My own personal top 50

Tools    

Give me all of your candy!
.....is currently in the works. I have a very shallow set of favorites, which would clearly top worst list ever compiled on here, so I need some help from YOU guys. I am sure this has been done before, but if not, let me be the first to say thank you in advance for your suggestions. My idea is, instead of me giving you the worst top 50 list ever, I want YOU to give me 1 to 5 movies YOU think I should see. I am not much into horror, I love comedy, haven't really seen many great action films, and would have no clue where to start on westerns or war movies. So that gives you a taste of MY taste. Also, I love independent films. I know.....rather vague and elementary descriptions. This may not help me arrange a better list per se, but I am sure it won't hurt. Who knows, you may change my current top 10

In advance once more, I thank you, my friends.

When it comes to comedy there are two directors that I love above all else, Mel Brooks and Kevin Smith.

Mel Brooks is a master of satire and genre parady, and is the director of one of my favorite movies ever Blazing Saddles. He also directed a few excellent comedies including The Producers, Young Frankenstein, and Spaceballs. The last two parody the horror and sci fi genres.

Next is Kevin Smith and his indie hit Clerks. If you can stomach extremely raw and graphic humor and do not mind movies that are dialogue heavy, give him a shot. Chasing Amy also merits consideration as it is probably his most critically acclaimed film.

I have seen Blazing Saddles! I love that movie. Also, Clerks cracks my top 50! I loved the dialogue and hilarity of the fact that it was his day off the whole time! I have not seen Chasing Amy or Young Frankenstein. They are now on my to do list I actually really liked Red State. How did you feel about it? What made that movie for me is the fact that it felt so real.....not in the sense of a shootout at a church.....but the plotting against "evil". Those groups are out there. THAT, my friends, scares me.

Also......John Goodman.

To be honest I liked it. I saw Kevin Smith do something outside his usual fare, and for a horror movie it was genuinely creepy. And the subject matter is of interest to me given my educational background in criminology and criminal justice. I got to see one of my favorite directors grow a bit in both camera movement (mostly because it actually moves) and writing. And John Goodman is awesome! And if you liked Clerks the sequel Clerks II is a must if you have not seen it already.

This movie is incredible. Love the Silent Bob speech.

.....is currently in the works. I have a very shallow set of favorites, which would clearly top worst list ever compiled on here, so I need some help from YOU guys. I am sure this has been done before, but if not, let me be the first to say thank you in advance for your suggestions. My idea is, instead of me giving you the worst top 50 list ever, I want YOU to give me 1 to 5 movies YOU think I should see.
I think you should wait like about one year before making a favorites list.

This is a very good list to begin, compiled from over 800 critics:

http://www.imdb.com/list/ymagdguZPvQ/

It helps you sort out by genre as well.

Another very good list is the IMDB top 250.

My own picks for the 5 movies I would seriously recommend you to see would be like:

Kurosawa, Seven Samurai
Miyazaki, My Neighbor Totoro
Ozu, Tokyo Story
Kubrick, 2001: A Space Odyssey
Tarkosvky, Stalker

Here we would have a varied pallet of films. Stalker would be the hardest to watch. Totoro is the easiest (and best one in my book).

Loved Chasing Amy, Gunslinger! Hilarious dialogue, not the typical ending, and although nothing was really going on besides dialogue and one liners at times, I stayed in there and really enjoyed the down to earth feel of it. Everyone seemed so natural in their parts. Nothing was forced. Best part was the Silent Bob speech in my opinion. Thank you for the suggestion!

Solid 7.5/10

Here's five random films I'd reccomend to people, not sure if you've seen them or not. But these are by no means my favorites, just five good movies of the top of my head.

Sound of Noise
12 Angry Men
Being John Malkovich
Barton Fink
Cube

I think you should wait like about one year before making a favorites list.

This is a very good list to begin, compiled from over 800 critics:

http://www.imdb.com/list/ymagdguZPvQ/

It helps you sort out by genre as well.

Another very good list is the IMDB top 250.

My own picks for the 5 movies I would seriously recommend you to see would be like:

Kurosawa, Seven Samurai
Miyazaki, My Neighbor Totoro
Ozu, Tokyo Story
Kubrick, 2001: A Space Odyssey
Tarkosvky, Stalker

Here we would have a varied pallet of films. Stalker would be the hardest to watch. Totoro is the easiest (and best one in my book).
Will find these online this week. I will start with Totoro as you suggest, good sir.

I'll second Being John Malkovich. I vaguely remember you saying you recently watched Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. Being John Malkovich is by the same screenwriter as Eternal Sunshine.

Suggested Westerns:

Tombstone
Silverado
3:10 to Yuma (the one with Russell Crowe and Christian Bale, I didn't care for the old black and white one)
The Quick and the Dead

Other suggestions made without really knowing anything of your tastes or what you've already seen:

Quills (because it's my favorite movie and I think everybody should watch it)
Bubba Ho-Tep (best horror-comedy ever!)
The Big Lebowski
The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari
Brotherhood of the Wolf
Hedwig and the Angry Inch

I almost hit play on Being John Malkovich tonight, but I had been holding off on The Warriors for weeks. I have seen The Big Lebowski once, loved it, and would like to grab the dvd soon. Quills is one I actually saw on your list at the top spot and put on my to do list. Your write up made it seem as if I couldn't possibly miss it.

As far as the westerns, I have seen Silverado and Tombstone, but they need revisiting. Caligari is one I was surprised I actually got into. Not usually my type, but I would like to check out again. Seems I skimmed it first time because I went in with such low expectations.