The 1990s - As seen through the eyes of JayDee

→ in
Tools    

Miss Vicky's Loyal and Willing Slave
First of all yes Sexy I did steal your idea! At times throughout the 90s countdown I actually found myself agreeing with Sexy (a scary prospect I tell you! ) about it not feeling particularly 90s on occasion, at least not how I remembered the 90s. Following Sexy's attempt at a list I decided to attempt my own just for a bit of a fun, purely a personal project. When I was done with it however I decided that I may as well post it here in case someone was perhaps interested in it. Might get a laugh from it or even get the odd recommendation.

Now this certainly isn't what I think are the best films of the 90s, or even my favourites; they're just films that I really liked/loved during the period. Many of them I've not seen in years so don't know what I'd think of them these days but they are ones I all have good memories of. To make the list easier to wittle down and also to make it more interesting to post I've discounted all films that made the official list, as well as sequels. I've also left out a bunch of great films which I've seen more recently, many of which I've reviewed if anyone is interested - Misery, Falling Down, Gattaca, Pump Up the Volume, Perfect World etc. I left them off as they don't really represent films I'd associate with watching in the 90s. As you'll see for me the decade was largely about big action flicks, animated films, kids/family films and dumb comedies. Wait a minute...that's what I still like two decades later!

Anyway on with my little bit of nonsense. If anyone wants to criticise the films I've gone with fair enough but it's just a bit of fun and really shouldn't be taken all that seriously.

PS - And I've just realised I made an error and it's actually ended up as 101 films

... ...

... ...

... ...

... ...

... ...

... ...

... ...

... ...

Ace Ventura and Austin Powers scream 90's to me. I think it is how quotable they were to the point that they became part of the culture. Back to the Future just feels 80's, even if the third one is not. Goldeneye, Fugitive, and Dances With Wolves are movies I love but don't really connect them with a particular decade or generation.

We've gone on holiday by mistake
Yea this is more the 90's as I remember them. Speaking as a 29 year old.

Wayne's World, very 90's. There was a time I thought Dana Carvey was funny, seems strange now. Jerry Maguire is on of my faves.

For me,nothing is more 90s like Jim Carrey and Home Alone.Well,at least that was what I watched on TV repeatedly.

White Men Can't Jump

The Iron Giant
-

MouseHunt

Back to the Future Part III

Cool Runnings

GoldenEye

Home Alone

The Muppet Christmas Carol

The Rock

Die Hard with a Vengeance
+

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
+

Face/Off

Aladdin
Hercules

Kindergarten Cop

Jumanji

Mrs. Doubtfire

Rush Hour
-

Independence Day
+

Ace Ventura: Pet Detective

Casper

The Lost World: Jurassic Park

Men In Black

Sister Act
+

The Mummy

The Mask

Wow that really is pretty high as far as you're concerned HK. And I just had to add in Ghost and Sister Act especially for you.

JayDee, I was counting on you, man, to help get Pump Up The Volume on that diseased, treacherous travesty of an official MoFo '90s list....

I really, really hate The Muppet Christmas Carol. The absolute worst thing the Muppets ever did in my opinion.

Chappie doesn't like the real world
I really, really hate The Muppet Christmas Carol. The absolute worst thing the Muppets ever did in my opinion.
I agree that it's the worst thing they've ever done, but I still like it.