The 1980s - As seen through the eyes of JayDee

→ in
Tools    

That's an excellent list, JD. Plenty of + rep from me. Especially as you had The Hidden, American Flyers, Ruthless People, Southern Comfort, To Live And Die In L.A. and Class Of 1984 on it.

Miss Vicky's Loyal and Willing Slave
What the heck have you people done? I post a bunch of movies and return to find out the thread has been hijacked to discuss the Muppets and their sexual fetishes?!!!

Some really good films there. Believe it or not, my fave would probably be Ruthless People.
Thanks Mark. Your seal of approval is about the highest praise possible. And if you're giving me the choice I choose not. No that's cool to hear. It's been quite a few years since I've seen Ruthless People but I remember really loving it. In fact it's on my list to rewatch for a potential place on my top 100.

Now that looks much more like the 80s I remember!!
Glad to oblige Vicky.

Surely you are kidding.
She's not kidding. And don't call her Shirley! Her name is Vicky.

How about that? Not only am I giving you 80s movies, but jokes from 80s movies!

Still missing Temple of Doom though.
Where is it missing from? Didn't put it on the list of 100 as it made the official list, and it didn't come close to my own 25. It's still got some good/great stuff - great scenes and set-pieces, set and production design etc. However it's also got a couple of things going against it. I greatly prefer the riddle-solving, treasure hunting aspect of the first and third films. The real problem however that stops me from really liking/loving Temple of Doom is Indy's companions. I find both Short Round and Willie Scott to be just exceptionally irritating. Had they been replaced in this film with the likes of Marion, Sallah, Marcus Brody or Indy's father I imagine I would like it a great deal more.

Also Excalibur and A Fish Called Wanda (and Dragonslayer, Clash of the Titans, etc.), but hey, it's not my decade.
Oh the 1980s as seen through the eyes of Mark; I think that's something we'd all like to see.

Well Excalibur I've not seen and don't think I'd even heard of until arriving on the site and seeing it was a favourite of yours. It's now one I have a great interest in seeing and have actually been meaning to watch very recently so could get to it very soon. Fished Called Wanda I've seen bits of but never the whole thing yet. Dragonslayer I don't think I've seen but I'm not entirely sure; I get my dragon films mixed up. And Clash of the Titans was one I liked when I was younger. However I just watched it a couple of weeks ago and found it a bit of a slog to get through. It just about got by thanks to a ramshackle, naive charm that came about largely because of Ray Harryhausen.

That's an excellent list, JD. Plenty of + rep from me. Especially as you had The Hidden, American Flyers, Ruthless People, Southern Comfort, To Live And Die In L.A. and Class Of 1984 on it.
Thanks HK. I thought you'd appreciate it for those you've mentioned alongside the likes of Top Gun, Road House, Commando, The Hitcher etc. So what do you like better, my list or the official list?

And wow! at another mention for Ruthless People. Didn't think that was a particularly well-known or thought-of film. Can't remember really hearing or seeing anything about it on here or anywhere else for that matter. Same thing for American Flyers.

Miss Vicky's Loyal and Willing Slave
Just remembered one that somehow vanished from my list. Definitely remember adding it to the list but must somehow have got deleted before I got to the stage of prepping the posters - Casualties of War

Just remembered one that somehow vanished from my list. Definitely remember adding it to the list but must somehow have got deleted before I got to the stage of prepping the posters - Casualties of War

That is not '80s. That is Miss Vicky.

Well, you know... too bad it didn't come closer. It would have knocked off that Woody Allen thing.