MoFo Fantasy Football 2020 - Regular Season

Tools    

As for the trade, Yoda is practicing a long established strategy that's existed in all fantasy sports for years. Take a streaking hot player and offer them for someone that's been established thru the years. If others dont try doing it then that's on them.

The only way this trade should be cancelled is if Adam didnt realize this and Chris cancels it out of friendship. If Adam knows and doesnt care, then it should stick. Sometimes those hot streaking players turn out to be the real deal.

Another thing I've been meaning to bitch about: How the hell did we allow @Hey Fredrick to land Dalvin Cook and Aaron Jones in the draft?

However, it came at a cost. My WR's aren't exactly tearing it up.

Jefferson will be good, but I'd say more around 20 than his current 6 when all is said and done.
That's not quite what I asked, but okay. Seems like if he does finish around 20 the deal still makes a lot of sense, though.

It's not unfair, because they are willingly being stupid enough to do these deals. Lol.
Yikes, just straight-up calling a leaguemate stupid because you don't agree with a trade? Well, not a leaguemate any more, which maybe makes it worse.

Anyway, Adam won this league last year, so you should entertain the possibility that he knows something you don't, rather than just calling him stupid.

I'm just saying deals like this wouldn't happen in other leagues I'm in.
Are they 14-team leagues?

Yeah, that was gonna be my answer: you spent two picks in the first 18 on 'em. Good on you for hitting with both so far, though.

*quietly speaks up*

Minshew is still available.....
After week 3 I nearly made you an offer for him, because Tannehill had struggled, and so had Jones, and I wasn't sure if either would be good enough to roll with. Stuck it out a bit longer and Tannehill started to show last year was no fluke, though. But I would've, back then, definitely thrown Henderson or someone your way out of desperation, if the timing had been right.

Speaking of timing, I told Adam I was willing to cancel the trade, no hard feelings. Here's his texted response:

No I actually need it cuz I have people on by this week and oBJ is IR

How does the waiver order work? In my other league it is simply based on record. Worst record has the first shot, first place has the last. I cannot figure ours out at all.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

It's a "rolling" order: after the draft, last pick has first priority (and vice-versa), and you only give it up by using it. When you claim someone off of waivers you go to the back, everyone moves up, and so on. So there's a strategy to picking your spot, as opposed to just putting in for whoever just in case, for example.

I did score over my projection, thanks entirely to my QB over-performing, but I still came up well short of a victory. The LOVE Brokers officially have a losing record now, have slipped into ninth place, and I will eat my hat if I can somehow muster enough wins to be even .500. I will probably back into one or maybe even two more wins, but I wouldn't bet on it.

Perhaps the most miraculous thing that happened in the NFL this week is that for most of the first half the NY Jets almost looked like a professional football team. Their defense was holding down Buffalo (inter-division rivalries are always damn weird) and their offense didn't look ghastly. Including my RB La'Mical Perine who did indeed assume the lead back role for the first time and the kid even scored his first touchdown! The Jets of course came back to earth in the second half, but Perine finished with 12.50 fantasy points - almost twice his projection - and it leaves some glimmer of hope that he will at least be able to pull me a consistent 8 or 9 points per contest instead of the 2 or 3 points he had been "accumulating" since I was forced to make him my second RB after Saquon's season-ending injury.

Of course the first week he puts up a decent number Chris Carson, my only top tier player left, injured his foot early on in the Sunday night high-scoring battle between Seattle and Arizona. The Jets' RB gets me double digits and Carson pulls a lame 4.60. He is now week-to-week. Oy.

Joe Burrow had the best statistical game of his young career in the shoot out with The Browns. Cinncy did not get the victory, losing on a last minute drive they could not slow much less stop, but Burrow threw for 406 yards, three TDs, and another 34 yards on the ground plus a fourth TD. He also threw a pick in the end zone and lost a fumble, but his 39.64 fantasy points were very Dak Prescott like. Alas, they were wasted.

My two top WR did their thing. Detroit's Kenny Golladay had 114 yards on six catches (14.40) while Carolina's Robby Anderson had 74 yards on six grabs. But neither found the end zone. The only hindsight move was keeping Cole Beasley's eleven receptions for 112 yards on the bench in favor of The Chargers' Mike Williams. Williams had a monster game in Week Six with a pair of TDs and 25.40 points. This week....one catch for four yards. 0.90 points. That sure didn't help. But even with Beasley in over Williams I still get my ass kicked, so whatevs.

Picking up Lions kicker Matt Prater from the waiver wire was an excellent move as he had three long FGs and 16.00! But when your kicker gets the second-highest score on your team ya probably ain't in a position to win much.

I'm pullin' for ya'. I've had years like this and, while it's not really as much fun, the challenge and thrill of even coming close in spite of all that can be really satisfying. It'd be a great story, I hope you pull it off.

@Captain Spaulding, your 0.38 margin of defeat to @Wyldesyde19 is the ninth-closest in league history. Tough one.
Must've been an error. Yahoo briefly removed one of KC's TDs, but now the score is back to what it was last night. I'd rather it stay that way because if the margin of defeat is only decimal points then my mind immediately reflects back on all the little plays that cost me a victory.

Ah, weird. Thanks for catching that, I'll update the record book accordingly. I was surprised when I saw it, I remember thinking it wasn't quite that close last night, but assumed I missed some late score or something.

In my other league I'm doing well.

The mighty, mighty Blutarskies are in second place. I have a very balanced team led by backs Josh Jacobs, James Connor, and Joe Mixon, receivers Tyler Lockett, Tyler Boyd, Robby Anderson, and Chris Godwin (when he's healthy), Hayden Hurst and Robert Tonyan as my TE, and I have Joey Burrow as my QB there, too, as well as Minshewmania. I also have Le'Veon Bell, Devonta Freeman, and Mike Davis rounding out my roster. It seems like one week the RBs carry me, the next week it is the wideouts. Week six was definitely the receiving core as Lockett had his huge night (a key to why I lost in our league this week as The Empire had Lockett AND Davante Adams!) plus Boyd and Godwin.

That league is full PPR and we start a third receiver plus a second FLEX position so bigger scores! I had the high this week with 215.58. And it is only ten teams so there are actually viable choices to be found on the waiver wire.

If only I could trade players across leagues!

That receiver corps in your other league is key. Sounds like you nabbed three of the biggest mid-round WR values of the entire season there, in a draft you focused on RB early.

Think this week, against @jiraffejustin, is probably the remaining game I'm most likely to lose, at least as things now stand. He's got two great backs and two very good receivers, and several good matchups. Cook, particularly, is up against GB, who's given up the most points to RBs of any team. It's probably about a wash at RB but I think my advantage at WR is pretty marginal.

If I can get through this week, then I'll start allowing myself to think the unthinkable, but this is a pretty big test.

Let the night air cool you off
Think this week, against @jiraffejustin, is probably the remaining game I'm most likely to lose, at least as things now stand. He's got two great backs and two very good receivers, and several good matchups. Cook, particularly, is up against GB, who's given up the most points to RBs of any team. It's probably about a wash at RB but I think my advantage at WR is pretty marginal.

If I can get through this week, then I'll start allowing myself to think the unthinkable, but this is a pretty big test.
That ain't me, mate. You already dropped a 150-burger on me.

Anyway, Adam won this league last year, so you should entertain the possibility that he knows something you don't, rather than just calling him stupid.
I'd actually forgotten all about that. When I think back to who I lost to in the championship last year, I just picture Lamar Jackson, since he won seemingly every fantasy championship last year as long as people had a decent cast around him.

I also didn't realize that Adam had climbed all the way up to 5th in the standings (he's the fifth highest scorer, as well). That makes the trade even more surprising. The risk/reward and his text reply make it sound like he's mostly concerned with his short-term prospects, which would make more sense if he was currently sitting out of the playoff picture.

I keep calling him Adam since that's how you refer to him, but I don't even know his username on here. You can hit him up in a text about working out a deal, but he's not active on here, so the rest of us can't negotiate. That's the annoying part. I've offered trades to people in years past, but people must not check their e-mail (or have alerts turned off), so the trades just sit there for multiple days until I cancel them. I can't remember if that's happened specifically with Adam or not, but it'd be nice if he'd make a point to visit the forum once in awhile during football season so we can inquire about certain players and negotiate deals instead of just sending out random offers that might only be ignored.

They might not be "tearing it up," but it's still a damn solid group, imo. Boyd and Crowder have been high-floor guys this year. Cooks is streaky but capable of big games. Kupp has been a disappointment, mostly because the Rams run the ball so much, but he's still a great talent.

It's a "rolling" order: after the draft, last pick has first priority (and vice-versa), and you only give it up by using it. When you claim someone off of waivers you go to the back, everyone moves up, and so on. So there's a strategy to picking your spot, as opposed to just putting in for whoever just in case, for example.
One of my favorite aspects about our league. My other league is just like Holden's, where the waiver priority resets every week. I guess it's meant to add parity, giving those near the bottom of the standings a chance to constantly improve their team every week by adding the best waiver-wire guys, but I hate it. There's no strategy. Just put in for whoever, even if it's a kicker or defense.

I've tried to be more selective this year in our league when it comes to waivers. It might be hurting me actually, since I've missed out on guys who could've helped me in the short term, but I ask myself every week, "Should I squander my priority for a one-week rental or a guy who's likely to languish on my bench? Or keep waiting for a true difference maker to become available, like a back-up RB suddenly thrust into a juicy starting role?" In that sense, the waiver-wire priority can be both a blessing and a curse, as I miss out on guys who could strengthen my team in the hopes of grabbing a "lottery ticket" that may never arrive.

I'd actually forgotten all about that. When I think back to who I lost to in the championship last year, I just picture Lamar Jackson, since he won seemingly every fantasy championship last year as long as people had a decent cast around him.
Yeah, that's the biggest factor, but (and I believe I wrote this in the MoFo Bowl preview, too), he did a bit more than just stumble into him: he bet his season on it, really, and nailed a lot of his other picks. Jackson *had* to work out, so helmets off to him. It was a big swing and he connected. I think that's his style, and it means he has some very rough years, but also some very good ones.

I also didn't realize that Adam had climbed all the way up to 5th in the standings (he's the fifth highest scorer, as well). That makes the trade even more surprising. The risk/reward and his text reply make it sound like he's mostly concerned with his short-term prospects, which would make more sense if he was currently sitting out of the playoff picture.
Risk/reward is the rubric for a team that's basically out of it (or will be soon), but bye weeks and injuries and short-term lineup filling is, I think, the more relevant consideration for a bubble team like he was (he was 3-3 when it was offered, and was only a modest favorite to go to 4-3 after the Monday games IIRC).

I keep calling him Adam since that's how you refer to him, but I don't even know his username on here. You can hit him up in a text about working out a deal, but he's not active on here, so the rest of us can't negotiate. That's the annoying part. I've offered trades to people in years past, but people must not check their e-mail (or have alerts turned off), so the trades just sit there for multiple days until I cancel them. I can't remember if that's happened specifically with Adam or not, but it'd be nice if he'd make a point to visit the forum once in awhile during football season so we can inquire about certain players and negotiate deals instead of just sending out random offers that might only be ignored.
I didn't text him about the offer, just sent it normally through the site.

His username is @Adamantium18, but yeah, doesn't visit much some years. Pretty sure he's generally quite responsive on trades. But I share your pet peeve with people who don't check their team or read emails.