What Is The Most Disturbing Film?

Tools    

Taxi Driver (1976) and Le Salaire de la peur (1953) (The Wages of Fear) are two of my favorites that can be considered "disturbing"
"Like the fella says...in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love, they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock!"
- Harry Lime, Vienna, 1948

for me it was the butterfly effect really did not like this movie in the slightest.
also IT now not so sure if i would feel the same if i was to watch it again but just not going there the one and only time i ever watched it i was 7

Celluloid Temptation Facilitator
I can see how The Butterfly Effect could be disturbing. I LOVED it though. I thought it was brilliant.

It's obviously intentionally going for a mysterious seductive feel the whole time and inserts some scary ass stuff when your not expecting it , or maybe you are expecting it - it's David Lynch after all.

BOO !

I found Hostel disturbing, not just because of it's horrific content but because you imagine that some sick people could have a place in Eastern Europe where people pay for the privilege of torturing other people to death. Even worse, that the film might give someone the idea to build such a place.

I dunno man, those Sleestacks are pretty f'ing intense

I have yet to be deeply disturbed by any movie, and skimming thru this thread I've seen 90% of them.
<warning spoilers>
Most recently of all the movies in this thread I saw Salo 120 days of sodom, and I don't get it.. Whats so disturbing about it? It's just a bad movie.. It feels as if the directors main goal was too piss people off.. Well he must have succeeded since he got killed for it but.. I mean yeah sure it has some rape, some forced **** eating etc, but what's so disturbing with it? Eating **** and raping people isn't disturbing (in a movie) it's just boring and bad fantasy on the script writers part.
Same thing with Irreversiblé. The most impressive part in that movie was the opening.. 21 hits with that fire extinguisher (yes i counted, had too was just overkill, but it did look pretty real.

I like psychological films such as mullholland drive, memento etc. Not saying that tohse ones are disturbing tho. Is there ANY movie out there who will make me shutter in my bed at night?

Hah, yeah but not of discomfort ;(

Sounds like someone didn't get it...
Yeah well sorry , just being honest here. Also.. That happened 35 years ago. I didn't think that saying so would upset people who watch that kind of movies.

Explain it too me. What's the purpose of this film?
Cause I don't see the message.

Just do a little research on Wikipedia - it won't hurt you. I've found doing your own research can be more rewarding than having someone tell you outright.

And I'm not upset, but it was a pretty cruel thing to say. He wasn't murdered because of that film; he was murdered for his own beliefs. So tell me how that's even slightly humorous.

I never said it was humorous. But for you too think something like that, I bet this film suited you perfectly..

You made a joke about him being murdered for "pissing someone off"...
How the HELL can you interpret that as a joke?

It feels as if the directors main goal was too piss people off.. Well he must have succeeded since he got killed for it but..
Read what you typed. How else should I have interpreted that? You were clearly wrong about why he was murdered...

I'm not sure I see what I typed wrong, but I'll try again in other words.
As far as I've read. He was murdered shortly after the film was made, and thus I assumed it was because of the movie. End of that.

Too me this movie is just an attempt to get people with a weak stomach to throw up. I don't see Any message or point with this movie. Why would Anyone wanna see what they're doing in this movie?

Too me it's not disturbing, it's not shocking, it's just unnecessarily disgusting.
So again, please explain what this movie is about. Oh, and Wikipedia is NOT a reliable source of info. It's can be edited by anyone.

Then use another source; quit being lazy. Do your own research. Why is it such a struggle for you to do something on your own?

I could tell you that it's a condemnation of capitalism and its ramifications on sexuality (that's not even half of it, believe me) - but I'm not going into extensive detail on the film. Many filmmakers, including Scorsese, have all argued the legitimacy of the film having artistic merit.

For the record, I'm not even a big fan of the film. But it does have its significance and meaning; it would be absurd to say otherwise.