What was the movie that made you love movies?

Tools    

Good whiskey make jackrabbit slap de bear.
Erm... Not even Fight Club, TylerDurden99, with your Fight Club avatar?
Fight Club came after I started to love movies. When I watched Fight Club, I was like "Whoa!" and it instantly became a favourite with me. It wasn't always my second favourite movie. It was originally my 8th and, in time and repeated viewings, got to my No.2 spot. But I do love Fight Club, and it did have tremendous impact on me.

Erm... Not even Fight Club, TylerDurden99, with your Fight Club avatar?
Ah but thats the difference with the film that made you love film, and your favorite film. Was Drew Barrymore in the movie that made you love movies? Ive said this before, but I really love the variety of films listed in this thread

I bump this thread every year or so to get the input of the new posters at MoFo.

So this isnt a "Whats your favorite movie?" thread. There are a ton of those. This is more specifically about the one movie that made you crest from being a mainstream movie viewer to an outright film buff.

So what movie did it for you?

Got to say that the movie that made me love movies would be the Indiana Jones Trilogy and Star Wars trilogy. That made me a movie lover.

But what made me a film buff and made me think about film differently, was a combination of films from my first film course in college. One was Double Indemnity, another was Dr Strangelove, and another was American Beauty. These movies and the class helped turn me from a film lover, to a man who was able to analyze films as well.

The first films that initially sparked my interest in movies were Goodfellas and The Godfather trilogy. At the time though i wasn't interested in any films outside the mainstream, you would never have caught me watching a black and white or foreign language movie. It was Gone With The Wind that got me interested in watching any type of movie. Except Musicals, which i still can't bring myself to watch most of the time

Probably it stemmed from cartoons for me. Hanna Barbera, Walt Disney, Garfield, JhonnyB, Spongebob etc. What really got me going was not a movie, it was living alone.

I can say that what made get into foreign language films though, it was a very good romantic movie called the Classic (2003).

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0348568/

Very touching and good.

Hard to say where my love really began. Maybe it was in a cabin in Yellowstone when I watched the Poltergeist Trilogy

Or maybe it was just a bit earlier when I watched the original When S Stranger Calls

Either way it appears my love rooted from horror

Here's a rather strange story for you guys actually... my mum is a fan of Big Brother, and watches a lot of the series they do. Anyway, Michael Madsen was on it last summer and in one task he had to do karaoke to 'Stuck in the Middle with You' because of his 'most famous movie scene', I had already heard a little bit about Reservoir Dogs, and my mum told me about how she remembered how 'gruesome' the scene was... so naturally, I decided to watch the film. I thought it was great so then I watched Pulp Fiction, and the rest is history So yeh, thank Big Brother for my film love

American Beauty

This is probably the first serious movie that really made me open my eyes and saw movies as art.

The Wizard of Oz

This would have to be my all time favourite movie as a child, I think the adventure more than anything drew me in.

The Land Before Time

I don't know how many times I watched this as a child and still love it to this day. This is a close second to the Wizard of Oz abd one of the best childhood memories.

One of the first films in my life that I can remember seeing, and loving. I must have been six or seven at the time. Everytime I see it, the first thing that comes to mind is my childhood.

It all started with an obsession for James Bond films a couple of years ago.
After seeing The Living Daylights on TV, I wanted to check out all the Bond films. My father had the whole box, so I watched two Bond films every evening with my sister.
I fell in love with the older Connery films, mainly because the look of those older Bond movies was so stylish and in a certain way nostalgic to me. They gave me a certain satisfaction that no modern films ever could (I hadn't watched many good films yet, of course).

It made me realise that I could also get this nostalgic satisfaction from other films.
I started to look on the internet for an older film to start my exploration of the huge treasure of classic cinema and I came across the title Casablanca. Of course I'd heard from that film already, but I never knew what it was about or anything like that.
I went to my father's DVD collection, found it and watched it one night.

From the moment I saw Humphrey Bogart as Rick Blaine, sitting in the exclusive gambling area of his own bar playing chess, I was completely sold. This was the single coolest (film) image I'd ever seen in my entire life.

I spent 102 minutes in the exotic and romantic city of Casablanca that night and I was BLOWN AWAY.
The next day I showed it to my sister, because I was so extremely excited about what I discovered, and she also liked it.
Since then, I think I've seen it maybe 20 or 30 times already. It is to date my favorite film of all time.

Anyway, Humphrey Bogart instantly became my new hero and while reading about him and about classic films, I decided to watch every movie that seemed worthwile to me, hoping to find a similar experience as I had when watching Casablanca.

I can happily say that films like Chinatown, City Lights or Brazil (and dozens of other favorites) offered me similar satisfying experiences. Cinema has become an important part of my life, as I'm now constantly looking for new interesting films and directors to discover.

It has changed my life so much that I constantly want to read and talk about it. My friends really thought I was going nuts in the beginning (oh well, that's perhaps a little exaggerated). Whenever I was getting too drunk or too high, I unwittingly started talking about films to everyone, even to girls I was with at parties. I apparently wanted to share my new discovery with mankind!
I'm glad to see that some of my friends are also getting more interested in some real quality films lately.

Oh well, enough chatter. You all get the point, otherwise you wouldn't be here.

The Brave Little Weeman Returns!
Jackass: The Movie

Nah.

I think the first film I watched which really made me seek out loads more films and think "...wow..." at the same time was probably:

The animation. The story. The Randy Newman. It fulfilled everything I needed in a film at that point in my life. I was 4, I still remember going to see it as if it were yesterday. I'll never forget my first cinema trip (although apparently I did see Toy Story when I was 1, but I don't remember that).

Reviews

i didn't really care about movies until i saw Curse of the Black Pearl in theaters in 2003. before i went into movies having any idea of what to expect... i thought i was about to watch a boring-ish historical-type movie about pirates. i didn't know who johnny depp was... but the moment a then-mysterious pirate appeared on screen on top of a little dinghy i got an inexplicable inner rush of vivacity

and even now when i rewatch this entrance i get a stupid goofy grin on my face, can't help it. and this exhilarating rush never let up on that first viewing, it carried through right to the end of the movie for me.

after that my mentality definitely changed and i started actually paying attention to who the people were in movies. after some years of searching out and paying more attention to what really was the standard mainstream blockbuster type stuff, i began searching further back in time for movies... and several have mesmerized me to a similar degree... these are the most rewarding movie experiences. when i start a movie i've never seen, and somehow i become completely spellbound by the story, the characters, and what is unfolding before my eyes. this is a rare occurrence for me and it's difficult to explain why it happens for some movies and doesn't for others

the first time movie experiences that cast this bewitching-like effect... where for an hour or two i forget all my worries and get completely drawn in by the dazzle on-screen on first viewing:
Terminator 2: Judgment Day... still remember i bought it at best buy during college years ago, didn't watch it right away... several days later i woke up at a really strange hour in the middle of the night after partying out on the town all day. 3 or 4 AM or something like that. and what was weird was how wide awake and alert i was, i vividly remember that... thinking why the hell am i not more groggy, or hung over and whatnot? why do i not want to just sleep right now? so i threw in Terminator 2. what followed was exactly what i'm talking about, complete immersion. probably sounds goofy to say but at the end right before Arnold's completely lowered into the sizzling lava, he throws the thumbs up... i got the chills/misty-eyed thing in spades... as if in that one moment arnold was sending me a message through the night.. saying it's gonna be alright... everything is gonna be alright. we all have heartbreaks in our life and without going into details and despite the ridiculous absurdity that this was happening during a sci-fi blockbuster movie about terminators, i was in such a heartbreaking time of my life. it was a profound moment for me. i got a surge of confidence that anything i strongly believed in accomplishing, i could do. i'll never be able to relive that initial revelation when it happened bc it doesn't work the same when you know it's coming... but this image will always remind me of that night

and i think that's the thing about movies... the thrill of that first viewing can never be relived. you can watch movies you love over and over and you can still enjoy them... but you can never re-experience the excitement of that first viewing to its full extent

the other movies that did this for me were For a Few Dollars More, Casablanca, Taxi Driver, Sunset Blvd, Angels with Dirty Faces, Big Trouble in Little China, and most recently... the original Nightmare on Elm Street (1984)... which in a way brought me full circle to when i was 16 in 2003 watching Curse of the Black Pearl... the original Nightmare being Depp's first movie he played in

there are also several movies i count among my favorites that for whatever reason did not really give me that first initial rush of complete fascination... but i came to appreciate very much after repeat viewings... those being Alien, Halloween, the Thing, Star Wars, Empire, Raiders of the Lost Ark, and others i'm probly forgetting. it's hard to explain why some movies don't have that full effect on the initial viewing... but i do believe it is those entirely captivating first-time viewings that are most rewarding... and make it worth it to try watching hundreds of movies to get to the next one

Here's a rather strange story for you guys actually... my mum is a fan of Big Brother, and watches a lot of the series they do. Anyway, Michael Madsen was on it last summer and in one task he had to do karaoke to 'Stuck in the Middle with You' because of his 'most famous movie scene', I had already heard a little bit about Reservoir Dogs, and my mum told me about how she remembered how 'gruesome' the scene was... so naturally, I decided to watch the film. I thought it was great so then I watched Pulp Fiction, and the rest is history So yeh, thank Big Brother for my film love
It is an original way to get into films I'll say that! And defiantly one of the most interesting!

On the outside looking in.

KING KONG

Finished here. It's been fun.
Jurassic Park. When I was a kid I loved Dinosaurs to death. This film was magical for me, it was seen again and again by me. It was breathtaking each time i saw it.