25th Hall of Fame

Tools    

Falstaff (Chimes at Midnight) (1965)
Directed By: Orson Welles
Starring: Orson Welles, Keith Baxter, John Gielgud

Welles apparently worked on the play that would later become Chimes at Midnight for a great deal of time before the film started production. It was originally pieced together from a number of Shakespeare's other works, then constantly edited and cut down after each unsuccessful attempt at performing it. He struggled to find funding for this version, and even had to resort to deceit to get it made. It's as though the universe itself were trying to tell him to just let it go, but he wouldn't listen.

The result of Welles' labour is a theatrical production that feels very much like a stage play put to film, for better or worse. I am not familiar with the original works that Chimes at Midnight was derived from, because they weren't covered in my classes in school, and I had no desire to read Shakespeare on my own accord. I found his writing unnecessarily verbose, and that problem naturally persists here.

Unfortunately, the film is plagued with technical issues regarding its sound. The dialogue is barely audible at times, and almost always muffled. Characters speaking off screen or with their backs turned to the camera are clearly dubbed in, and when they are side-on or in the distance, the sound is sometimes out of sync. It was incredibly distracting to the point where I had to turn on the subtitles. I didn't find the story to be compelling either, and all the comedic elements fell completely flat. This was a tedious viewing experience for me, though I'm sure fans of Shakespeare will find it more interesting.

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	Chimes.jpg
Views:	291
Size:	117.6 KB
ID:	77459  

Of course the standout scene,
WARNING: "Description of said standout scene" spoilers below
the large battle in the middle of the film, deserves its own special mention.
WARNING: "Chimes at Midnight" spoilers below
It was certainly effective at portraying the "fog of war", and it's probably one of my favourite sequences, in part due to the lack of dialogue.

Besides that scene, there was occasionally some great cinematography to be found throughout the film. I forgot to mention it in my previous post, but I particularly appreciated the use of contrast, like in the image I used at the top.

I watched La vérité (1960). Directed by Henri-Georges Clouzot, the film stars Brigitte Bardot as a woman on trial for murder. Bardot is beautiful and wonderful as usual, but the film itself was just alright for me. None of the other actors stood out and I felt the story had potential, but didn't wow me. I've seen 3 films by Clouzot and I think Les Diaboliques (1955) is his best and this one I would rank 3rd. La vérité is a good looking film and competently directed, but only moderately entertaining. My rating is a

@CitizenRules, not to nitpick, but there is an error in my numbers. It says 5/13 watched for me and then lists the 6 movies I watched. It should say 6/13. Thanks.

@CitizenRules, not to nitpick, but there is an error in my numbers. It says 5/13 watched for me and then lists the 6 movies I watched. It should say 6/13. Thanks.
Thanks and sorry...I 'll fix right now.

Maybe we should also have a winner for the fastest-written review.
WPM maybe?

The Truth

I was very much looking forward to this and it did not disappoint. Everything about it is an easy sell for me. It's has a familiar format as a courtroom drama that shows us the backstory. I'm fond of the director and of course I adore Brigitte Bardot. I think it works on every level but the cherry on top is its portrayal of a toxic relationship. Couples do things that are awful to each other that just don't make sense, and I thought it was interesting seeing these things discussed in court. There were a lot of realistic relationship intricacies that you usually don't see in film. It is a tragic tale that also happened to be entertaining. I loved it.

American Movie: My second time watching this. I’m not sure it’s intention is to be as fun as it is. This is an endearing film even though it could be viewed as quite tragic at times. Watching this man trying to live out his dream, a dream he is not very equipped for, while trying to navigate the middle class existence most of us find ourselves in. It’s just the perfect place to put a camera for a few years.

I started to watch American Movie as well, but turned it off not far in. Like Themroc, it's something I'm going to have to watch later, when I'm in a better mood for it.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Chimes at Midnight

I have a bad and weird habit of saving films from directors that I think that I will really enjoy. This was the Welles film that I was saving in my back pocket until it was nominated here. Unfortunately I was fooled, I actually didn't know that it was a Shakespearean type of film, not that based off of that alone I wouldn't have liked it but it did come around as a shock as for whatever reason I never expected it to be.

Unfortunately for me also the dialogue was quite hard to process. Subtitles weren't available where I watched but I actually felt that they would have been fairly beneficial. There was always a lot of types I found myself thinking what the heck happened or what are they saying and wondered if I should backtrack to decipher and I did a few times. But after awhile it just got old and I continued to trudge along missing more than likely many things.

There were some cool scenes, I liked the battle scene and some of the scenes with Welles front and center were pretty comical to me. The films composition was quite good. The story and the plot and the dialogue which is probably a strong point of the film to it's fans just did not work for me at all and they were a big reason why I didn't care for the film at all. For being on criterion it just seemed like it wasn't worthy of having a copy on their at all. Again my two cents. Wish I liked it but I never lie in these cases.

I started to watch American Movie as well, but turned it off not far in. Like Themroc, it's something I'm going to have to watch later, when I'm in a better mood for it.
You're not filling me with confidence about those two noms

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Bicycle Thieves

I saw this shortly after I started to get into watching classic films for the first time, but I remembered nothing about it hardly.

This watch I just wasn't fascinated by anything really. It's hard to get emotionally invested about a bike getting stolen, as black-hearted as that may sound, even if it is something that your job depends on. With as many bikes as we saw in this damn film, was it really that hard to get ahold of another one somehow?

Ok, maybe I'm going a bit too far. I think the lead and the kid gave decent performances and the film was pretty well directed, it's just the story that I find a little too overly gimmicky. I can't fault anyone for liking it but it seems a strange film to be among the GOATs of all time and I have heard of some that believe it is. A decent watch though.

-

Bicycle Thieves

I saw this shortly after I started to get into watching classic films for the first time, but I remembered nothing about it hardly.

This watch I just wasn't fascinated by anything really. It's hard to get emotionally invested about a bike getting stolen, as black-hearted as that may sound, even if it is something that your job depends on. With as many bikes as we saw in this damn film, was it really that hard to get ahold of another one somehow?

Ok, maybe I'm going a bit too far. I think the lead and the kid gave decent performances and the film was pretty well directed, it's just the story that I find a little too overly gimmicky. I can't fault anyone for liking it but it seems a strange film to be among the GOATs of all time and I have heard of some that believe it is. A decent watch though.

-
I seen a movie last night that's considered a GOAT, but as much as I respected it, it didn't resonate with me. So I guess I can see how one person can be moved by a film and another person not at all. The film I seen last night was not for this HoF but for the Personal Rec.

The trick is not minding
Bicycle Thieves

-
At the time, it wasn’t gimmicky, considering was a part of the Neorealism movement that changed how Italian cinema was made. That is, relying less on set pieces and more on everyday life on location. It particularly viewed post WW2 life through a harsh lense.*
The bike represented his dignity, and became a matter of principle to him before he betrayed his principles at the end, and then was overcome with shame for becoming what he, and the film, had so decried.
I can see how it may not exactly resonate with some, and there are a few scenes that could have been cut (the chase through a...what was it? A church or something? Is a prime example)
But man, what an ending.

At the time, it wasn’t gimmicky, considering was a part of the Neorealism movement that changed how Italian cinema was made. That is, relying less on set pieces and more on everyday life on location. It particularly viewed post WW2 life through a harsh lense.*
The bike represented his dignity, and became a matter of principle to him before he betrayed his principles at the end, and then was overcome with shame for becoming what he, and the film, had so decried.
I can see how it may not exactly resonate with some, and there are a few scenes that could have been cut (the chase through a...what was it? A church or something? Is a prime example)
But man, what an ending.
I agree with all that. As much as I like the movie the church chase could've been cut down some........To me the film represents what could be a real slice of life for someone living in poverty in post WWII Italy. Not a fun film but it made me appreciate just how hard people in Europe had it after all the destruction of WWII.

You're not filling me with confidence about those two noms
Pretty much everyone likes documentaries far, far more than I do. I imagine most of you guys won't struggle with American Movie, so you probably don't need to be concerned about that one.

I'm not the biggest fan of documentaries either (or, at least, I typically don't feel compelled to rewatch them), but American Movie is one of my favorite documentaries. I've seen it a few times already and it gets better with each viewing. I don't know how well it will do here, but I hope you all enjoy it!

Sorry to hear about the audio issues you're all having with Chimes at Midnight. Oddly enough, I first watched it on a bootleg DVD from South Korea and I don't remember not being able to hear the dialogue. You'd think Criterion or whoever else has it on VOD, streaming services, etc. would have even better audio quality.

If worse comes to worst, I can choose another movie.

Sorry to hear about the audio issues you're all having with Chimes at Midnight. Oddly enough, I first watched it on a bootleg DVD from South Korea and I don't remember not being able to hear the dialogue. You'd think Criterion or whoever else has it on VOD, streaming services, etc. would have even better audio quality.

If worse comes to worst, I can choose another movie.
I'm looking forward to broadening my cinema pallet with a watch of Orson Welles Chimes at Midnight.