Tools    

Im.gonna go with
Scream
Friday the 13th
The burning
The fog

Victim of The Night
What are the others, then?
Well, I would like to preface this again that these would be MY "rules" (informal as they are) and I don't hold anyone else to them. They are also not carved in the rock on the Mount. I can be (a little) flexible.

The killer cannot be supernatural or a monster. I'm pretty big on this one so I put it first. If you're being stalked by ghosts, you're in a ghost-story not a slasher. If you're being stalked by an alien, you're in an alien-horror, not a slasher. If you're being stalked by Frankenstein or Pumpkinhead (or some other monster) you're in a monster movie. If you're being stalked by a zombie... a shark... you get my point.
So Freddy is not a slasher to me. Nor Chucky. Jeepers Creepers is not (that's like a demon or something). Candyman is not. The Fog is not. Jason gets a pass because he started out human. The Funhouse is a tricky one, but I would probably not classify it as a Slasher.

A Slasher movie must have victims. A guy stalking one person for the whole movie (Hush) is not a Slasher. A guy who killed like one person in the movie is not a Slasher either. There have to be victims. Even a movie like He Knows You're Alone, which technically has victims but... well spoilers... but mostly consists of the main character being tormented, is not a Slasher. There is one obvious and huge exception to this as well.

Groups of killers are not Slasher movies to me. So The Purge is not. The Firefly trilogy is not. The Hills Have Eyes is not. The Descent is not (also breaking the first rule). 31 is not. There is one obvious exception to this rule.

There must be a stalking/suspense element to the movie. If you basically just walk into a ****-storm of getting butchered and/or running for your life, like in TCM (which also violates rule 3 here) or House Of 1,000 Corpses, you are not in a Slasher.

Home-invasion films are not Slashers to me. They are their own genre.

There might be some other things, to a large degree, for me, it is a feel thing but these are the kinds of things that would probably lead to me not thinking a movie was a Slasher. Really to me Slasher is a rule-in thing rather than a rule-out. It is its own genre and deserves to be, it's not just some all-inclusive hodge-podge of horrors. And, as I've said, there are exceptions to the "rules".

Well, I would like to preface this again that these would be MY "rules" (informal as they are) and I don't hold anyone else to them. They are also not carved in the rock on the Mount. I can be (a little) flexible.

The killer cannot be supernatural or a monster. I'm pretty big on this one so I put it first. If you're being stalked by ghosts, you're in a ghost-story not a slasher. If you're being stalked by an alien, you're in an alien-horror, not a slasher. If you're being stalked by Frankenstein or Pumpkinhead (or some other monster) you're in a monster movie. If you're being stalked by a zombie... a shark... you get my point.
So Freddy is not a slasher to me. Nor Chucky. Jeepers Creepers is not (that's like a demon or something). Candyman is not. The Fog is not. Jason gets a pass because he started out human. The Funhouse is a tricky one, but I would probably not classify it as a Slasher.

A Slasher movie must have victims. A guy stalking one person for the whole movie (Hush) is not a Slasher. A guy who killed like one person in the movie is not a Slasher either. There have to be victims. Even a movie like He Knows You're Alone, which technically has victims but... well spoilers... but mostly consists of the main character being tormented, is not a Slasher. There is one obvious and huge exception to this as well.

Groups of killers are not Slasher movies to me. So The Purge is not. The Firefly trilogy is not. The Hills Have Eyes is not. The Descent is not (also breaking the first rule). 31 is not. There is one obvious exception to this rule.

There must be a stalking/suspense element to the movie. If you basically just walk into a ****-storm of getting butchered and/or running for your life, like in TCM (which also violates rule 3 here) or House Of 1,000 Corpses, you are not in a Slasher.

Home-invasion films are not Slashers to me. They are their own genre.

There might be some other things, to a large degree, for me, it is a feel thing but these are the kinds of things that would probably lead to me not thinking a movie was a Slasher. Really to me Slasher is a rule-in thing rather than a rule-out. It is its own genre and deserves to be, it's not just some all-inclusive hodge-podge of horrors. And, as I've said, there are exceptions to the "rules".
At least we agree that The Silence of the Lambs is a horror film.

A guy stalking one person for the whole movie (Hush) is not a Slasher.
What if there are multiple victims whilst stalking that one person? Do the victims have to be given approximately equal stabby-stabby time?

What if the slasher uses a blunt instrument and doesn’t “slash?”

My all time is A Nightmare on Elm Street. It's much more creative than the average slasher and rightfully so, molding the haunted house and slasher genres by connecting them with a dream theme.

The series was good until number 5 where it just started throwing in ideas, and 6 was so dumb that I like the 2010 remake more.
Yeah great but A Nightmare On Elm Street is not a slasher film not even close, what’s your second favourite slasher film, Hellraiser 🙄
Do you know what a roller pigeon is, Barney? They climb high and fast, then roll over and fall just as fast toward the earth. There are shallow rollers and deep rollers. You can’t breed two deep rollers, or their young will roll all the way down, hit, and die. Officer Starling is a deep roller, Barney. We should hope one of her parents was not.

What if it turned out that Chucky was actually inside of Jason, operating him by remote control. And that Chucky was in fact having a bad dream, in which Freddy Krueger was influencing his behavior. And Freddy Krueger, wasn't just one Freddy Krueger, but a gang of Freddy Kruegers fighting for control of Chucky's mind, who is in turn controlling Jason, who it will turn out is actually a ghost. And then The Prowler kills all of them with a pitchfork in the shower, but it's really just one of them, because only Chucky is really alive, but he's a doll, so not really?

What is that called?

Yeah great but A Nightmare On Elm Street is not a slasher film not even close, what’s your second favourite slasher film, Hellraiser 🙄

I'm just gonna sit back and watch how many people quote how wrong this is. And to be fair, you're the first person who's ever said that to me. Sorry, but a guy going around killing people with a single knife-based weapon sounds likea slasher to me, ghost or not.

I'm just gonna sit back and watch how many people quote how wrong this is. And to be fair, you're the first person who's ever said that to me. Sorry, but a guy going around killing people with a single knife-based weapon sounds likea slasher to me, ghost or not.
Yeah because “Freddy” is a guy

You know, I’ve just read

‘“Candyman”

and

“The Texas Chainsaw Massacre”

And realise you kids just don’t get it

I actually don't like the Friday the 13th series. It might have invented many slasher tropes but it's very predictable and not very story based.
Lmao that’s a slasher film bud.

I think I'd probably consider Nightmare a slasher, even if it is not a typical one. The only reason it didn't make my list of atypical slashers though is because I've never thought it was that good *gasp*

At least not Ogroff good, which is definitely probably not a slasher, but is definitely on my list.

There are actually very few slashers.

The prototypes are Friday 13th and Halloween.

The obvious later ones is the scream series and I know what you did last summer

Child’s play is not a slasher for crying out loud.

This thread is unbearable you all born yesterday.

Yeah because “Freddy” is a guy

You know, I’ve just read

‘“Candyman”

and

“The Texas Chainsaw Massacre”

And realise you kids just don’t get it
"You just don't get it because I said so and TCM is more generic."

You only mentioned more typical slashers and failed to realize that any genre has the full freedom to break conventions. And just because. So instead of acting like "I'm the only person who gets it because I make excuses," let's be friendly with each other and talk it over like adults. Also, you're pretty much outvoted by the rest of the world, who, you know, didn't make fun of my just because I called Freddy a slasher or a guy.

I’m off. I actually do want to go into more detail but have you ever tried using this forum on a mobile device.

It’s scarier than a slasher film.

A slasher needs to be a human person, I’m sorry, that’s established and they need to wear a mask.

It’s not a big genre, y’all just saying horror is slasher.

It’s ****ing dumb.

Oh good grief somebody said Terrifier..

I’m about to go and bang my head against a wall.

It’s actually disrespectful to many of these films.

You all just taking the “word” slasher