Top British Actors

Tools    

Add Guinness and you my friend are the winner...
Ben Kingsley, Michael Gambon, Roger Moore, Ralph Richardson and Michael Caine are all Knights of the Realm (Sirs) too.

Christopher Lee was made a knight last week, so there's another one to add

You also have the Dames, Judi Dench, Helen Mirren, Julie Andrews, Elizabeth Taylor, Maggie Smith, Eileen Atkins.

Banned from Hollywood.
men

1.Michael Caine
2.Cary Grant
3.Sean Connery
4.Anthony Hopkins
5.Ewan McGregor

women

1.Celia Johnson
2.Rachel Roberts
3.Julie Andrews
4.Judi Dench
5.Tilda Swinton

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
Sir Ian McKellen and Daniel Day Lewis would probably be my top picks. But let's not forget:

Ralph Fiennes

Tom Wilkinson

Chiwetel Ejiofor

John Hurt

James McAvoy

Richard Griffiths

Banned from Hollywood.
Sir Ian McKellen and Daniel Day Lewis would probably be my top picks. But let's not forget:

Ralph Fiennes

Tom Wilkinson
Fiennes: incredible

Wilkinson: Mindblowing

McAvoy?????? naaaah he's really just OK imo

McAvoy?????? naaaah he's really just OK imo
Well, he's not Ian McKellen yet, but I wanted to include some younger people as well. And I really was impressed with him in Inside I'm Dancing and The Last King of Scotland. And if people are going to list Ewan MacGregor...

And although the person who started the thread mentioned him, there really hasn't been enough love for Peter O'Toole in this thread yet...

Banned from Hollywood.
And although the person who started the thread mentioned him, there really hasn't been enough love for Peter O'Toole in this thread yet...

There hasnt been much love for peter o'toole from the Academy either i reckon..noumerous nominations and 0 wins. Seems rather unfair, if not harsh.

Banned from Hollywood.
Well, he's not Ian McKellen yet, but I wanted to include some younger people as well. And I really was impressed with him in Inside I'm Dancing and The Last King of Scotland. And if people are going to list Ewan MacGregor...

Right now Mcgregor is many steps above Mcavoy as far as acting abilities are concerned. that's why i consider him one of the greatest british actors at the moment.

as for McAvoy..I think he's just Ok..yes he was good in Inside i m dancing, but The last king of scotland? not really. he was just OK there, and totally overshadowed by Whiteker's incredible performance....but then again, he still has a future ahead of him and might end up becoming a really talented actor..we'll just have to wait and see.

Maybe it's because I'm female but...I like Hugh Grant--especially in "Notting Hill" opposite Julia Roberts.

Right now Mcgregor is many steps above Mcavoy as far as acting abilities are concerned. that's why i consider him one of the greatest british actors at the moment.
Oh don't get me wrong, I like Ewan McGregor, but he is a bit hit and miss in my view. Yes, there's Trainspotting, but then again there's also The Island and the Star Wars prequels...

Banned from Hollywood.
Well a man's gotta make a big budget movie , so he can pay of his taxes

...and then there's Velvet goldmine, cassandra's dream, a life less ordinary, moulin rouge, black hawk down and of course the priest he played in angels and demons where he was mindblowing...i m amazed the academy hasn't nominated him at least once all these years.

While I love Moulin Rouge, and Velvet Goldmine too, in a guilty pleasure kind of a way, I wouldn't have picked these as particularly memorable acting performances. No better, certainly, than McAvoy in Atonement, or Shameless. And look at McGregor's weird-haired turn in Emma, compared to McAvoy in Becoming Jane. But somehow I don't think I'm going to be able to convince you...We shouldn't set the Scots against each other, there are too few of them (couldn't even get a Scot to play Scotty in the new Star Trek, could they?)

Speaking of Velvet Goldmine makes me think of Jonathan Rhys Meyers, though, who was so good in Gormenghast and so awful in everything ever since then. I think all his acting power must have been in his hair and once he cut it all off... downhill all the way

Banned from Hollywood.
well Rhys Meyers was incredible in Match Point ...seriously...it's a perfect study of how good a modern day actor can get..the screenplay is amazing as well..love that movie..but then again I love almost every Allen movie, since he's my favorite director.

Banned from Hollywood.
as for more Mcgregor movie..i think a lot of people seem to forget Big Fish...what a greatly overlooked movie.totally original and brilliant..he was great there too..

another scottish actor who i thought was great once is Robert Carlyle....I mean Trainspotting is HIS movie...but after that he hasnt impressed me in a lot of the other stuff he's done since..Maybe Carla's song was good...but i think he kind of acts the same in most of his other stuff...maybe he's not that wideranged as i might have thought.

well Rhys Meyers was incredible in Match Point ...seriously...it's a perfect study of how good a modern day actor can get..the screenplay is amazing as well..love that movie..but then again I love almost every Allen movie, since he's my favorite director.
Right, we really have veeeery different tastes, because I thought absolutely everything about Match Point was awful. Except Matthew Goode.

And yes, Robert Carlyle, there's another Scot

Banned from Hollywood.
well just because i liked match point might not neceseraly mean that we have completely different tastes..cause i can see that in your favorite movies there are 2 that i really love. lost in translation and breaking the waves, so i would rather say that we have different tastes concerning match point/

i thought it was one of the best screenplays that i have ever seen..incredibly unique in its own way.

Not just some great UK actors, but some of the best living actors:

Daniel Day-Lewis
Anothony Hopkins
Gary Oldman
Ralph Fiennes
Jeremy Irons
Cate Blanchett (I know she's an Aussie, but some of the other folks listed here are Irish or Scots, so)

OTHERS I LOVE

Peter O'Toole
Alec Guiness
Christopher Lee
Christian Bale
John Hurt
John Gielgud
Samantha Morton
Judy Dench
Rachel Weiz

And the list goes on and on.

British actors tend to be the best - in my opinion. I don't know why.

Cate Blanchett (I know she's an Aussie, but some of the other folks listed here are Irish or Scots, so)
Scotland is part of the UK! And Ireland is at least geographically close, unlike Australia...

(some good choices, though )