Do you feel escapism is less commonplace in film nowadays.

Tools    

I'm not sure why that is, but it's something I've noticed on Reddit a lot. People demand and cheer for R ratings all the time...
I don't read Reddit, as I hate their thread layouts...but even here in MoFo land people sometimes equate R rated films with GOOD and anything lower rated as mediocre. I've come to realize with modern R films, all you get is 45 F bombs and a close up of some old guys junk. That's about it. OK rant over

Ghouls, vampires, werewolves... let's party.
I don't read Reddit, as I hate their thread layouts...but even here in MoFo land people sometimes equate R rated films with GOOD and anything lower rated as mediocre. I've come to realize with modern R films, all you get is 45 F bombs and a close up of some old guys junk. That's about it. OK rant over
I agree with this. Most of my favorite movies are rated PG.

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
Movies have always mainly been about escape from reality. That's why we go. I don't have any idea what the percentage of movies are that are actually realistic and fact based, but it's low, even among movies that CLAIM to be ripped from the head lines or whatever. The exact form of the escape changes from time to time, we still like movies with characters and plots that have resolution in 2 hours, simple solutions, good looking characters, neat dialog and desirable outcomes. Compared to real life, that's a fantasy.
I thought the OP wasn't talking about escapism as in realism, but as in many movies nowadays don't seem to challenge one's braind and emotions like they use to, unless I am wrong, and the OP was refferring to realism?