R.I.P. Fred Ward

Tools    

"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

This was a hard one, I've always loved Tremors. It was my favourite film as a kid. Shame we never got to see him pair up with Kevin Bacon again, the two of them were great together. He also played Joe Dirt's dad!

(And while he did have a small role in Carny as an angry mark, that's actually Robbie Robertson in that screencap with JoFo and Busey.)

Rest in Peace, I loved him in Tremors.

I was always hoping there'd be more Hoke Moseley movies. Charles Willeford wrote four in all and Ward was perfect in the role.

79 isn't a bad run, but it still sucks.

The first movie that comes to mind when I think of Fred Ward is Remo Williams, even though I haven't seen the movie in its entirety. I remember seeing the trailer of that movie all the time on cable back on the 80's. The two movies I like the most with him are Tremors and Naked Gun 33 1/3.
“Let me tell you something you already know. The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place and I don't care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!” ~ Rocky Balboa

The doors of wisdom are never shut. - 'Socrates'
I remember him most fondly from Tremors but he's been in so many films. Remo: Unarmed and Dangerous (as it was called in the UK) was a good film which had the future Captain of the USS Voyager in it.
Did you know that in the 1980s movie PREDATOR the titular character was not originally portrayed by Kevin Peter Hall. It was in fact Jean-Claude Van Damme donning a much more insect inspired full body suit before he left the production which then led to the recasting and redesigning of the famous hunter.