Countries you want to visit or places you want to travel to?

Tools    

I've travelled all over the world in the music business, but I've never been to Puerto Rico, which I'd love to see. I know we have a member, @Thief, who lives there.

Since I'm a U.S. citizen there's no problem with money exchange, passport, or probably even language.

Problem is, I don't know in which area to stay. I want to keep away from the hustle and bustle of San Juan and other cities. Not sure where the laid back more secluded areas are. I suspect there's a lot to see there, and the climate is ideal.

I've travelled all over the world in the music business, but I've never been to Puerto Rico, which I'd love to see. I know we have a member, @Thief, who lives there.

Since I'm a U.S. citizen there's no problem with money exchange, passport, or probably even language.

Problem is, I don't know in which area to stay. I want to keep away from the hustle and bustle of San Juan and other cities. Not sure where the laid back more secluded areas are. I suspect there's a lot to see there, and the climate is ideal.
If you want to avoid San Juan, there are a lot of options.

There's Ponce, my hometown, which is on the South of the island, and the second most important city. There are tons of places to visit just there.

There's also Dorado, which is my wife's hometown and where I live right now. It is very tourist-oriented with lots of accessible places to visit, eat, shop, etc. It has a small town look-and-feel but with all the perks of a big town. Plus it's only 15-20 minutes from San Juan.

More off the beaten path, there's Cabo Rojo, which is on the southwest corner. Very beach-oriented town, lots of beaches there and nearby. Similarly, on the northeast corner, there's Luquillo or Fajardo, which have the same traits (beach-oriented, etc.)

Finally, there's the two island municipalities that are part of Puerto Rico: Vieques and Culebra, but traveling back and forth to the main island can be a pain.

Just remember that right now, CDC recommendations are to avoid traveling to Puerto Rico since we're having spikes on COVID cases and hospitalizations. But once this is over, I'm sure you'll love it here.

COVID-19 in Puerto Rico

Definitely the US, I find the culture and history fascinating and I'm always trying to learn more about it. A lot of my interest stems from movies and what makes it so interesting to me is the sheer size and how each state varies from each other. I'd probably want to travel along the West coast, maybe starting in the South in Texas, moving up through California and then going to places like Washington, Oregon, Montana.
Yes, the United States is a big and varied thing. Texas to New Mexico to Arizona (hitting the Grand Canyon, of course) into California through Death Valley and into Joshua Tree and then San Diego to Los Angeles to Santa Barbara to The Hearst Castle to Santa Cruz to San Francisco and the Petrified Forest continuing into Oregon on the coast and then Portland and up to Mt. St. Helens in Washington continuing to Seattle and Mount Rainier and then east to Spokane into Montana and the Badlands...depending on what time of year you made that trip you would need everything from a bathing suit to a parka and at least a few weeks - if not more - to enjoy it.

You'd be surprised how few Americans have made a trip like that.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

If you want to avoid San Juan, there are a lot of options.

There's Ponce, my hometown, which is on the South of the island, and the second most important city. There are tons of places to visit just there.

There's also Dorado, which is my wife's hometown and where I live right now. It is very tourist-oriented with lots of accessible places to visit, eat, shop, etc. It has a small town look-and-feel but with all the perks of a big town. Plus it's only 15-20 minutes from San Juan.

More off the beaten path, there's Cabo Rojo, which is on the southwest corner. Very beach-oriented town, lots of beaches there and nearby. Similarly, on the northeast corner, there's Luquillo or Fajardo, which have the same traits (beach-oriented, etc.)

Finally, there's the two island municipalities that are part of Puerto Rico: Vieques and Culebra, but traveling back and forth to the main island can be a pain.
Thanks for the tips, my friend. I had been looking at Ponce, and did wonder about Cabo Rojo. I don't know if one can fly into Ponce, but I definitely like to stay away from crowds. Doesn't Chi-Chi Rodriguez live on the south coast?

Anyway this year is out of the question, but I'll definitely be looking at it for January, '22. I live on the Gulf Coast, but where I am the Gulf does not have the beautiful ocean water that y'all have.

Cheers!

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Never been abroad. Hate traveling. I don't want to visit any countries or places.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Thanks for the tips, my friend. I had been looking at Ponce, and did wonder about Cabo Rojo. I don't know if one can fly into Ponce, but I definitely like to stay away from crowds. Doesn't Chi-Chi Rodriguez live on the south coast?

Anyway this year is out of the question, but I'll definitely be looking at it for January, '22. I live on the Gulf Coast, but where I am the Gulf does not have the beautiful ocean water that y'all have.

Cheers!
Ponce does have an international airport (Mercedita Int'l Airport = PSE). Sure, flights might be limited, particularly after this mess, but it is an option that might pop up.

Re: Chi-Chi, he is actually from Dorado, where I live right now. I don't know if he currently lives here, but he probably has a property here.

Anyway, I'm sure you'll have fun when you come. One thing I forgot to mention is that, regardless of where you stay in the island, everything is at the most 2-3 hours away. Cheers indeed!

Ever since I was a little boy I've always wanted to visit Thailand. As a child, my first exposure to it was in Street Fighter II and the Thailand level was set in this temple with Golden (Dragon?/Lion?) Statues... well come to find out that is actually based off some real Buddhist Temples in Thailand that have such Statues... only... it is so much more gorgeous. Buddhists Temples often incorporate a "blend" nature/man's influence on nature so seamlessly that it's simply stunning. I think if I make a "Thai-visit" the main crux of it is going to be "Temple-hopping/sight-seeing."
Imagine an eye unruled by man-made laws of perspective, an eye unprejudiced by compositional logic, an eye which does not respond to the name of everything but which must know each object encountered in life through an adventure of perception. How many colors are there in a field of grass to the crawling baby unaware of 'Green'?

-Stan Brakhage

Yes, the United States is a big and varied thing. Texas to New Mexico to Arizona (hitting the Grand Canyon, of course) into California through Death Valley and into Joshua Tree and then San Diego to Los Angeles to Santa Barbara to The Hearst Castle to Santa Cruz to San Francisco and the Petrified Forest continuing into Oregon on the coast and then Portland and up to Mt. St. Helens in Washington continuing to Seattle and Mount Rainier and then east to Spokane into Montana and the Badlands...depending on what time of year you made that trip you would need everything from a bathing suit to a parka and at least a few weeks - if not more - to enjoy it.

You'd be surprised how few Americans have made a trip like that.
Heck, I live in California and doing a California trip "right" is impossible in a week... so much to see and do.

And one of the reasons Americans don't take long, explorative vacations is we get such little paid time off compared to Europeans and much of the rest of the world. I took a seven-week cross-country road trip when I was 23-years-old, but that was the summer between finishing college and starting a job. I would love to take a trip like that again but I would have to win the Lottery first or be old enough to retire. Which is a damn shame.

You’re the disease, and I’m the cure.
Finland. I know HIM broke up but who cares.

There’s no problem as long as you speak Spanish.

There's Ponce, my hometown,
My favorite place in Puerto Rico.

If I could visit anywhere in America, I would visit Los Angeles. Been to CA, but not to LA. Seems fascinating to me.

If I could visit anywhere in the world, it would be Madrid. Been to Spain more than once, but never inland.

I've been to Puerto Rico it was a great visit, I wish I could have been there longer.
We circumvented the island so I guess we were done.