Critics and Horror

Tools    

I'd say the worst Ebert review is Fast Times at Ridgemont High. Say what you will about his Blue Velvet review or his hatred of slashers, he's at least describing the same movie the rest of us saw (and in the case of the Lynch especially, had a pretty natural reaction I'd say).
I'm telling you, he had a crush on Jennifer Jason Leigh and was offended by anything he construed as mistreatment of her (see also: The Hitcher review). I would've loved (hated) to see him review Hateful Eight.

I'm telling you, he had a crush on Jennifer Jason Leigh and was offended by anything he construed as mistreatment of her (see also: The Hitcher review). I would've loved (hated) to see him review Hateful Eight.
I assume it's a Photoshop of him and JJL with QT's face crossed out.

"Friendship with QT over. Now Ebert is my best friend. "

Victim of The Night
Well, in the most simplistic and reductive ways possible, sure. They are making a case against the genres worst impulses, and applying it to everything that has even been remotely branded as a slasher. It's lazy commentary by two men who aren't ordinarily this lazy. But they feel they can be because it's complaining about films that didn't have the backing of any major critics of the time, and were considered as made only for the most ignorant and depraved of movie fans.

If one were to already have a negative view of these movies, this would just reinforce their worst stereotypes without bringing even the slightest nuance into the conversation. It's an annoying conversation by two horror grumps.
I didn't see it that way. It looked like they kinda picked the worst of the worst doing something that specifically bothers them and pointed it out, while continually pointing to a really good slasher as how the genre actually can be great.

I didn't see it that way. It looked like they kinda picked the worst of the worst doing something that specifically bothers them and pointed it out, while continually pointing to a really good slasher as how the genre actually can be great.

Halloween? I haven't watched that clip in a long time, but my feeling it was the only one Ebert had any time for (with the exception of Last House on the Left, his championing of which still somewhat mystifying considering his contempt for films that are in the business of degradation).

There is just a very broad attitude of 'these are not worth our time' so we aren't even going to parse the quality between them. And there metric for what a 'slasher' is is weird. As Jinnistan mention....The Howling? Like what the hell is that even doing there, on any level?

I guarantee he wouldn't have seen the slightest difference between F13 Pt 2 from any of its sequels. They were just one giant indistinguishable lump of filthy amateurism in his eyes. Now this isn't some great crime, I'm no big fan of the franchise myself, but its how consistently he did this over his career. It was clear he had no interest in having a critical eye about what he had already decided he was going to dismiss off hand. Everyone, to one degree or another has preconceptions about different types of art, but I honestly have rarely seen him be very open to having any of those preconceptions challenged.

Hence, annoying.

Duplicate Account (locked)
people tend to think horror movies tend to be these smut films, yet to me they very much are not. They are specifically designed to make you afraid, sometimes when it fails it's just funny.

I really love the original film "Evil Dead" especially when it's on VHS. Yet it is kind of a bad movie, i'm not suprised if some think it's crap or are offended.

The trick is not minding
It’s was more then lazy. It o FB ores key facts to fit into their narrative.
In their special, they C lacked that slashers targeted women, and ignored that for the most part, that most slashers had a decent male to female kill ratio. And quite often, it was a woman who fought back and persevered through her wits and strong will.
They ignored this, as mentioned before, to fit into their false narrative, or maybe even didn’t fully watch the films. I know Siskel has walked out on films before (Maniac, the children I think)
It was really just completelt ridiculous how much they were clutching their pearls