around Europe and how it affects Eurovision. I quite liked Poland this year because of his coat and the fact that he looked like he was going to cry at any minute. But it wasn't a good song. Decent, but not good.