Anyone interested in a musical hall of fame?

Tools    

A loving heart is the truest wisdom.
So, for this countdown what counts as a musical? Having a song in the movie doesn't seem enough to qualify bcause I can think of several films that use songs during montages or to enhance a scene’s atmosphere that aren’t generally considered musicals like Princess Mononoke, Shrek, and The Secret of NIMH. I’m not trying to rush things but if some ground rules are laid down now about what’s allowed and what isn’t we might avoid all the fuss the animation and sequel/prequel countdowns had.

The thing isolated becomes incomprehensible
It's hard for me to really like a musical... The exceptions so far have been Singing in the Rain and The Umbrellas of Cherbourg. So, if a HoF gives me a chance to add some more to the exceptions, I'm in!

I have a great nomination, but not sure if I will join. Someone might choose The Sound of Music and the thought of sitting through that makes my blood run cold

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I have a great nomination, but not sure if I will join. Someone might choose The Sound of Music and the thought of sitting through that makes my blood run cold

I can't speak for anyone else, but if it helps get more people to join the Musical HoF, I promise that I won't nominate The Sound of Music.

nice one gbg
Don't want to be accused of influencing the process tho!

That's okay. You didn't influence me at all.

I haven't decided on my nomination yet, but I made a list of possibilities, and The Sound of Music didn't make my list anyway.

So, for this countdown what counts as a musical? Having a song in the movie doesn't seem enough to qualify bcause I can think of several films that use songs during montages or to enhance a scene’s atmosphere that aren’t generally considered musicals like Princess Mononoke, Shrek, and The Secret of NIMH. I’m not trying to rush things but if some ground rules are laid down now about what’s allowed and what isn’t we might avoid all the fuss the animation and sequel/prequel countdowns had.
IMO, a musical has to have the actors in the movie actually singing several or more songs, and as part of the movies story. A song played in the background, like American Graffiti would not be a musical. Juno which has the 2 leads singing 1 song at the end of the film is not a musical.

I'm absolutely down with a musical hall of fame, but before I submit, I need to know exactly what the rules are.
Hi Gideon it would be great to have you. Before the musical HoF starts the rules will be defined. I think it will be fun! Just keep checking back on the thread.

IMO, a musical has to have the actors in the movie actually singing several or more songs, and as part of the movies story. A song played in the background, like American Graffiti would not be a musical. Juno which has the 2 leads singing 1 song at the end of the film is not a musical.

I agree with this definition. The songs must be part of the movie, not just background music, and they should be sung by the characters in the movie.

And there have to be songs throughout the movie, not just two or three songs in the whole movie.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
Yeah, a film in which a character sings karaoke once is not a musical, there has to be singing throughout. The Umbrellas of Cherbourg doesn't really have songs as such, it's just continuous singing, but I'd say that counts. Also, it's awesome.

A loving heart is the truest wisdom.
Works for me. That rule might have to bent here and there though. I'm pretty sure Disney's Tarzan doesn't have any onscreen characters singing and The Prince of Egypt's songs are mostly in the character's heads.

Yeah, a film in which a character sings karaoke once is not a musical, there has to be singing throughout. The Umbrellas of Cherbourg doesn't really have songs as such, it's just continuous singing, but I'd say that counts. Also, it's awesome.

I agree that The Umbrellas of Cherbourg is a musical, and it should be eligible. I also agree that it's awesome.

Works for me. That rule might have to bent here and there though. I'm pretty sure Disney's Tarzan doesn't have any onscreen characters singing and The Prince of Egypt's songs are mostly in the character's heads.

I guess whoever runs the tournament will have to decide on the exceptions to the rules, but as long as the songs are actually part of the movie, and not just background music, then I think the movie should be eligible.