Washington Redskins are changing their name and logo

Tools    

The trick is not minding
I have a question: has any professional U.S. sports team changed their name because it was deemed insensitive? Or would the Washington Redskins be the first?
Can’t think of a professional team at the moment, but back in the late 90’s the University of St Johns changed their name from Redmen to Red Storm.

Can’t think of a professional team at the moment, but back in the late 90’s the University of St Johns changed their name from Redmen to Rex Storm.
Are there other pro teams with controversial names? The Kansas City Chiefs were mentioned, any others?

I don't follow sports so have no idea.

Are there other pro teams with controversial names?
New York Giants. Very disrespectful & insensitive to gigantic people.

The trick is not minding
Are there other pro teams with controversial names? The Kansas City Chiefs were mentioned, any others?

I don't follow sports so have no idea.
Eh, I don’t consider Chiefs controversial, as it isn’t a racial stereotype to me, but I’m not Native American so my opinion is irrelevant.

I can see what you're saying, but I also think the word Giant has two or even three other meanings. One meaning a person with Gigantism condition. Most people (I believe) hear the word giant and think of mythological figures from literature. The third would be used as an adjective like in the movie Giant...meaning really powerful.

Eh, I don’t consider Chiefs controversial, as it isn’t a racial stereotype to me, but I’m not Native American so my opinion is irrelevant.
Your opinion is relevant. Of course if Native Americans in mass were pissed about the 'Chiefs' I'd give more weight to that than a non-Native American opinion...But I feel we are all people on this planet, so we all are entitled to our opinions.

I can see what you're saying, but I also think the word Giant has two or even three other meanings. One meaning a person with Gigantism condition. Most people (I think) hear the word giant and think of mythological figures from literature. The third would be used as an adjective like in the movie Giant...meaning really powerful.
Guess my sense of humor was Lost in Translation there.

I can see what you're saying, but I also think the word Giant has two or even three other meanings. One meaning a person with Gigantism condition. Most people (I think) hear the word giant and think of mythological figures from literature. The third would be used as an adjective like in the movie Giant...meaning really powerful.

Your opinion is relevant. Of course if Native Americans in mass were pissed about the 'Chiefs' I'd give more weight to that than a non-Native American opinion...But I feel we are all people on this planet,so we all are entitled to our opinions.
I don't really get why anyone would be upset about "Chiefs" - unlike a biological skin color, it was a position of leadership someone could attain. It's only "racial" as it refers to a top position in the tribal political structure used by hundreds of native nations. It has no negative connotation, but rather refers to someone that has attained command.

Guess my sense of humor was Lost in Translation there.
Oh British humor I didn't know you were joking. But I don't get it though, how did the joke work? Is it that you don't like the Giants and prefer another team? Or?

I don't really get why anyone would be upset about "Chiefs" - unlike a biological skin color, it was a position of leadership someone could attain. It's only "racial" as it refers to a top position in the tribal political structure used by hundreds of native nations. It has no negative connotation, but rather refers to someone that has attained command.
I agree with that mostly, and I'm not upset about the 'Chiefs' name...But on the other hand I could see that Native Americans could view the word Chief as having spiritual qualities and not fitting to be used by a bunch of men in tights playing with a ball. (there's a joke there somewhere, ha)

How is it pathetic to respect others cultures and opinions? It isn’t “SJW” and “liberal” in the first place anyways, it’s simply decent on a fundamental human level.

I've heard people say "they'll come for the Braves and Chiefs" next. Which is probably true, let's be fair. Somebody's gonna try to do that. But so be it. Let people overreach, and try to draw the line there. There's nothing stopping us, collectively, from allowing this critique while drawing the line at less reasonable ones.

I realize it's technically possible that changing this thing could lead to some amorphous cultural "momentum" that causes less reasonable things to happen later, simply because we didn't nip this in the bud, but that seems far-fetched to me. I think if we end up doing away with "Chiefs" it's not going to be because we got rid of "Redskins." And frankly if you don't like this mentality, allowing it to overreach is probably the most pragmatically effective way of fighting it, anyway.

Oh British humor I didn't know you were joking. But I don't get it though, how did the joke work? Is it that you don't like the Giants and prefer another team? Or?
It’s not funny if one has to explain it.

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
without reading the posts for context, i must protest. it is always funniest when one has to explain (but doesn't, and instead quietly laughs inside).

"Ever try to forcibly pin down a house cat? It's not easy." - Captain Steel

"I just can't get pass sticking a finger up a dog's butt." - John Dumbear

without reading the posts for context, i must protest. it is always funniest when one has to explain (but doesn't, and instead quietly laughs inside).

I beg to differ. I am laughing uproariously inside. Outside too.

A little piece of me is kinda hoping they adopt a policy of not making any name change too radical and rebrand as the Washington Foreskins

A little piece of me is kinda hoping they adopt a policy of not making any name change too radical and rebrand as the Washington Foreskins
Trying to think of circumcision jokes, but coming up short.

Still please explain... If Tongo or Captain Steel had made that post, I'd get it ,as they are vehemently opposed to PC 'cancel culture' changing long established names. But your past posts indicated that you do find such words as Washington Redskins offensive, so there's nothing humorous about your post in that regards (that I can see). It's not word play either. So if you can't explain it, then it looks like baiting to me. I'm not saying it is, but it reads that way.

Trying to think of circumcision jokes, but coming up short.
Oh well, sorry but I'm not allowed to give any tips

Oh well, sorry but I'm not allowed to give any tips
This is no time for tumidity. Oops, meant to type timidity.

I don't believe this is British Humor at all, I think that's just an excuse you made up...I think you were just posting whatever and without thinking, something that you do a lot. Because I don't believe you're insensitive to the suffering of others and people with Gigantism do suffer real physical and mental pain, and often have short lives.