‘Mandy’ Disqualified From the Oscars

Tools    

The small but passionate campaign to get composer Jóhann Jóhannsson a final Oscar now has come to an end.

Someone lost the "creativity" invite again. I'm not even going to comment Jóhann Jóhannsson, his melancholy tones will never be compared to no one else, in my opinion.

Good films by real filmmakers aren't made to be decoded, consumed or instantly comprehended. They're not even made to be instantly liked. They're just made, because the person behind the camera had to make them. Martin Scorsese

That's an awesome quote.

It's a bummer. Mandy was one of the most fascinating scores by a great late contemporary composer. Why was it disqualified?

That's an awesome quote.

It's a bummer. Mandy was one of the most fascinating scores by a great late contemporary composer. Why was it disqualified?
Could be because of this

Variety reported earlier this week “Mandy” was disqualified from the Oscars because “it was released on VOD before it completed its qualifying run.” When asked to elaborate on the disqualification, a representative for the film told IndieWire a “qualifying run” means the film is released for one week in Los Angeles with a minimum of three screenings per day. “Mandy” became available on VOD before the completion of its one-week run and was deemed ineligible as a result.

Originally Posted by Iroquois
To be fair, you have to have a fairly high IQ to understand MovieForums.com.

I'm not even mad about Mandy, because I think I'm on the same tune with the director, Panos Cosmatos. He said recently: This is very surprising to me, I suspected the movie would find an audience, but that it would be a lot smaller. I hoped when I made the movie that it was speaking to an audience that wasn't being spoken to, and I wonder if that’s what’s happened here...

Now my honest and strange opinion: I would be sad if Mandy won the Oscar... there I said it. People's taste nowadays makes me sick, honestly, the Hollywood industry is a big joke and imagining everyone praising Mandy is a bad image in my head. A good movie nowadays must have people hating it and other's loving it.

This might just do nobody any good.
A good movie nowadays must have people hating it and other's loving it.
Lots of good movies out these days then.

Lots of good movies out these days then.
If I ever share this people's taste, please shoot me:

1 Avengers: Infinity War $2,048,815,482
2 Black Panther $1,347,071,259
3 Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom $1,304,866,322
4 Incredibles 2 $1,241,481,744
5 Venom $853,578,178
6 Mission: Impossible—Fallout $787,497,517
7 Deadpool 2 $735,833,521
8 Ant-Man and the Wasp $621,956,028
9 Bohemian Rhapsody $600,490,200
10 Ready Player One $578,621,729
11 Hong Hai Xing Dong $578,190,751
12 Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald $573,100,313
13 Tang Ren Jie Tan An 2 $544,068,574
14 Hotel Transylvania 3: Summer Vacation $528,063,052
15 The Meg $527,170,888
16 Wo Bi Shi Yao Shen $451,176,640
17 Rampage $426,412,095
18 Solo: A Star Wars Story $393,167,512
19 Mamma Mia: Here We Go Again! $391,776,968
20 A Star is Born $371,898,814

A Portuguese writer, António de Lobo Antunes once said: It's extraordinary how we like to eat **** as long as it's sugared, it's extraordinary to browse the bestseller list in bookstores.

Welcome to the human race...
So it's a shame that Mandy was ineligible for Oscars, but it would also be a shame if it won. Got it.

So it's a shame that Mandy was ineligible for Oscars, but it would also be a shame if it won. Got it.
Who said it was a shame? I didn't, at least I think, but going forward I do think is a shame because is a great, creative, interesting movie, but that's why I quoted Scorsese to express why it would be a shame if Mandy won, because It would be a shame if those box-office viewers and the current industry position & philosophy on making movies could see how good Mandy was. There are not many directors making movies for themselves anymore, even less in the United States, I praise one when I see it, even if I dislike the movie, was not the case.

These days I think that it’s good to be rich because you are not going to make any money making personal films. (Laughs) Nobody will go see them. If you want to make money in the movie business you have to make the kind of movies that the biggest audience wants to see, a film that’s like some other movies they've seen. That's why they make so many sequels. For them to create one movie is a risk and they don’t like risks. No business does. Francis Ford Coppola

_____ is the most important thing in my life…
I don't see any difference between Mandy and The Favourite . Both are great movies, both aren't for everybody. Seems to be too much raindrop dancing with the inclusion/exclusion argument.