Favorite Horror film of 2016, so far?

Tools    

The Bib-iest of Nickels
2016 has surprisingly been a terrific year for horror films. Original entries such as Light's Out and Don't Breathe have both been able to find a lot of success, both critically and at the box-office. (Both making over 140 million in theaters.) Not only that though, but The Conjuring 2 has been a rare-breed, a sequel that actually improves on (in my opinion) the predecessor's narrative and grossed more than the original film. 10 Cloverfield Lane was a terrific film as well, though, some might debate on whether or not it actually falls in the horror spectrum. Besides that, we also had The Witch and The Shallows, both positively received, box-office successes. However, what I am asking is, which is your favorite horror film of 2016 so far?

I've narrowed down my opinion to The Conjuring 2. I didn't absolutely love the first Conjuring film, however, I enjoyed it. The Conjuring 2 though, I believe, really takes things to a new level. The characters are well-developed, the scoring and cinematography is on point, and some of the special effects in the film seem really inspired. It is my favorite horror of 2016 so far, and with little left on the horizon, I don't see that changing.

I still need to see Don't Breathe, The Conjuring, Light Out and Blair Witch(I know, all the good ones). I really loved 10 Cloverfield Lane though.

I thought the Shallows was a real drag, and the Witch was good on a film making perspective but it's nothing I'd want to rewatch or say I enjoyed watching.

havent seen cloverfield lane, blair witch, the witch, dont breathe or shallows yet but i think i like lights out better then conjuring 2. the only scary thing about conjuring 2 was the nun and the popup of crooked man. tho conjuring 1 is the greatest horror movie ive ever seen had me scared the whole entire time

The Bib-iest of Nickels
The Witch is a film that everyone was praising the hell out of, and that got me really hyped for it, but when I saw it in theaters, I was very disappointed with it. It was well-made, efficiently told, and whatnot, but I thought it was tedious and really lacking it most other categories. I'd also say that Blair Witch was another film that disappointed, a bunch of horror websites I frequent were calling it a "game-changer" and one of the best horror films ever, but when I watched it, it was neither great nor terrible, was just decent.

Don't Breathe and 10 Cloverfield Lane are both terrific films. And, on the some levels, are even better than The Conjuring 2, especially Cloverfield. But, for me, Conjuring 2 seemed to have what I really love seeing in horror films, it just registered a certain feeling that I can't really explain, it holds a special place for me as a lifelong horror fanatic.

Welcome to the human race...
Assuming that Green Room doesn't count (it's arguably more of a suspense thriller than a straight-up horror), I think The VVitch would be my pick. I didn't think it was especially great, but neither are any of the other horrors I've seen so far this year.

This might just do nobody any good.
I loved The Witch. I think it's one of the most unique and disturbing movies of the decade, horror or otherwise.

I love the almost tangible passion that ran through it. There's a unique feeling of authenticity and care that runs at its core and it actually manages to strike fear (read: fear, not shock as it is so much more common these days) all the while tackling feminism, religious boundaries and liberty and patriarchies.

I have to return some videotapes...
If Don't Breathe counts then that would be my pick, but if not than VVitch.

The Conjuring 2 and Don't Breathe. Don't Breathe movie has an interesting concept.

The Bib-iest of Nickels
Interesting concept, extremely weak execution.
I think the execution is extremely good! The only big issue I have with is
WARNING: spoilers below
the semen scene, with them shoving the turkey baster down the blind guy's throat. The scene made me laugh, but it made it impossible for me to take him serious for the rest of the film. Their strange way of setting up a sequel was also bad.

Welcome to the human race...
I think the execution is extremely good! The only big issue I have with is
WARNING: spoilers below
the semen scene, with them shoving the turkey baster down the blind guy's throat. The scene made me laugh, but it made it impossible for me to take him serious for the rest of the film. Their strange way of setting up a sequel was also bad
I mean, it starts off okay and has a decent atmosphere going but I think it suffers for being unable to satisfactorily balance the development of its protagonists and antagonist so it ends up going downhill fast after the initial reveal and for the last half-hour or so I was just wishing it would hurry up and end. Such a disappointment and I can't even imagine how they'll wrangle a sequel out of it.

The Bib-iest of Nickels
I watched Ouija: Origin of Evil last night. Every raved about this film and it made excited to see it, and while I think it was made efficiently and in such a way that improved on the predecessor, I think it was still a boring affair. I would call it the biggest horror disappointment, but I was only excited for it once the reviews poured in, and was excited for 31 for almost the whole year. (and it downright sucked.)

The Bib-iest of Nickels
31 is watchable just for Richard Brake to me, personally.
I think it'd be more forgivable if I hadn't enjoyed The Devil's Rejects and thought it looked like this film would be of a similar esteem to that, the concept art looked really inspired and unique and I thought Rob Zombie was, at last, going to hit all the right notes.