Deadwood

Tools    

"Do you know what 'Nemesis' means?"
I was turned on to Deadwood by a group of friends & bought the 1st season last year on DVD for about £3 thinking, "for that money, I can put up with it - only an American western TV series, after all"

Wow.

From the first scene, I was hooked - that first day I watched 4 episodes & went straight online to buy the other 2 seasons.

There are so many reasons to recommend Deadwood, from the superb ensemble cast, none of whom put a foot wrong, cinematography to die for, a script which goes from the profane to Shakespearean & back again (often in the same sentence) and just a sense of the whole 'feel' being... right.

The Adventure Starts Here!
That's the beauty of Deadwood: It just feels right. Since watching Deadwood, I've noticed just how "clean" and polished every other western looks. Deadwood is gritty and ugly and dirty (in all senses of the word), and that just makes it feel right.

The People's Republic of Clogher
It was the greatest American TV show I've ever seen. Biblically good.

My only gripe is that the Blu Ray release is region-locked and my Region A player went pop a few years ago. The R2 DVDs come in a lovely box but have absolutely no extras, unlike the R1s. Thankfully region free DVD players are ten-a-penny.

I just don't understand why it's not available on blu ray for us lot. Takes the piss.

Probably the best western tv series ever. A real wild west gritty feel.
Loved the main characters and wish they had 10 seasons of it.
When they pulled the plug after season 3, I was really surprised.

"Do you know what 'Nemesis' means?"
That's the beauty of Deadwood: It just feels right. Since watching Deadwood, I've noticed just how "clean" and polished every other western looks
Exactly - face it Calamity Jane in Deadwood is hardly going to break into Doris Day's 'Deadwood Stage' now, is she?

More likely to fall over the guitar, swear for about half an hour, throw up, & pass out whilst farting uncontrollably.

Exhibit one:

Eeeeer - nah!

Exhibit two (hint, she's the one without the beard):

And for balance, the real CJ:

Sorry Harmonica.......I got to stay here.
Without the beard....lol

Interesting how the attractiveness goes exponentially downward!

It was the greatest American TV show I've ever seen. Biblically good.

My only gripe is that the Blu Ray release is region-locked and my Region A player went pop a few years ago. The R2 DVDs come in a lovely box but have absolutely no extras, unlike the R1s. Thankfully region free DVD players are ten-a-penny.
I finally broke down and bought this DVD set (just regular, not Blu Ray), and although the packaging is lovely to look at, it's just a nightmare to work with if you're trying to watch through the series with a few episodes back to back.

For one thing, each disc has about two episodes on it so you're switching out discs all the time. Also, there's no way to make it play both episodes back to back. It takes you back out to the main menu after each episode and it takes about four remote-clicks to get back into the other episode.

And each disc sits in a strange little pocket that is a pain, again, if you're trying to watch a succession of episodes in the same sitting.

But, at least I now own the whole series ... except the two discs Yoda can't find now that he borrowed it from me.

I wonder if your set is the same as mine?

It's lovely to look at sitting on a shelf but, you're right, the discs themselves are a right pain to access.

Saddo that I am, I later bought the R1 imports purely for the extras.

P.S. I paid about $25 less for it than it's listed for currently on Amazon. The prices on these sorts of things fluctuates wildly, I've found. If I put something on my Wish List and just wait, I see the prices of things go all over the place. It's like playing the stock market. I try to wait for a really good downward slump before buying.

I do the same with my Wish List.

Finally found my camera! Here's what mine looks like inside - Slick but the individual seasons are a pain to remove. You've got to pull the ribbon and pray your nails are long enough to dig the digipacks out of the box.

I was about to bump this thread, if knew it existing. Literally finished Season 1 re-watch last night, think got half way through S2 on last attempt. Fantastic show, with some utterly perfect performances - particularly Dourif, McShane, Boothe and whoever played the Reverend in S1. My only gripe is Calamity Jane, CAN NOT STAND HER. Puts me off whenever she turns up and do something else, maybe why never finished first time.

For the record, my boxset is individual slim cases on slipcase. Not great presentation but was only £20 for lot, new

It's like a "book" with fat pages that each hold one disc (with those two episodes on them). The book then fits into that slipcase on the right. Really annoying to have to go through multiple clicks for EACH EPISODE to play and then to have to switch discs after only two episodes...

... and to try to get them back in these sleeves. The glue around the edges of these "pages" is iffy too and I've had to use some light glue in spots to keep the edges down. All in all, unhappy with the packaging, but it was only about $57 when I bought it (free two-day shipping), so I won't complain.

Pyro - I initially had the same problems with Jane. She was an overbearing, loud drunk and not much more. The character does develop but I don't sometimes know whether to laugh at her or with her, or empathise with her.

We're probably meant to do all three.

Aus - Argh. I take it back about mine - that looks awful. I know they probably won't but whenever I see packaging like that I immediately think 'scratches'.

Same here re. Jane. And I think the issues I had were that at first she seems like she's SO overblown that she just doesn't fit in and seems too much of a misfit. But it doesn't take long to realize she's a misfit among a bunch of misfits, and so she fits right in.

Also, I think the other actors are so perfect here, so well crafted, and so well chosen that there was bound to be at least one character that didn't seem quite as perfect... even if she is quite good.

In other words, she has a lot of competition here.

I also agree with Taccy that she does develop over time/seasons. And she gets some of the classic, great lines here and there too.

"Lie on your back, take aim and piss."

And I can't remember the specifics of one where she says (to Charlie and Seth as they're contemplating going back to Al to get Seth's gun) something like: "Doesn't do your face no f**ckin' favors neither."

Been trying to find that quote online and can't find it.

I don't that it's she's overblown, her character and actions are just grinding. If anything, the fact she's a misfit within misfits means other characters react to her normally and we don't even get the benefit of her being overblown in an interesting way and the reactions of others to her. Just know I enjoy it a lot more when she's off screen all episode.