Lost (Possible Spoilers)

Tools    

After about three-quarters of a year's wait, last night was finally it, and wow--it was well worth the wait. A few thoughts/questions:

[spoilers]

I'm devastated that Juliet is dead, but I already had a strong feeling that she wouldn't make it long through this season, so it wasn't a totally shocking blow. I didn't care for her much when she was originally introduced, but she came to grow on me until, eventually, she became one of my favorite characters (thanks to her relationship with Sawyer). Sayid I neither really like nor really dislike, so him being revived during the show's final few seconds didn't affect me too deeply; I'm just glad we finally got to see the Temple.

I'm curious as HELL about Richard and The Man in Black's relationship/history. Does anybody else in the show's present day even know about The Man in Black's existence? The Black Smoke Monster is very well-known on the island, but is its human form? How many of the Others know about him and the Smoke Monster being one-and-the-same?

I wonder if we're going to see more of Claire. And it looks as though we'll be seeing more of Jacob, albeit only via Hurley's encounters with him (since he's dead). I wonder what will become of that; how often we'll see him, and what else he's going to tell Hurley during their encounters. I only wonder this because Jacob is my favorite character/mystery in the entire show.

One last thought: what's going on with this alternate reality where the plane never crashed--with Desmond on the flight and Hurley being the "luckiest guy in the world"?

All-around very confusing, but very, very good. More questions than answers, but hey--it's LOST.

My Movie Review Thread | My Top 100

The Adventure Starts Here!
Yeah, Dom, that ONE little part bugged me about the no-crash alternate universe/timeline (Hurley feeling lucky, Desmond being on the plane), until I thought about it a little longer....

Remember that this alternate timeline is happening PRECISELY because in 1977 that bomb exploded and split the scenarios in two (assuming that's what is happening). SO, anything happening post-1977 in this alternate/new timeline could be different from our original timeline. Jack wasn't exactly right in thinking that it would just pick up where it left off with the crash. It had different things leading UP to it because anything post-bomb-explosion could have happened differently. Subtle things ... like Jack's dad not being put on the plane, and Hurley feeling lucky, and Desmond being on the plane for some reason.... and the island being at the bottom of the sea (which happened sometime between 1977 and the new 2004 in that scenario).

Those were hints to us viewers that this no-crash timeline WOULD in fact have some differences and wouldn't simply pick up from where the crash should have happened....

Hope that's clear the way I worded it!

In other words, think about the ending of "Back to the Future," where Marty McFly sees his "new" present-day family, all successful and happy, because of something he'd done back in 1955. Same principle here.

jrs, that was ME that wouldn't watch spoilers for the new season..
Actually Chris (and Powdered Water) wouldn't either. They were the ones who respond saying they wouldn't watch the 4 minutes. That's why I mentioned Chris in my post. But yes I know you wouldn't watch spoilers either cause I did even say 'and few others'.

Originally Posted by Sedai
This thread is tagged with spoilers in the title. No need to use tags in here.
So if I were to post spoilers for upcoming episodes no tags are needed? That would ruin what's called a spoiler. l0l

I think the initial thought for Richard and chains was him on the slave ship or it was a ironic quip after Jacob's death, as in he's free from Jacob as his master. I think that Richard may resemble a win for Jacob, using free-will to stay on the island, be immortal and serve Jacob opposed to his destiny of whatever that may have been.

One thing that bugs me about Smokey MIB is that Ben summoned him.

Another thought re:Sayid/Jacob- what if he's now a follower of the MIB, wearing black, water being different etc. My initial thought was he'd crossed over with his alternate time-line self

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
JRS - You don't get it. You only talk about the show that just aired, not upcoming episodes.

Suspect's Reviews

Hmm...why does that bother you about Ben? I'm not sure Ben knew WHY his summoning worked (he always called Smokey "it" and feared it), but he knew the *mechanics* of how to do it. Ben's nothing if not opportunistic.

As for Sayid -- if he's Jacob reincarnate, he would NOT be following MIB! To me it would simply mean that the rivalry between them continues. Unsure why the water being different would mean Sayid is now a follower of MIB. The water was different before they put him in it. I just assumed that something had changed but we don't know how or why yet -- the water was no longer clear. (I quipped, "Yeah, the sewer line down the street busted and they're working on it.")

I think that the water not being clear definitely affected what happened to Sayid in some way, though -- he didn't heal as they had expected, and I don't think he DID heal the right way. I'm still thinkin' he's the embodiment of Jacob now and not just healed.

Ben summoned smokey by accident, and he didnt know SmokeyLocke was the MIB.
Ben has summoned Smokey on purpose several times in the past few seasons -- including in the end of season 5 when he unclogged the big dirt toilet in his basement.

He definitely knows how to purposely summon Smokey -- but he just doesn't know it is the embodiment of a specific person. Well, until now...when it's all starting to come out.

We are, she has a pivotal role throughout the final season and was known to be in the final season since season 5 .
What do you mean by "pivotal"? Just because she's listed as a member of the cast for the final season doesn't mean we're guaranteed to see anything more about her than, say, shots of her pre-birth back in the no-crash new alternate timeline.... like Charlie.

I'm not necessarily convinced we'll see all that much of Claire in the present-day island timeline, except perhaps if they find her somehow. Not sure I'd call her role "pivotal" yet.

JRS - You don't get it. You only talk about the show that just aired, not upcoming episodes.
That's not a real spoiler if I talk about a show "that already aired". It's basically thoughts, questions and ideas of what happened. To be technical.

Yeah, Dom, that ONE little part bugged me about the no-crash alternate universe/timeline (Hurley feeling lucky, Desmond being on the plane), until I thought about it a little longer....

Remember that this alternate timeline is happening PRECISELY because in 1977 that bomb exploded and split the scenarios in two (assuming that's what is happening). SO, anything happening post-1977 in this alternate/new timeline could be different from our original timeline. Jack wasn't exactly right in thinking that it would just pick up where it left off with the crash. It had different things leading UP to it because anything post-bomb-explosion could have happened differently. Subtle things ... like Jack's dad not being put on the plane, and Hurley feeling lucky, and Desmond being on the plane for some reason.... and the island being at the bottom of the sea (which happened sometime between 1977 and the new 2004 in that scenario).

Those were hints to us viewers that this no-crash timeline WOULD in fact have some differences and wouldn't simply pick up from where the crash should have happened....

Hope that's clear the way I worded it!
That certainly makes sense and helps clear things up, Austruck. More or less, all that had crossed my mind, but still I was totally confused.

We are, she has a pivotal role throughout the final season and was known to be in the final season since season 5 .
This is good to hear; I was hoping that that one scene in the cab wouldn't turn out to be a one-time cameo.

What do you mean by "pivotal"?..
I'm not necessarily convinced we'll see all that much of Claire in the present-day island timeline, except perhaps if they find her somehow. Not sure I'd call her role "pivotal" yet.
Well i've been following up on lost news while the shows been on hiatus unlike you people who've been in the dark for months. She even stated she does at Comic-Con.

That's not a real spoiler if I talk about a show "that already aired". It's basically thoughts, questions and ideas of what happened. To be technical.
jrs, he didn't mean YOU you. He meant that the IDEA is to talk about already-aired shows here, and NOT upcoming episodes (in terms of spoilery information).

Well i've been following up on lost news while the shows been on hiatus unlike you people who've been in the dark for months. She even stated she does at Comic-Con.
Of COURSE she would say that about her own role. I am saying I will be believe it when I see it. At this point it depends on definitions of "pivotal" (did she use that word? just curious)...

To me personally, "pivotal" will mean anything going on in the present-day island timeline and not the no-crash timeline, but I realize that is a personal preference. And "pivotal" also means having a hand in shaping directly how the major plot arcs develop. Again, I'll believe that when I see it.

Now, if she said her role would be "major" or "omnipresent" or something, then that's a different matter. She could be in every single episode all season and still not necessarily reshape major plot developments -- just those involving her own self, yes, of course.

We'll wait and see -- since we ought not be posting spoilers for any unaired shows here, by semi-unspoken agreement since the thread started.

Yes she used the word "pivotal". And I would assume her role is of some sort of 'crucial importance' to this final season. We will be seeing a version of Claire we've never seen before - "a Rousseau-esque version." We'll be in need of a Rousseau fix since the real version will be MIA. The French Lady's portrayer, Mira Furlan, turned down the show's request to return for the final season due to a "prior overseas commitment.

Funny how you edited this post from what I got in my email notifications, jrs. At any rate, though, I'd LIKE to see her on the island, but I'll take new info on her in the no-crash timeline too.

Now, no more information from unaired upcoming stuff, please. Thanks.

Funny how you edited this post from what I got in my email notifications, jrs.
I can't edit your posts

At any rate, though, I'd LIKE to see her on the island
It would be cool but unfortunately Claire is dead, unless Jacob takes over her body.

Aus, i meant follower of MIB opposed to being Jacob reincarnate, obviously if he was reincarnate he wouldn't follow MIB! Like when Jacob was alive, the water was white-like him- and Others used it and followed him, now it's dark-like MIB- and Sayid being in it makes him follow MIB.

I get Ben wasn't aware of Smokey's origins etc but was more that Smokey was being used more as a weapon/security and how the heck that fits into MIB's actual agenda.