Deadwood

Tools    

The People's Republic of Clogher
I'm in.

has lost it's renowned edginess so I've got a Dan Dority sized gap in my viewing schedule.

Incidentally, Dority is a deviation of Docherty, a Derry name. The presenter of Lesser Spotted Ulster, Joe Mahon, is a Derry man.

I love it when a plan comes together!

It seems I have kind of inspired you all to give Deadwood a re watch, dunno who fast you guys get through TV series but it should be good discussing this with you

We'd discussed it a while back, if I'm not mistaken, but it's always nicer to have a few more participating. When my dander's up, I can get through a season in a few days if there's not much going on.

If you like DVD commentaries, I'd highly recommend Deadwood's too. Interesting, varied and, in the case of McShane & Olyphant's, hilarious.

We'd discussed it a while back, if I'm not mistaken, but it's always nicer to have a few more participating. When my dander's up, I can get through a season in a few days if there's not much going on.

If you like DVD commentaries, I'd highly recommend Deadwood's too. Interesting, varied and, in the case of McShane & Olyphant's, hilarious.
Yeh, I've finished I can look through the thread and actually read/reply to things without being spoiled, and things will be fresh in your mind as well. I'll probably watch a few episodes tonight, I should finish the first series soon

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
huge, HUGE fan of Deadwood!! about once a year I'll do a complete re-watche of all 3 seasons
an as for re-watch, i'm about 7 episodes into season 3, presently.

Yes Deadwood was one of the best series ever aired. Even though it was the most verbally vulgar shows even by todays standards, the dialogue was well written. Just exceptional stuff, and a tear bout comes to my eye that Ian McShane isnt a huge star right now.

The Adventure Starts Here!
Well, he's around in bits and pieces (Pillars of the Earth, most notably), but yeah, he should be much bigger than he is right now after Deadwood. Unless, of course, that was such a larger-than-life role played so beautifully that it'll be tough for him to do other things. (Even in Pillars, he was great but I kept waiting for him to break out in a long line of obscenities, LOL).

McShane was a pretty big star in the 80s and 90s but it was mainly due to British TV, Lovejoy in particular. Apart from a great little turn in Sexy Beast. he'd totally dropped of my map until I saw him on a talk show promoting season one of Deadwood.

Ahhh, Lovejoy. As uncomplicated and comfortable as an old pair of slippers.

Right! I've cleared the decks and am about to embark on the good ship Deadwood. Will report progress.

Unregistered User
I'm in.

has lost it's renowned edginess so I've got a Dan Dority sized gap in my viewing schedule.

Incidentally, Dority is a deviation of Docherty, a Derry name. The presenter of Lesser Spotted Ulster, Joe Mahon, is a Derry man.

I love it when a plan comes together!
Off topic.
Have to say Tac, i never expected to read the words 'Lesser Spotted Ulster' on a movie forum. Should i be proud?

Of course. A man must never deny UTV!

Some day Julian Simmons might be Googling for any mention of himself and it could lead him here. He'll sign up then tell all his celebrity friends - Eventually, MoFo becomes a legitimate third force in Ulster politics forcing either Peter or Marty into an uneasy coalition.

Then we make them watch Deadwood.

Was just watching an episode of Deadwood and my mum goes 'that looks like Ian McShane', told her it was and asked her how she knew him, said Lovejoy

Haven't want much recently, just watched Episode 9 so three quarters of the way through the first season

Lovejoy was a rare beast: A comedy drama done right and enjoyed by all ages. Ian La Frenais had a hand in it, so the quality wasn't surprising.

ITV (the competing channel) apparently went to great lengths to change its Sunday night schedule when Lovejoy was at its peak, so great was McShane's pull. They started showing their movie premieres an hour earlier than usual to clash with Lovejoy. The BBC would kill for 15mil viewers for a drama these days - Doctor Who gets half that.

I also remember him in one of the big 80s US soaps - Dallas or Dysentery, can't remember which.

"My name is Psycho but you can call me Stuart."
I'm certainly no prude, but the excess of profanity took some getting used to when I first started watching Deadwood. In fact, I was like...whoa! I do understand that David Milch was looking for the same level of impact that words which were regarded as most profane then; damn, hell etc thus his use of the modern day equivalents. Anyway, I loved the show. Still do! There was/is something contagious and endearing about Deadwood with its crude and gritty characters, quasi-Elizabethan dialogue.

I remember being so dismayed that Deadwood wasn't going to be extended to a 4th season as David Milch had intended.

Deadwood is finally (officially) coming to Blu Ray in the UK! Thanks to my good buddy, prestige, for the heads-up.

Link

No idea if the set includes the lovely extras that the US BDs and DVDs have, but I'm not optimistic. The UK DVDs don't have any.

The fact that this series didnt serve as a springboard for Ian McShanes ability to get real roles is a testament of the incompetence of Hollywood. He played the king in Jack The Giant Slayer recently

Welcome to the human race...
I finally watched Deadwood in its entirety at some point in the past year and while I really liked it for the most part, at some time during the last two or three episodes of season two I felt like I hit a wall with it. It really was a surprisingly clear realisation of "I don't love this show". I still finished the entire series out of sheer determination (I'd blind-bought the entire series on the basis of its many sterling accolades, after all) but yeah, I'd be hard-pressed to say I loved it as much as the rest of you. Still a very good show, in any case.

A quick heads-up on the Deadwood UK spec Blu Ray set mentioned a few posts above - It's utter garbage.

Top Amazon review:

This rating is not for the show, which is fantastic. It is for the audio track which has been confirmed by Paramount and Zavvi as being defective. There is a clear echo on all discs, which render the blu rays unwatchable. The problem is now well known, but Paramount are to date refusing to exchange the discs.
The other reviews say much the same.

Ah well, I guess now is the time to seriously think about investing in a Region A player. Again.