Johnny Depp, The Thin Man

Tools    

Semper Fooey
Johnny Depp Wants 'The Thin Man' Remake -- And Writers Are Lining Up At Warner Bros

By MIKE FLEMING | Wednesday October 20, 2010
Suddenly the hot writing job at Warner Bros is the 76-year old film The Thin Man, because Johnny Depp wants to remake it with his Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides director Rob Marshall. The studio already has put together a short list of Terry Rossio, Jerry Stahl and Christopher McQuarrie, each of whom have worked previously with Depp. And like the actor, they are fans of the Dashiell Hammett novel and the series of six MGM films that starred William Powell and Myrna Loy. Depp sparked to playing the role of Nick, who marries a young socialite and settles into a life of drinking and occasional sleuthing. No word on who'll play Norah.

"The Thin Man has long been a favorite of mine and with Rob at the helm, I know we're in great hands," Depp said. Added Warner Bros Pictures Group president Jeff Robinov: "There is no one more perfectly suited to portray Nick Charles than Johnny Depp." Depp and his Infinitum Nihil partner Christi Dembrowski are producing with Langley Park's Kevin McCormick. As a Warner Bros production executive, McCormick worked with Depp on such films as Sweeney Todd and Dark Shadows. The intention is to take elements of the first two films and work them into one film. It will be true to the period, in a Sherlock Holmes-like stylized treatment. They also intend to use Marshall’s talents as a choreographer and work in a musical number or two. Despite the excitement, Depp has plenty to keep him busy. He's booked to star with Tim Burton in Dark Shadows, along with Tom Hanks he is circling the Kathryn Bigelow-directed Triple Frontier (aka Sleeping Dogs), and he is eyeing a re-team with his original Pirates director Gore Verbinski in The Lone Ranger.
Word of the Thin Man deal broke first in Vulture.

If they actually make this, and I doubt they will, I smell big bomb. The Thin Man movies were a lot of fun, but they belong to another era.

Why not just write a movie inspired by the tone of The Thin Man? Ya know, progress
Agreed. Hollywood is so concerned with pre-sold properties these days they will hardly even consider making an original picture without a bankable star. Problem is - the studios have all the stars, like Depp, thinking in their terms these days.

King of Couch Potatoes
I think Depp could actually do really well at this role and wouldn't mind seeing it. Almost like Sherlock Holmes meet Leaving Las Vegas, could definitely be a character that Depp could tackle very well.

Good god... Gee, will The Thin Man know Karate and carry around a B.F.G. in his trunk for when he gets into a serious scrape? Maybe he'll have a pet Monkey instead of Asta the dog. That'd be a hoot.

F*ck you Johnny and F*ck you Warner Brothers!

Another bad idea in the long sad history of bad ideas.