Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Ted 2 (2015)

I liked Ted 2 better than the first one, I wasn't a big fan of the first Ted movie, this one was funnier (The Jurassic Park gag had me almost in tears). There were certainly some jokes that didn't hit but I think you'll be pleasingly surprised.

Selma (2014)

I don't know how David Oyelowo didn't get at least nominated for this movie. He was MLK. Unreal performance. All the performances were great. I did reports on MLK in high school and college and studied the Civil Rights but for some reason was not fimilar with the march form Selma. So it was sorta educational too, as much as creative cinema can be (take it with a grain of salt). These movies can be tricky because the rasicm can be over the top and campy. But the director did a great job. It felt real without being cringeworthy. She focuses a lot on MLK and his relationship with his wife which was a good move. Makes him into a person instead of this symbol. Really good writing too. I thought it was great, I think Oyelowo and Duvernay should have been nominated. I don't much buy the they got snubbed for rasict reasons. Snubs happen, just the year before their was like a record of African American winners and nominations. I just think the Academy didn't take to it like they should have for whatever reason. Anyways really good flick.

8 out of 10
I just seen Selma. MLK was an amazing, dynamic, intriguing man...a true legend and a great hero. David Oyelowo didn't capture any of that. He sounded like MLK but never captured the mans passion and spirit. He wasn't nominated because there were many better performances.

The thing isolated becomes incomprehensible
Black Swan (Darren Aronofsky, 2010)

All the talk about Black Swan on my Top 5 Directors thread made me wanna rewatch it, and surprisingly (or not) I liked it even more.
I am not a ballet dancer, but as a singer, I also live to the stage, to that moment of unmeasurable happiness - the perfection. Of course a search like that has to change you, has to make all the rest unimportant and suddenly you and your art are the only things that matter! Wanna know why opera singers or ballet dancers or any performing artist are usually looked at like egocentric divas? Because that's the first defence against the world when you actually live for something like this!
Aronofsky portrays it beautifully: the pressure of dozens of people believing they know better, the exhausting rehearsals, the mad tutors, the parents and friends trying to understand what we think is not understandable... All this exists but it's incredibly exagerated by our own mind: in reality, the people are not that eager to take our place, the tutors only want to help us and our parents and friends understand us more than we think.
I watched this for the first time before knowing what it feels like to have this on my mind, but now, some years later I actually can relate to it!

Black Swan is a hyperbole of the perfoming arts world, a masterpiece by Aronofsky. Of course that when you have Tchaikovsky's music and Mila Kunis (those 2 have to be among my Top 10 of favourite things in the world) it's impossible to make a bad movie! Nevertheless, I bow before you, Darren!

-

I think that remake is better than the original. It's been a long time since I saw the original, though, so maybe my memory is being unkind.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
but as a singer, I also live to the stage
I didn't know you are a singer. Are you a singer/songwriter type? Can I listen to you singing?
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

The thing isolated becomes incomprehensible
I didn't know you are a singer. Are you a singer/songwriter type? Can I listen to you singing?
i'm an opera singer
I'll make a nice recording and I'll upload it in the voice thread, one of these days!

Face/Off (1997)

After watching The Rock recently, what would be more perfect than to continue down the road of 90s action at its best? Another one of my all time favorite action films, filled with plenty of shoot outs and explosions, slow-mo scenes, bullet-time and doves - all so John Woo-ish - you get exactly what you ask for here! And then it's Travolta and Cage in the lead roles! It doesn't get more 90s than this!

++

Woo's Hong Kong films are sooo much better, but this scene has to be the best of his career:

Master of My Domain
Nekromantik (1987)

Absolute Z-grade necrophilia crap, but better than expected. I liked the ending.

-

Nekromantik (1987)

Absolute Z-grade necrophilia crap, but better than expected. I liked the ending.

-
Minus rep.

You gotta star rate it and be honest. Don't let the gore fiends intimidate you.
Who'd be intimidated by MovieGal?

Who'd be intimidated by MovieGal?
I would say fair point but she will come in here and call me out because her little cygnet never says anything wrong.

I have to return some videotapes.
Face/Off (1997)

After watching The Rock recently, what would be more perfect than to continue down the road of 90s action at its best? Another one of my all time favorite action films, filled with plenty of shoot outs and explosions, slow-mo scenes, bullet-time and doves - all so John Woo-ish - you get exactly what you ask for here! And then it's Travolta and Cage in the lead roles! It doesn't get more 90s than this!

++

You should like what I added to my blu-rays then

Woo's Hong Kong films are sooo much better
Maybe so, but I have yet to dive into his Hong Kong back catalogue. I have only seen Hard-Boiled and that one left me unsatisfied despite of its reputation. The Killer is one my watchlist. Anything else you would recommend?

I would say fair point but she will come in here and call me out because her little cygnet never says anything wrong.
She hates being teased. That's why I do it.

I just seen Selma. MLK was an amazing, dynamic, intriguing man...a true legend and a great hero. David Oyelowo didn't capture any of that. He sounded like MLK but never captured the mans passion and spirit. He wasn't nominated because there were many better performances.
Seems like your beef is more with the writing then with his performance. I thought his speeches were passionate and beautifully done. The writing of the character was trying to dive into his personal life a bit more which I found more interesting. So he was probably more laid back because it was his personal life. I still think he was passionate when he had to be.

I'm ok with him not getting nominated but I think it was worthy.

101 Favorite Movies (2019)