Were the 70s the best decade for Film ?

Tools    

Like my tittle said .

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
No.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

I think that 1976 is one of the best years ever for film. The Godfathers are among the best films ever. I don't have nearly enough knowledge on aching before the 70s, but I can't think a specific decade that I would call better.

Yes, to me it is.
Same, but pre 70s I really haven't seen enough to judge. Or if I want to go even further I don't think I've seen enough to judge any decade. From what I've seen the 70s is my favorite.

These best decade questions are really impossible to answer since only a few members here have seen a significant amount from each decade, and even they will have big gaps in their knowledge.

Hmm, not sure that's a question anyone can answer from an artistic point of view. A bit like asking what the best decade for music was. Depends how old you are.. My son thinks Guardians of the Galaxy was the best film he's ever seen, but then again, he's had less time to watch movies than most of us. All about perspective, I guess.

Absolutely. Whenever I watch any movie from the 70s, I'm struck by the realism, the honesty, lack of pretense... unbelievable movies. It just had great characters.

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's nest
Taxi Driver
The Godfather
French Connection
Rocky
The Exorcist
Serpico
Butch and Sundance (1969)
Chinatown
All the President's Men
The Conversation
Jaws
Dog Day Afternoon
... It just goes on and on and on and on...People really made the movies to tell good stories back then. Never really thought of the 70s that way, but was truly a great decade for great movies. Early 80s were good too. Even the 90s weren't that bad.

2015 sucks.

Absolutely. Whenever I watch any movie from the 70s, I'm struck by the realism, the honesty, lack of pretense... unbelievable movies. It just had great characters.

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's nest
Taxi Driver
The Godfather
French Connection
Rocky
The Exorcist
Serpico
Butch and Sundance (1969)
Chinatown
All the President's Men
The Conversation
Jaws
Dog Day Afternoon
... It just goes on and on and on and on...People really made the movies to tell good stories back then. Never really thought of the 70s that way, but was truly a great decade for great movies. Early 80s were good too. Even the 90s weren't that bad.

2015 sucks.
you forgot Apocalypse now, one of the best films of all time.

I say yes. It is also my favorite decade. This the decade of New Hollywood where Hollywood gave control of their films to the directors and less so the producers. Coppola, Scorsese, Spielberg, Milius, Lucas, De Palma, and others spread their wings and gave us fantastic films like Taxi Driver, Jaws, and everything Coppola made in the 70's. Not to mention other already established filmmakers like Kubrick and Lumet made great films like Network, and A Clockwork Orange.

But the 70's was also a time of some fantastic exploitation movies. Blaxploitation gave rise to films like Coffy and Foxy Brown starring the stunning Pam Grier, Death Wish was a great vigilante movie, and Christina Lindberg was hot as hell in They Call Her One Eye.

Plus the 70's was the decade of midnight movies. Films that insulted mainstream tastes but drew a small but very dedicated audience to showings at midnight. It started with El Topo, but continued with films like Pink Flamingos, Eraserhead, and The Rocky Horror Picture Show.

you forgot Apocalypse now, one of the best films of all time.
I did . It is one of the best films of all time.

Some great films in the 70s yeah - objectively it might be the best though it's not my personal favorite