Matrix Revolutions

→ in
Tools    

I just seen the first showing of the release of Matrix Revolutions. And I think that it could be the best movie I have ever seen. I am not gonna say anything to spoil it. Though I just wanna say, go see this movie. It was the better than I had ever imagined.

Also Matrix was released all over the world at the same time, as to keep spoilers from coming out to soon. And I am glad to say I was in the first showing with everyone and I got lucky and it was not even that busy.

The first 90%, indeed, was spectacular. With a few implausible exceptions, it was enthralling, engaging, and exciting. The last 15 minutes or so, however, were damned ridiculous.

I see no plausible explanation for most of the things which took place near the end (and, in some cases, earlier in the film as well). Unless you've found a way to reconcile the seemingly impossible events which take place throughout -- the climax, especially -- then I have to conclude that your praise is based on the quality of the action and effects (both top of the line), rather than the story.

And, let's face it, without a story, and adequate explanations, we're just watching an expensive (and admittedly impressive) animation test.

Tell me if this true, then I will know everything that happens in "Matrix Revolutions" - just give me a nod:

WARNING: "The Matrix Revolutions" spoilers below
The boy that kept following Neo around in Reloaded is "the one" and he dies and becomes the new Architect.

In Soviet America, you sue MPAA!
Anyone who doesn't think that the Zion invasion scene wasn't the most engaging scene of any movie in the past 20 years is crazy in my opinion.

How ****ing great was that scene? I can't think of ANY movie of the past 20 years that has sucked me in like that scene did. It was so unbelievably, to steal an over-used adjective, epic and well done. I was glued to it. I couldn't have left that scene if Britney Spears and Jessica Simpson were going at it behind me.

That segment rivals the passion and intensity of any of the scenes in any of the Star Wars triology. I couldn't believe how god damn good that scene was. I wasn't expecting it at all.

As for the last 15 minutes...what exactly were your problems with it Chris? I thought it did an acceptable job overall.

WARNING: "THE Matrix Revolutions" spoilers below
The only thing I didn't get was when the Oracle asked the little girl if she did this, and she said "yes, for neo". Any idea as to what the signfigance of that was?

The boy that kept following Neo around in Reloaded is "the one" and he dies and becomes the new Architect.
I don't think so. I sort of thought that he could be the new "the one"....that was just a thought that popped in my head

I was thinking about it. I have a theory about the little girl that I sort of just came up with, but I came into a snag. Did the trainman take things OUT of the matrix, or INTO the matrix?

okay here we go:

Okay. So the Trainman takes things "out" of the matrix. When he does this, he removes their...visibility...from the matrix. So basically the Matrix doesn't know that, in her case, she has no purpose because the matrix can't tell that she is useless any longer. So she gets sent to the oracle with all the other "backdoor" programs.

The father told Neo that she was "the most beautiful thing he had ever seen". So her program function was essentially beauty. (It makes sense that a program and a program would create another program, right). They had talked to the oracle before asking the Mervognian if they could use the Trainman's services. The oracle told them that Agent Smith was going to take down the matrix (she knew he was getting so powerful). If she knew, the matrix knew (confirmed by the giant face's willingness to reinsert Neo into the matrix). This means the matrix would no longer, because of it's impending doom, need the girl (the matrix wouldn't need something that just created beauty) and thus delete it. Only thing is, the oracle, and the matrix, were wrong and the matrix was not destroyed (thanks to Neo's sacrifice)...so on lives the girl. She still exists in the "new" matrix and she creates the beautiful sunrise to commemorate Neo.

Now the important thing. Sucks for Zion. Aren't they just a little bit trapped under everything they blew up to keep the Sentinels out? Bummer.

Originally Posted by OG-
Anyone who doesn't think that the Zion invasion scene wasn't the most engaging scene of any movie in the past 20 years is crazy in my opinion.

How ****ing great was that scene? I can't think of ANY movie of the past 20 years that has sucked me in like that scene did. It was so unbelievably, to steal an over-used adjective, epic and well done. I was glued to it. I couldn't have left that scene if Britney Spears and Jessica Simpson were going at it behind me.
There are a lot of movies you haven't seen in the past 20 years.

Originally Posted by OG-
As for the last 15 minutes...what exactly were your problems with it Chris? I thought it did an acceptable job overall.
Nothing made any damn sense. How could he see things after he lost his eyesight? How could he wield Matrix-like power in the real world? Why did light come out of his physical body at the end? How did Smith die?

The film answers every single one of these questions thusly: Neo is "The One."

I can accept that answer now and then, but the Wachowskis played it constantly, like a tattered ace. They used it to tie up virtually every loose end. I was prepared to accept a lot of fairly silly conclusions (like the idea that man and machine had somehow become one in the cases of Neo and Smith), but this was just ridiculous.

I mean, c'mon. He loses the fight to Smith, gets assimilated, then the machines jump-start his body, light comes out, and Smith blows up. Eh? Did I miss something? I suppose, if I had to guess, I would guess that Neo, given his connection to Smith (which also is left fairly ambiguous), he served as some sort of adapter...but that still doesn't explain just what the machines did to destory Smith. And what of the Oracle being "inside" him?

The ending wouldn't have been so disappointing had the rest of the film not been so well-crafted. The train sequence early on comes to mind. And you're right, the defense of Zion was nothing short of epic, and definitely ought to be mentioned amongst the likes of the Enterprise and Endor, but a bad ending has the potential to taint what comes before it...especially when moviegoers have had to wait through six hours of cinema (spanning four years) to get to that ending.

Originally Posted by OG-
Name one, and I'm talking action movies, that drew you in more than that one did? Or even as CLOSE as that did.
I think Jurassic Park came close, at the very least. And Star Wars: Episode VI - Return of the Jedi came out in 1983, and I think that would qualify, too.

Regardless, yes, it was a brilliant scene.

Originally Posted by Yoda

I mean, c'mon. He loses the fight to Smith, gets assimilated, then the machines jump-start his body, light comes out, and Smith blows up. Eh? Did I miss something? I suppose, if I had to guess, I would guess that Neo, given his connection to Smith (which also is left fairly ambiguous), he served as some sort of adapter...but that still doesn't explain just what the machines did to destory Smith. And what of the Oracle being "inside" him?
Here's how I saw it. As stated in Reloaded, the begining of the Burly Brawl, all the Agent Smiths were the same. They were all connected. Essentially they were one, just spread really far out. This idea is never broken throughout the rest of the movies. You can see it when a different avatar of Smith finishes the sentence or thought of another Smith. So, they're all connected. Neo gets assimilated, and another Smith is made. At that point, Neo's mental projection (as described in the first movie) is no longer him, but it is Smith. He's stolen it. He controls it now. Neo's mind has become his mind. But there is still a life force in the real world that is controlling the mental projection.

I didn't see what the big face did as a jump-start, I saw it as a deathblow. The face finished neo off. It extinguished any life left in him. He died. As stated in the first movie, and shown in every other movie. You die in the matrix, you die in the real world. You die in the real world, you die in the matrix. The face kills Neo, and thus kills Agent Smith. But since ALL the agent smiths shared the same connection, they were all killed.

Basically, Smith ****ed up. He paniced. Instead of just killing Neo like he saw in the vision when he assimilated the oracle, he got afraid, paniced, and assimilated him. By doing that, he screwed himself.

Also, I didn't realize that Return of the Jedi was 83, so change my statement to the last 19 years. I choose 20 for the sole purpose of not saying it was indeed better than some of the scenes in Star Wars. It does rival those, however. Time will only tell if it beats them.

I defended Reloaded to an extent. I can see no way that I can possibly defend this one. Gah.

Do you know my poetry?
I just came back from seeing The Matrix Revolutions and gotta say it was fantastic, some surprises and great action scenes, especially the war scene of the humas vs the machines.I did have some minor problems with the movie, but overall, it was just excellent.

Hi
Anyone else get the feeling they understood everything about the ending but also know nothing about it at the same time?

I guess I'm just screwed up then..I need sleep..

*sigh*

i guess i kinda expected everyone on here to rip this movie apart so i'm not that surprised.

i thought it was a very logical and terrific ending and i enjoyed the movie very much....

but - i suppose there was no possible way that this movie could have disappointed me because i love this series so much...so i'm probably biased.

anyway... to all the people that hated this movie - good luck with the LOTR finale...hope that trilogy turns out well for you at least

I was utterly obssesed and consumed by all the possibilities that Reloaded presented, so I was semi let down by Revolutions.

I was talking to Chris earlier on aim about it. I was expecting it to be much more profound. I was hoping for it to be huge and knock me down, but it only turned out being a gentle breeze...I couldn't complain. It felt good.

I'd think of it this way. The predecessors were setting us all up for what could have been a flood. It could have swept us all away. It could have been so deep that we all would have been taken in by it. And I'm sure that is probably how the Wachowski's wanted it to be. But the flood had to go through a few filters and sponges (we all know the movie industry) before it got to us. When it did it wasn't the flood it could have been, just a misty drizzle.

Originally Posted by OG-
Name one, and I'm talking action movies, that drew you in more than that one did? Or even as CLOSE as that did.
The Thin Red Line. Mission to Mars/ I can name movies all day if you'd like.

Sometimes a degree of subtlety is a good thing for an action flick...but considering the pseudo-philosophical pretentious bull**** of the Wachowskis, I don't expect Revolutions to be any more mysterious than its awful predecessors. The Matrix is the ultimate rich stoner kid movie, something to discuss while toking hydro in your best friend's basement. The action isn't original. The story is much more pretentious than it needs to be, and is a lot less clever than the filmmakers think it is. And its unpaid debt to real action cinema is a perfect example of American studios knowing the words, and not the music, to the current Japanese ballets of violence. They rip these movies off shamelessly and pass it off as original cinema. It's awful.

i have many issues with this series... and let me say first of all and foremost i was totally dissapointed. here are some of my complaints... and please ponder these before you die-hard fans tear me a new one...

1. the second movie was nothing but spacefiller in my mind... think about it... take the second movie... maybe take the few small bits from it that were relavant, and add them to the beginning third and the 2nd is pointless eyecandy.

2. the overall ending of the series is a bit too vague and a total let down. nuff said.

3. YES... the effects and cinematography were superb, but can anyone say "polished turd"? some of the worst films of all time were visually appealing... aka the last installments of the batman franchise... need i say more. effects and action should NEVER come into play... story is all that matters..

this list could go on forever in my eyes... and i could get into more detail, but i hate spoilers... in any way, shape, or form, so i will say no more... except i honestly feel that the wachowski brothers wanted to make the star wars of our generation... only problem... they had a cool idea... they just couldn't pull it off... they tried to hard...and they took a simple, but sweet concept and made it something it should have never been... and i'd be willing to bet money before they even finished writing the first movie the word "trilogy" came out a lot... bottom line... all the movies after the original are third rate... and this is no starwars.

Got a review up:

The Matrix Reviewlutions
No more hiding behind the hype. At long last, The Matrix Revolutions stands naked before crtical eyes. Find out if a revolution, or a convolution, awaits you at your local multiplex ...MORE

Originally Posted by OG-
Here's how I saw it. As stated in Reloaded, the begining of the Burly Brawl, all the Agent Smiths were the same. They were all connected. Essentially they were one, just spread really far out. This idea is never broken throughout the rest of the movies. You can see it when a different avatar of Smith finishes the sentence or thought of another Smith. So, they're all connected. Neo gets assimilated, and another Smith is made. At that point, Neo's mental projection (as described in the first movie) is no longer him, but it is Smith. He's stolen it. He controls it now. Neo's mind has become his mind. But there is still a life force in the real world that is controlling the mental projection.

I didn't see what the big face did as a jump-start, I saw it as a deathblow. The face finished neo off. It extinguished any life left in him. He died. As stated in the first movie, and shown in every other movie. You die in the matrix, you die in the real world. You die in the real world, you die in the matrix. The face kills Neo, and thus kills Agent Smith. But since ALL the agent smiths shared the same connection, they were all killed.

Basically, Smith ****ed up. He paniced. Instead of just killing Neo like he saw in the vision when he assimilated the oracle, he got afraid, paniced, and assimilated him. By doing that, he screwed himself.
That, admittedly, makes some sense, though if that was what the Wachowski brothers intended, they did a poor job of executing it. Neither I nor any of the people I saw the movie with saw the machine as purposely killing Neo in order to kill Smith.

Regardless, even conceding that point would still leave us with Neo's mostly unexplained ability to manipulate the real world as if it were the Matrix. All I heard in the way of an explanation was something about having a connection to the source, which really didn't tell us anything new. We all knew there was some kind of connection...this movie was supposed to explain why.

The ability to "see" things despite losing his eyesight is an extension of the above, but is even less believable than this vague connection with the machine world. We'd have to stretch like mad to reconcile all this within the framework the first two flims gave us.