Treme

Tools    

You guys ready to let the dogs out?
Does anyone watch this show and if you do what do you think of it? I'm almost finished the first season and I'm really starting to enjoy it. To start off with not much seemed to be going on but the show really starting coming together after the first few episodes.

It's from David Simon, the creator of The Wire and is made by HBO. The show follows the lives of a number of individuals trying to piece their lives together after hurricaine Katrina. The diverse set of people ranges from Mardi Gras Indians to resturant owners. The music in the show is excellent as are the characters. With The Wire being my favourite show of all time, I expected a lot from David Simon and he's delivered yet again. I'm looking forward to the end of the season and was happy to see the show has been commisioned for a second season as well.

I wanted to check that out but have only seen about 30 minutes of one of the episodes so far so am a little lost as to who everyone is...

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

Welcome to the human race...
It's currently screening on pay-TV here but I've been way too busy to settle in and catch it, so I'm recording it wherever possible. From what I've seen it's kept a similar vibe to The Wire, so it's bound to be at least somewhat good.

Can't believe I only just heard of this. Can't wait to check it out.

I love The Wire and Generation Kill, I need some more Simon in my life.

This starts here soon on Sky Atlantic, for those who can get that. Well, I say "soon", I have no idea of a start date, that's just what the ad said.

Watched the first episode last night (Elvis Costello was in it!) . The music was ace but not sure about the show, there's some annoying people in it. Will watch a few more to see how it goes

The music was hideous. I stopped watching after about 15 minutes. I'll try again, but I fear that this is one of those "the city itself is a character" programmes and I've never had any time for New Orleans, The Big Easy 'feel' or jazz. This could be great, but I already feel it's not for me. Shame.

Pretty much, yes. I'm sure there are exceptions (though nothing springs to mind) and, on occassion, some piano jazz can be quite pleasant as background music.

I've only seen about 30 mins of it too. Good to see Simon using some of his old Wire cast in this. I really dig the music as well. Well, at least from what i've heard so far. I'd say it seems Wirey in presentation, which is certainly not a bad thing as at least we know that no matter how slow things are, there will eventually be huge developments. I'm hoping to catch it fully on DVD at some point but so far, I can see potential.

Still haven't decided if I want to dive into this. Might wait until another season's done, since it might be tough to catch up and wait for new episodes to come out.

Sounds like fellow Wire fans are sort of lukewarm on it overall so far.

I'm midway through the first season and I'm enjoying it. I'm a lover of jazz, so that certainly helped.

David Simon has yet to let me down.

The music was hideous. I stopped watching after about 15 minutes. I'll try again, but I fear that this is one of those "the city itself is a character" programmes and I've never had any time for New Orleans, The Big Easy 'feel' or jazz. This could be great, but I already feel it's not for me. Shame.
I love New Orleans... and jazz... one of my doggies is even named Jazzy...

there's a frog in my snake oil
Anyone else catch this? I don't have Sky so couldn't watch it UK-side but thinking about getting the box set.

I have the blu-ray sitting around, was keen when it aired but not really got round to popping it in. Though ironically, in this time have restarted The Wire. Any fan got a hook to entice me onto it?

Watched the first episode last night (Elvis Costello was in it!) . The music was ace but not sure about the show, there's some annoying people in it. Will watch a few more to see how it goes
I ended up loving this show. The music is fantastic, there is some annoying people in it but I guess there's annoying people in real life. I like the feeling the characters have for New Orleans, the longing they have to return when some of them have lost businesses and had to move away. I come from a place where people have that same emotional tie. There's some great actors in it, I learned a lot about New Orleans ways, and like I said the music is brilliant! Can't wait for the third series.
I hope it's actually a good representation of how things are , but only a citizen can tell us that - Caitlyn?

Cool

Annoying people I can deal with (altho Ziggy was nearly a deal breaker in Wire - Season 2 for a while )

It's Davis (Steve Zahn) in this that's annoying, but saying that he's passionate about his city and music so he can't be all bad. He's irritating but he's kinda puppydog too!

Gol - you have to like the music. When I first started watching this I thought I'm not that keen on jazz, but it's an eyeopener as far as jazz goes - there's funk, soul, trad, folk, cajun, loads and loads of styles of music and not just little snippets either.
Also you have Wendell Pierce, Clarke Peters, Melissa Leo and John Goodman

Wow that's four years since I posted that! How time flies. We've only just had the last series, series 4 which only consisted of 5 episodes with the last one this week. I've liked Treme. It seemed like a fair portrayal of a city with its own particular problems, and I've heard people who live there not disagreeing. Like most big cities there's a dark side, but New Orleans has such a rich culture it's quite engrossing hearing about them, and listening to all the music.

Hah, just on Ep3 right now

Season 3 kinda ran out of steam for us, but stumbling on it tonight on catchup and dropping back into this world has been great

*EDIT* And talking of time flying, can't believe it's 10 years since Katrina. (Would love to know how Caity's doing too!)