My Summary:
Seen: 15/48

My List  

32 New Movies from 2020 List
18 Movies from 2010 List

Let's go MCU! , make the list lol

Welcome to the Dance: My Favorite 20 High School Movies
https://www.movieforums.com/communit...02#post2413502

I certainly expected for Fight Club to seem like sophomoric tripe on rewatch...but it doesn't. It's still a Fincher, after all, and the level of talent up and down the production is crazy high.

That, and it's easy to forget that it's actually a very compelling movie even without the twist, and even without the "I think Muse is the greatest band of our time" Freshman-flirting-with-anarchy vibe. There's a time in most of our lives where that irreverent, destructive mood alone is enough to make us love something, but thankfully, in this case, that stuff is more or less tacked on to what's a really interesting story in its own right.

That, and I'll just always have a soft spot for any film that Goes There, by which I mean introduces something wacky and just keeps following the thread, seeing it through to an insane conclusion, even if it means kinda becoming another movie entirely. In this case, the way the narrative gets out of hand compliments the narrative itself.

Wasn't on my list or anything. But dang, it's a really well-made film.

We've gone on holiday by mistake
It's amazing that these 2 only made it onto 8 lists.

I certainly expected for Fight Club to seem like sophomoric tripe on rewatch...but it doesn't. It's still a Fincher, after all, and the level of talent up and down the production is crazy high.

That, and it's easy to forget that it's actually a very compelling movie even without the twist, and even without the "I think Muse is the greatest band of our time" Freshman-flirting-with-anarchy vibe. There's a time in most of our lives where that irreverent, destructive mood alone is enough to make us love something, but thankfully, in this case, that stuff is more or less tacked on to what's a really interesting story in its own right.

That, and I'll just always have a soft spot for any film that Goes There, by which I mean introduces something wacky and just keeps following the thread, seeing it through to an insane conclusion, even if it means kinda becoming another movie entirely. In this case, the way the narrative gets out of hand compliments the narrative itself.

Wasn't on my list or anything. But dang, it's a really well-made film.

I'm at the stage of having being blown away by it in my late teens... and haven't revisited it since. I'd be more than happy to give it another go because it sets itself apart from other stuff that might get labelled sophomoric tripe (something like Boondock Saints, which deserves that label) because of, like you said, the talent involved. There just has to be more to it, especially with Fincher at the helm.

Fight Club was #3 on the MoFo '90s List while No Country for Old Men was #9 on the MoFo Millennium List.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Fight Club is one of my favorite 90's films, favorite Fincher film, and my number 14. I almost can't believe it was polarized when it came out, like Kate Bush's album The Dreaming.

I saw No Country for Old Men twice when I was looking for the best movie of 2007. It was either that or There Will Be Blood, which I used to like more.

I avoided watching Fight Club for several years because I'd heard that it was juvenile garbage, but loved it when I finally saw it. It has long since been a favorite movie of mine, but it's not in my top 25 and therefore not on my ballot. I absolutely hated the ending to No Country for Old Men and didn't much like the rest of it, which I basically means I hate the whole thing. Coen brothers movies are very hit or miss for me and tend to miss more than not.

My Ballot:
5. Her (#94)
9. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (#92)
25. Clay Pigeons (One-Pointers)

it sets itself apart from other stuff that might get labelled sophomoric tripe (something like Boondock Saints, which deserves that label)
Boondock Saints may be tripe, but I still think it's a lot of fun.

it's easy to forget that it's actually a very compelling movie even without the twist, and even without the "I think Muse is the greatest band of our time" Freshman-flirting-with-anarchy vibe. There's a time in most of our lives where that irreverent, destructive mood alone is enough to make us love something, but thankfully, in this case, that stuff is more or less tacked on to what's a really interesting story in its own right.

Funny you mention the music. That soundtrack was a breakbeat score by a band called The Dust Brothers who never released another album. But they died another breakbeat band of the same name, and that other band changed their name to The Chemical Brothers and became a modern electtonica staple. I understand there's a myth that they are the same band.

Still upset with myself that not a single Coen is on my list. "No Country for Old Men" would have been the chosen one. Didn't think much of it initial viewing, but has grown on me after many viewings. Phooey on me...

I have yet to make it through " Fight Club". Doubt I'll try again, over rated rubbish. Apologies to those that love it.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

38/51 seen
2/26 on clues (I'm done here, think point has been made...)
6/25 off my list

#5 City of God (21 pts - #61)
#25 Forrest Gump (1 pt - #65)
#1 Pan's Labyrinth (25 pts - #68)
#12 Young Frankenstein (14 pts - #77)
#10 American Beauty (16 pts - #79)
#22 Harold & Maude (4 pts - #90)

I have seen Fight Club but have not seen No Country For Old Men. I don't like Javier Bardem's English accent or Spanish accented English. .

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
I remember watching "Fight Club" after this girl gave me her VHS.. I got home from college, was tired, laid down on the couch and put it in. I guess it was alright, because I didn't fall asleep.... until 5 minutes before the end, and so it was kinda ruined for me.

"No Country For Old Men" had a good "mood", but I wasn't interested in Josh Brolin (cowboy dude) and more interested in Bardem's character. I don't think it was even the best movie that year with "There Will Be Blood"

Not super into Fight Club

Looove NCFOM, top tier Coen Bros and top tier movie in general.

Fight Club and No Country are very good (if somewhat overrated) films, but the fact that they placed over films like Sunset Boulevard and Night of the Hunter is hard to swallow, I’ll be honest. Recency bias isn’t quite the right term for films that came out in the past 20 years but its in the ballpark. Don’t get me wrong, the fact that a film is more recent does not move it down my list or even bear on it. It’s just that there are an insane amount of masterpieces in the first 100 years of film that I had to consider.

That said, its down to taste. I am nothing if not a box checker and I intend to watch every film on this list that I have not seen so maybe I will change my mind on some to come. I have some notable gaps in my recent (ie since 2000) repertoire including all three LOTR films. I hope you guys who have older gaps will consider doing the same as there are some amazing gems in the bottom half of this list.

Films not seen: 5/50 (Cabaret, Suspiria, Enter the Dragon, Harold & Maude, Forest Gump)

Films from my list so far: 7/25 (Ikiru, 8 1/2, The Apartment, Metropolis, Mullholland Drive, Night of the Hunter, Sunset Boulevard)

I remember watching "Fight Club" after this girl gave me her VHS.. I got home from college, was tired, laid down on the couch and put it in. I guess it was alright, because I didn't fall asleep.... until 5 minutes before the end, and so it was kinda ruined for me.

"No Country For Old Men" had a good "mood", but I wasn't interested in Josh Brolin (cowboy dude) and more interested in Bardem's character. I don't think it was even the best movie that year with "There Will Be Blood"
Agreed on TWBB! There are several Coen brothers films that rate higher for me but a rewatch is probably due.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
Agreed on TWBB! There are several Coen brothers films that rate higher for me but a rewatch is probably due.
I liked "The Big Lebowski" and "Rushmore" more..

You have a nice Top 10 list! I especially love "Ikiru" and "Persona", and even the movies I don't love, were made by directors that made some of my favorite movies.

Fight Club and No Country are very good (if somewhat overrated) films, but the fact that they placed over films like Sunset Boulevard and Night of the Hunter is hard to swallow, I’ll be honest. Recency bias isn’t quite the right term for films that came out in the past 20 years but its in the ballpark. Don’t get me wrong, the fact that a film is more recent does not move it down my list or even bear on it. It’s just that there are an insane amount of masterpieces in the first 100 years of film that I had to consider.

That said, its down to taste. I am nothing if not a box checker and I intend to watch every film on this list that I have not seen so maybe I will change my mind on some to come. I have some notable gaps in my recent (ie since 2000) repertoire including all three LOTR films. I hope you guys who have older gaps will consider doing the same as there are some amazing gems in the bottom half of this list.

Films not seen: 5/50 (Cabaret, Suspiria, Enter the Dragon, Harold & Maude, Forest Gump)

Films from my list so far: 7/25 (Ikiru, 8 1/2, The Apartment, Metropolis, Mullholland Drive, Night of the Hunter, Sunset Boulevard)

I'm not saying recency bias doesn't exist at all but don't you think there is a bias towards certain classics as well?

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
Fight Club is a very good movie that I haven't seen for a long time, but probably should rewatch. It's based on a good book, which gives it a solid foundation. The movie captures the tone of the book and adds a considerable visual flair. I didn't include it in my top 25 but I like it a lot and I think it's a worthy entry.

No Country For Old Men is not a personal favourite.