DEADWOOD - HBO Reunion Movie

Tools    

Watching McShane play a villain again is a Christmas present. Always thought his career should be on a higher level than what it is and has been. Hollywood dropped the ball with him.

The Adventure Starts Here!
The trailer left out my man, "Mr. Wu"!

No, he's there! Watch the link just above your post! He's dressed a little differently (as is everyone else)... but he's there!

Wow even Mr Wu is in it...I love that co%###
Heh, heh. The irony is that in real life, Keone Young doesn't use that kind of language. Did you happen to notice him as "General Hata" in the last episode of season 2, The Man in the High Castle?

~Doc

TOMORROW at 8 PM Eastern Daylight Time! And until recently I had thought this was going to be in theaters. Duh. It's on HBO, HBO-GO, and HBO-NOW. Which makes sense. I think I had envisioned it like Serenity ... with Firefly being a series and Serenity being an in-theater movie.

Anyway, 24 hours away for me here on the East Coast of the U.S.A.!

Just finished watching it. Gotta rewatch. I must've missed someone saying "Anyways" somewhere. There's no way they'd leave that out, especially when there were so many nods to previous lines of dialogue from the series. But I missed it somehow...

Everything felt a little stiff and forced for a while, but I think I can forgive that because it's been more than a decade since any of these folks played these characters. Some of the folks felt like they were there just to check off the boxes of how many original cast members they could crowd into the movie, even if they didn't really have anything worthwhile to say or do. I'm thinking mainly of Dan Dority.

And I think I'm a bit disappointed in their choice of the main storyline (George Hearst coming back into town to stir up trouble again). Seems too cheap and easy... and way too much like the series. I think I'd already had enough of the George Hearst storyline by the end of season 3 and would have rather seen many of our favorites getting more of the spotlight than Hearst's character.

But, gripes aside, it was great fun to hear the cadence of the dialogue again, the backhanded quips, and the banter. There just wasn't enough of it. We got TINY snippets of fun with E.B. and Johnny and Mr. Wu, but not nearly enough. Frankly, I would have appreciated less storyline and more banter.

They did, though, wrap up everyone's stories well enough that it feels like enough closure. It just took so darned long to get it that it was bound to underwhelm a little bit...

...but just a little bit.

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
Agreed. Snip the flashbacks and replace it with more plotting and more Wu. First 20 mins felt too much like a made for tv pace but once Trixy opened her mouth it was DEADWOOD again. I think without the flashbacks and a few odd gray hairs it would have been great(er).

You ready? You look ready.
Nah, the flashbacks do wonders to refresh. I didn’t mind them.

And Deadwood is a living, breathing town. There is no wrapping up it up in a nice bow, so I’m glad to see they didn’t try. But damn, all this nostalgia has got me all weepy.
"This is that human freedom, which all boast that they possess, and which consists solely in the fact, that men are conscious of their own desire, but are ignorant of the causes whereby that desire has been determined." -Baruch Spinoza

What an excellent day for an exorcism
Other than some isolated clips, I've never watched a single episode of Deadwood. I considered watching the whole series before watching the movie, but I got curious to see if I could follow it as a stand alone movie. There were a few scenes that it was apparent there was a history between two given characters, but that's really no different than watching any stand alone movie where two characters jump in talking about their history.

The biggest problem I had with the movie is mid-way through run time, I fell asleep. That's not a good a sign. However, in all fairness to the movie, I started watching it after midnight, I was lying in bed while watching it, I had been awake for 22 hours prior to lying down, I had drink a glass of warm milk, downed a couple shots of rum, took some nyquil, took a half tablet of valium, and Kenny G was playing in the background.