The Fuze Five!

Tools    

Give me all of your candy!
Each week I would like to purchase 5 movies I have not seen and ask you guys what order I should watch them in and then tell you what order from least favorite to favorite I would have chose!

Here are this weeks' picks!

Heat (Mann, '95)
Leon The Professional (Besson, '94)
Mystic River (Eastwood, '03)
No Country for Old Men (Coen, '08)
Zodiac (Fincher, '07)

Best to worst.

Leon The Professional (Besson, '94)
Zodiac (Fincher, '07)
Heat (Mann, '95)
Mystic River (Eastwood, '03)
No Country for Old Men (Coen, '08) (I've not finished this, but it's been a good few years and I've not gone back to it)

Lord High Filmquisitor
I've only seen Mystic River and No country for Old Men, but really liked them both and would rank them in that order.

Went with Heat first. Solid acting, long runtime, which I like in a movie, great cast and, although predictable at times, I still had a great time watching it. The bank shootout was pretty damn awesome, also. De Niro and Pacino steal the show as usual, but I appreciated the support also, such as Portman and Kilmer. Solid flick that I would watch again. 7/10

Just watched Leon The Professional and it was brilliant! Portman and Reno blew me away.....but NOTHING compared to Oldman's over the top performance! What a tour de force! Brilliant ending and amazingly scored, I would have to say I am glad I finally gave this a shot. 9.5/10

Ok, just watched Mystic River. Solid performances from Penn and Robbins.....everyone else seemed just......there. Maybe I am just really tired but the only enthralling parts were the beginning 30 mins and the tension near the end. The middle was boring to me except for the Dave scenes and flashbacks. I still enjoyed this, don't get me wrong. First thoughts were a solid 7.5 but that would be saying I liked it more than Heat and I did not. Both seem to be on the same level to me so a 7/10 will be my final verdict. Really powerful beginning and end and I would definitely give it another shot one day!

No Country for Old men is actually a rewatch. I didn't pay attention to it the first time I watched this wonderful film, unfortunately. Great acting, although I despise Brolin most of the time...no clue why, he just doesn't do it for me. Bardem was ruthless and deserved all attention he recieved and the roles he has had since. Loved the small Harrelson role! Coen Brothers have yet to disappoint me! 8.5/10

Last but not least (well.....actually.....), I gave Zodiac a shot. I have heard mixed reviews of this film and feel like I drop right into the middle of them. I did not love it nor hate it, it just seemed way too scattered. I know that is probably the idea of the director, for the killer liked to scatter minds as well so I see where that angle came from. Robert Downey Jr. cashed in a decent performance, as did Ruffalo, but Jake fell short of impressing me as usual. He seemed very monotone and just kind of.....there....at times and it completely took me away from the story. When he confronts "Zodiac" at the end, there was nothing that spoke of triumph of finding an invisible man, so to speak. He just looks at him and walks away. The first hour of the movie was rock solid tension. Second half had me looking at my watch. 6/10 with a chance at a future revisit.

From least favorite to favorite.....

5.) Zodiac
4.) Heat
3.) Mystic River
2.) No Country for Old Men
1.) Leon The Professional

Now to start a new five!

This list is for my wife. She says I do not watch enough musicals. I actually thoroughly enjoy musicals, just haven't been able to throw them in the mix because of the other great films before them that I'd like to see. Here is my list of five musicals I have yet to see.....

Across the Universe (Taymor, '08)
Les Miserables (Hooper, '12)
Mamma Mia! (Lloyd, '08)
Rent (Columbus, '06)
The Sound of Music (Wise, '65)

Hopefully this will be an enjoyable experience, as I am sure I will like at least a couple of these. Here we go!

My first film was Across the Universe. What an awesome movie experience this was! And I do not use that word lightly.....to me this movie was an experience like none other that a musical has given me. The "Let It Be" sequence alone was more powerful than anything I have recently seen. Every musical sequence was brilliantly choreographed, characters are easy to like, and I love a simple story that is easy to keep up with. I also loved how long it was, as it gave everyone a chance to hear their favorite Beatles music in an original light. Beautiful film and a great cast of unknowns, at least to me. The Bono cameo and crafty portrayal of the draft along with some trippy sequences, as one would expect from a Beatles film, make this an instant classic. Fabulous time with this one! 9/10

Chappie doesn't like the real world
For those five I'd order them like this:

1. The Sound of Music
2. Les Miserables
3. Rent
4. Across the Universe
5. Mamma Mia!

The Sound of Music is one of my all time favorite movies. Even though I love musicals and enjoy Abba, I didn't care for Mamma Mia much at all. The other three I like a lot.

I am excited to see them all after Across the Universe. I heard Les Miserables is really good so I shall see.

Lord High Filmquisitor
1. The Sound of Music
2. Les Miserables
3. Rent
I agree with this, though I haven't seen the other two.

My next film was the Best Picture nominee, Tom Hooper's Les Miserables. Let me start by saying I have never seen any other versions of this nor know the story. I am glad I went in blind. Brilliantly acted by all, especially Jackman and Crowe, but also all of the support, which is the backbone of this film; Cohen, Carter, and Hathaway to name a few. Great story told in a beautiful fashion and deserved of all it's acclaim. I am glad I finally got to see this classic, damn near perfect film. Seyfried is beautiful, radiating the screen every chance she gets. A tearjerker with power all throughout this grand film, I never would have thought I could give this the light of day. I am glad I did. Loved it. 9.8/10