Dune (Denis Villeneuve, 2021)

Tools    

I just watched the trailer, something I almost never do, but I love the Dune story:

The visuals look great of course...But, the cadence of the actors dialogue sounded way too contemporary and would fit right into any other 2021 movie. The dialogue and the way it's delivered needed to be timeless (as John-Connor just posted) and not of the modern day.

I'd probably watch this new Dune someday, but not excited about it....Oh and yes I'm a big fan of David Lynch's Dune (the theatrical cut, not the extended bloated cut)

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
They could double the runtime of Lynch's Dune and I'll still ask for more.

"Ever try to forcibly pin down a house cat? It's not easy." - Captain Steel

"I just can't get pass sticking a finger up a dog's butt." - John Dumbear

I just watched the trailer, something I almost never do, but I love the Dune story:

The visuals look great of course...But, the cadence of the actors dialogue sounded way too contemporary and would fit right into any other 2021 movie. The dialogue and the way it's delivered needed to be timeless (as John-Connor just posted) and not of the modern day.

I'd probably watch this new Dune someday, but not excited about it....Oh and yes I'm a big fan of David Lynch's Dune (the theatrical cut, not the extended bloated cut)
I have similar feelings to yours. Having watched the trailer should hold me for quite awhile.. Very impressive special effects are on display, which one would expect; however I just watched Loki, so that has satisfied my semi-annual jones for razzmatazz.

A couple of the key actors/actresses looked like they were pulled out of middle school, so I'm guessing that group is their target audience. And at a runtime of over 2.5 hours, that'll hold sci-fi fans for a couple of weeks..

I can see why devotees of the franchise starting with Frank Herbert's book Dune (1965) would be excited by fresh attempts at transferring the saga to cinema. It's a fan's dream project, what with the book, Villeneuve, Greg Fraser as DP, Hans Zimmer score, and a mammoth big studio project. If only $165M was spent, they'll likely make back 5 times that.

...A couple of the key actors/actresses looked like they were pulled out of middle school, so I'm guessing that group is their target audience...
I noticed that too. And they could've went with younger adult actors who are 20 something, but don't look like Jr High teens.

I kinda got a Twilight feel from the trailer, not that I've ever seen the Twilight movies.

Paul Atreides is meant to be 15 years old, after all…

Paul Atreides is meant to be 15 years old, after all…
Yeah, but YA flicks the last decade got me a wee bit anxious.

Also, I will be broken hearted if there are no Battle Pugs. Please, make it so.

I think I already made this joke though. Oh well. New faces, new excuses.

ok, I'll post this last bit and leave the thread to the serious stuff. I found this on another forum and it kinda cracked me up:

"Pug sign."

I hope it will be the best movie of 2021. A quite place pt 2 and Wrath of Man left a mixed feeling after watching

The trick is not minding
I hope it will be the best movie of 2021. A quite place pt 2 and Wrath of Man left a mixed feeling after watching
I have high hopes he can pull it off. But so far, In The Heights has been the best film I’ve seen this far in theaters. Now, that may change once “Awards Season” ramps up, but regardless, it’ll find it way in my personal top ten of 2021.

“Sugar is the most important thing in my life…”
I need your “In theater” movie list, stat!

A system of cells interlinked
Just randomly ran across a tidbit that has apparently been known for a few months: this film will only cover the first half of the book. I understand the material is dense, and that Lynch had trouble editing a film down to a tolerable theatrical run time, but my worry is that this film doesn't do well, and we never get to see the conclusion. Dune is not blockbuster material, so if this film performs similarly to wither Arrival or Blade Runner 2049, I doubt the second half would get greenlit.