2015 Fuze Views Redux!

→ in
Tools    

I thought Mean Creek ok, but I love Bully, which is based on the same story and is much more for adults.

I also enjoyed The Babadook and Mud.

I'm not a Jack Black fan but I'll probably watch Bernie at some point. I've heard a lot of good things about it.

Give me all of your candy!
Foxcatcher

I can see Carrell taking home the Oscar. I want Keaton to as far as I have seen, but that was a great role for Steve. Amazing movie. Every moment was pure foreboding tension. I went into this without reading into the true story at all, and I am glad I did. Haunting realism and terrific acting, it is a shame this was not recognized for Best Picture. Ruffalo and Tatum were great, but this was Carrell's film. 4.5/5

The Grand Budapest Hotel

There were some solid quirky comedy moments in this film, but I found it boring at times. Not bad at all, just never been much of a fan of Anderson films. I think with a rewatch I may appreciate it a lot more, but upon initial viewing, I give it a 3/5. Nothing special, although it was beautifully shot. Very funny dialogue at times, too. I'm honestly looking forward to giving it another shot.

I thought Mean Creek ok, but I love Bully, which is based on the same story and is much more for adults.

I also enjoyed The Babadook and Mud.

I'm not a Jack Black fan but I'll probably watch Bernie at some point. I've heard a lot of good things about it.
I am not a fan either. I liked him a lot in King Kong, though. Bernie was a great role for him and you can tell he really dug deep for the right tone of the character.

School of Rock is so fun! I need to watch that again soon.

Lord High Filmquisitor
I loved Foxcatcher, even if I felt that the writing was a bit cool for my tastes. It was an excellent, subtlely acted character study with three exceptional performances at its core.

I've never been a Wes Anderson fan, but The Grand Budapest Hotel is by far my favorite thing that he's done (I'd even go so far as to call it the only film of his that I really enjoyed). I'd be shocked if it didn't take home an Oscar for visually technical category that it was nominated for.

Boyhood

Besides the cinematic achievement of filming a child from his childhood into college years with the same actor and a few scenes of dinner table tension, I honestly do not see this as a top contender for Best Picture. By no means a bad movie, but it sort of just trickled in at times and I was constantly looking at the run time. It was for lack of better word..... Boring. 3/5 Foxcatcher deserved a spot over it in my opinion.

The Theory of Everything

A beautiful masterpiece. It was more of a revelation to me than a movie. I have recently hit a rough patch in my life one can only label a sort of mid life crisis. This movie made me realize that if this man can achieve what he did with the hand he was dealt why can't I? I am in no way comparing myself to him, but who is to say I cannot make a castle out of mud as he did? Brilliant movie, will be on my Top 100 list for sure when I finally do it right. Instant must see for me if only because it pulled me out of a rut, and any movie that can literally change your life belongs in the category of perfection.
Best Picture of 2014 for me so far, even though I still think Birdman is perfect, too. Two great films and only 3 more to go until I have seen all the nominees! Check this out if you haven't. Just bring tissues.

Check this out if you haven't. Just bring tissues.
He's not my type. Plus, if you do that in the cinemas over here, you get arrested.

The Imitation Game

Had a good time watching this one and was actually glad to see Knightley turn in a decent performance. Cumberbatch is brilliant as usual. Story was dull at times and slow, but it kept my interest well enough. I would like to revisit this one day if not for the acting alone. Pretty good flick!

Selma

Great depiction of one of the greatest men to walk this Earth. Beautifully shot, great acting, and a stern approach to demonstrate how monstrous people were back then. A heartbreaking story, but one of great revolution. I will be buying this when it comes out. It brought tears to my eyes to know that people actually went through this hell to bring upon glory, yet still to this day we segregate as a nation when we should be hand in hand defending our borders. Great movie.

Lord High Filmquisitor
I'm with you for both The Imitation Game and Selma: two great films with marvelous performances that cover, to varying degrees, the real-life struggles of historically maligned groups within a larger society and their struggles for acceptence. My opinions of Boyhood and The Theory of Everything are pretty much the reverse of yours.

I think upon second viewing of The Theory of Everything it will not be perfect. It just hit home emotionally that first time. So far I think it edges Birdman barely as my favorite Best Picture nominee. I only have Whiplash left to watch and I have high hopes of it. Boyhood was just kind of been there done that for me. Sure it was pretty impressive with all the time it took to make, but break down all the subject matter and emotional distress of a growing teen and you realize.....I have seen this before.....many times. But that is just my opinion. There were some great scenes though. I really liked the talk he had with his girlfriend in the truck on the way to his sister's dorm. Definitely not a bad film by any means, but I would have liked to see Foxcatcher get some love.

I think I may give it another chance. I want to look at it more as a film than a story next time and really take it in....if that makes sense

Whiplash

That was a damn fine film I just watched. Miles Teller and J.K. Simmons are amazing and deserve the recognition they have got for this film. Great direction, some powerful scenes, a REAL experience, didn't seem unbelievable at all at any time, like some of these types of films do. I also think that the ending was one of the most powerful scenes I have ever seen. It was pure adrenaline.

Lucy

Scarlett Johansson turns in an action packed adventure that left me on the edge of my seat. The end was a little much but I had a good time nonetheless. Fun flick that I would recommend to thrill seekers.

Kingsmen

What an unexpected blast this was. Great action, cool story and characters, AWESOME villian portrayed by Samuel L Jackson and one of the best fight scenes in recent history in my opinion. Hilarious movie, never takes itself too seriously, and you can just tell everyone has a blast making this movie. Definite addition to Bluray collection!