Favorite Horror Film

Tools    

If I had a steak, I would f**k it!
So, with Halloween rapidly approaching, I thought it would be nice to have a nice little horror movie discussion. (This has probably been done before, but whatev.)

So, leave a response telling me your favorite horror movie, why it's your favorite, and just any other general comments about horror movies.

I think Alfred Hitchcock's Psycho is probably still the best, but if we're going with personal favorites, I would say The Shining. Stanley Kubrick, of course, is a master of the shot. The cinematography is excellent (the shots of Danny riding his tricycle, the feeling of dread you get at the opening credit scene while looking at the mountain). Also, I like that the horrors aren't just there to scare you, but to make a point, which I personally think is something of a rarity in most modern horror movies.

I also have a lot of respect for Wes Craven's Scream, though, because I can't believe a movie managed to blur the lines between actual horror and spoof horror movie so well.

Survivor 5s #2 Bitch
Suspiria

The cinematography, acting, direction, vibrant colours, amazing death sequences, exploration of witches, and the unbeatable soundtrack

I also have a lot of respect for Wes Craven's Scream, though, because I can't believe a movie managed to blur the lines between actual horror and spoof horror movie so well.
Am I the only person who doesn't think/feel that that Scream is a horror spoof at all? In any way?

Survivor 5s #2 Bitch
Am I the only person who doesn't think/feel that that Scream is a horror spoof at all? In any way?
Yeah, this is something I've never quite got either, I mean it references some horror films explicitly and talks about some tropes, but I don't think that makes it a spoof really?

I don't know if anybody was thinking it was a spoof when they made it, but the movie is certainly self-aware and humorous. It is definitely commenting on the slasher genre. Do you think it's a straight up horror movie?

It's a satire about other cliche mainstream horror movie... with number of awesome quotes about other classic and brilliant dialogue. The Best thing about Scream is definitely Matthew Lillard tho... totally hilarious

Favorite horror movie:
The Shining
Sinister
Halloween (1978)
Jeepers Creepers
The Conjuring
Joy Ride (If you consider it a horror... I would)
Psycho (1960)
The Exorcist
Evil Dead (1981)
Evil Dead 2
Let The Right One In
The Descent
The Ring (2002)
Deliver Us From Evil (2014)
The Wicker Man (1973)
Wolf Creek
Scream
A Nightmare On Elm Street (1984)

What do you think of Sinister 2 directed by Ciaran Foy Derek?

I don't know if anybody was thinking it was a spoof when they made it, but the movie is certainly self-aware and humorous. It is definitely commenting on the slasher genre. Do you think it's a straight up horror movie?
Self aware and humourous? Certainly. But that's very different from spoof or straight out comedy. IMO, anyway.

Despite that, if you're completely unaware of the references I think it works well as a straight up horror film.

Self aware and humourous? Certainly. But that's very different from spoof or straight out comedy. IMO, anyway.

Despite that, if you're completely unaware of the references I think it works well as a straight up horror film.
I agree it's not technically a spoof. Scary Movie is a spoof. But it is satirizing the slasher genre, and you'd have to be pretty dense not to get what is going on with scenes like this:

I agree it's not technically a spoof. Scary Movie is a spoof. But it is satirizing the slasher genre, and you'd have to be pretty dense not to get what is going on with scenes like this:

awesome scene !!

this one is also amazing imo

Halloween
Alien
The Texas Chain Saw Massacre
The Evil Dead
The Beyond
Ginger Snaps
Cabin Fever
Scream
The Fly
The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari
The Phantom of the Opera (Lon Chaney)
Black Sunday
Blood Feast
Night of the Living Dead
The Abominable Dr. Phibes
The Bride of Frankenstein
An American Werewolf in London

Halloween
Alien
The Texas Chain Saw Massacre
The Evil Dead
The Beyond
Ginger Snaps
Cabin Fever
Scream
The Fly
The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari
The Phantom of the Opera (Lon Chaney)
Black Sunday
Blood Feast
Night of the Living Dead
The Abominable Dr. Phibes
The Bride of Frankenstein
An American Werewolf in London
You forgot The Devil's Rejects.

28 Days Later
30 Days of Night
Jeepers Kreepers
Hostel
Scream
Alien
Misery
The Babadook
I don't know if I would call this a horror film but still one I watch every Halloween, Coraline.

If I had a steak, I would f**k it!
28 Days Later
30 Days of Night
Jeepers Kreepers
Hostel
Scream
Alien
Misery
The Babadook
I don't know if I would call this a horror film but still one I watch every Halloween, Coraline.
Oh, yeah, I forgot Alien is technically considered a horror film. Good one!

Yeah, Scream is just a regular horror film with funny moments. Kevin Williamson, the writer, has stated that. He was simply trying to make a good scary movie again, like Halloween.

It's spoof in every way, and this is why it's a really poor movie.