Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Furlough aka Time Out

Saw this randomly on Amazon Prime, came in thinking it would be decent with the cast consisting of Tessa Thompson, Whoopi Goldberg and Anna Paquin who I all like (love me some Whoopi back in the day). The premise is not all that original, but this wasn't the worst movie to watch. It's got some funny moments, and Thompson is a strong enough lead to carry the movie forward. It's also got some nice heart warming moment's revolving around Thompsons and Leo's story. I would recommend it, but don't expect to walk away with you mind blown. It's an easy watch, something to have on the background or late at night before going to sleep.

2/5 stars

Society ennobler, last seen in Medici's Florence
Arrival (2016)

Finally I found time for this movie. What a waste of time.
Meaningless work except for the jobbers who use the cute Amy Adams' muzzle to make a fat wad.
That's probably what people define as Hollywood crap.

This is my favorite of the series, but I'd not have been able to enjoy it has much without having seen The Silence of the Lambs. Florence seemed to be Hannibal's habitat. I enjoyed everything about this film, the nuances, specially how Anthony Hopkins carried himself, and Ridley Scott is indeed an outstanding director, this would be so diminished without him.

I was hoping for exactly this, a more commercial film, but with an outstanding editing and camera work, all involved with the same mysticism and rituals we have been accustomed to. In my honest opinion, Egger's works in downsizing, the first film was outstanding, the following was interesting and still captivating, with The Northman you can see the talent but lacks something the other two had, maybe more backstage work, this project was not individual. To me, this film was not a crescendo and I believe that's what they intended, was slowly getting more unappealing, but I still enjoyed it.

Victim of The Night
30 Days of Night (2007)

I felt this movie was held up almost entirely by Danny Huston (an actor we simply did not see enough of in his prime).

Victim of The Night
Arrival (2016)

Finally I found time for this movie. What a waste of time.
Meaningless work except for the jobbers who use the cute Amy Adams' muzzle to make a fat wad.
That's probably what people define as Hollywood crap.

Wow, I thought it was pretty good.

Victim of The Night

I was hoping for exactly this, a more commercial film, but with an outstanding editing and camera work, all involved with the same mysticism and rituals we have been accustomed to. In my honest opinion, Egger's works in downsizing, the first film was outstanding, the following was interesting and still captivating, with The Northman you can see the talent but lacks something the other two had, maybe more backstage work, this project was not individual. To me, this film was not a crescendo and I believe that's what they intended, was slowly getting more unappealing, but I still enjoyed it.
I find it really bizarre that he hates The VVitch.
I read a second interview with him where he actually uses the word "hate" for the film and it just makes me think, "Oh you are you gonna be one of these John Lennon artistes? How fashionable. Dork."

This is my favorite of the series, but I'd not have been able to enjoy it has much without having seen The Silence of the Lambs. Florence seemed to be Hannibal's habitat. I enjoyed everything about this film, the nuances, specially how Anthony Hopkins carried himself, and Ridley Scott is indeed an outstanding director, this would be so diminished without him.
I second this.

Glad to see someone else dare to enjoy this movie since the ruling regime put it in the black list.
Florence combined with Anthony Hopkins - that's a feast of art.

My rating

This masterpiece will pass through the ages.

The movie was well made and fairly interesting. Although I didn't find it as memorable as some of its fans, its not a bad movie IMO.

BTW, Nicole Kidman's plastic surgery face looks a bit too weird for a movie set in the medieval period. It tends to break the suspense of disbelief IMO.

“Sugar is the most important thing in my life…”
BTW, Nicole Kidman's plastic surgery face looks a bit too weird for a movie set in the medieval period. It tends to break the suspense of disbelief IMO.
I hadn’t seen anybody else say this. It was an uncanny valley situation the whole time I was watching her. Especially for how detail oriented Eggers is, this seemed like a glaring misstep.

Good catch!
Probably the director means that a Semi-goddess can look like this in any epoch of the world.

Just finished watching the new movie "Sneakerella" on Disney+. Directed by Elizabeth Allen Rosenbaum, this musical comedy puts a gender flipped contemporary twist on the Cinderella story. A teenage boy named El is an aspiring sneaker designer who meets Kira King, the beautiful teen daughter of a sneaker tycoon. Can these two cute teens find love and a happy ending? Or will El's mean stepfather and stepbrothers get in the way? Sneakerella is a fun and charming film that will delight families (and middle aged men who like musicals about teens and sneakers). I enjoyed the music and the fresh twist on a well known story. The two leads, Chosen Jacobs and Lexi Underwood, did a good job and had a nice chemistry. My rating is a

I forgot the opening line.

By May be found at the following website: WordPress.com, Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=2658181

Before Sunrise - (1995)

This entire trilogy escaped my notice, and it was only the inclusion of Before Sunset in the 2000s Top 100 Countdown and various comments about it that clued me in on these three films and their general status in the cinephile community. I was really enchanted by this first chapter last night, and it took me directly back to my youth - it's pretty rare that any kind of love story gets my adoration, but Before Sunrise felt so very real, and was told in a direct, no-frills, almost real-time manner. It was such simplicity, and yet I'd never seen anything like it before in my life. How has this film been around for 27 years and yet completely escaped my notice? I'm going through a great phase of movie watching at the moment, finding a lot of joy in various films I've never seen before filling me with admiration. I go in blind when it comes to the next two films in the trilogy and what sort of ground they cover, which I'll watch over the succeeding two nights.

9/10

Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=2658181

When Borat Came to Town (Carmen Meets Borat) - (2008)

It's kind of unfair for me to rate this, because all sources tell me this is an 84 minute documentary, but my version only has a running time of 59 minutes. Considering it was distributed here by SBS I'm guessing it's been edited down into a television timeslot length, and watching it gives the impression that the ending is very compressed. Anyway, it features the town of Glod, in Romania, which is the town Larry Charles and Sacha Baron Cohen used for Borat's home town in Kazakhstan. Glod just happens to be one of the worst places on Earth. Poverty, alcoholism, crime and more blot the place, but the population were still humiliated and angered when they saw the way the place was represented in the film, and this doc details the way two huckster lawyers took advantage of the people from this town once again for publicity, promising them $30 million in compensation in a class action lawsuit. It also follows Carmen, an intelligent 17 year-old girl who ends up predicting what was really going on, and ending up married to the person she loves, in spite of local tradition.

5/10 - For the 59 minute version, but it would have been definitely more for an unedited look.

Latest Review : Le Circle Rouge (1970)

Uh, what the ****?

The Northman (2022)

A simple and familiar story that is, unfortunately, padded with so much unnecessary fluff that it's almost twice as long as it needs to be. It aims to be an epic, but in many ways, it feels small. Like Eggers is lost with the budget he's given. Skarsgård is too old for his role (or Bang too young for his). There are some nice scenes and it's close enough to sword and sandal films I like, so it's still OK.

Eggers may not like The VVitch anymore, but I think each of his later films have been worse than the ones before.

--
Firestarter (2022)

It's not a top-tier King novel, and the original film adaptation isn't good by any standards, but this new Firestarter is another level of bad. I don't agree with any of the changes they did to the story, and the film looks like a cheap TV movie. At least I like the subject, so it could be worse.

The Northman (2022)

A simple and familiar story that is, unfortunately, padded with so much unnecessary fluff that it's almost twice as long as it needs to be.

Where is the fluff?

It aims to be an epic,

An epic (as the term is used to describe cinema) typically offers us an account of a large scale historical drama like a war and is told through an ensemble of characters, big sweeping history. It does not aim to be "epic" in this sense.

but in many ways, it feels small.

This is a personal story and we follow one character.

Like Eggers is lost with the budget he's given.

I don't think so. The story is direct and austere.

Firestarter (2022)

It's not a top-tier King novel, and the original film adaptation isn't good by any standards, but this new Firestarter is another level of bad. I don't agree with any of the changes they did to the story, and the film looks like a cheap TV movie. At least I like the subject, so it could be worse.

Yep.