Christopher Nolan
41.89%
31 votes
Darren Aronofsky
4.05%
3 votes
They both suck!
74 votes. You may not vote on this poll

I think it would be fair to compare them. They've made about the same amount of films, are the same age and have dealt with similar themes. I'd like to see people's opinions on this.

Welcome to the human race...
Hmm, true. I'm not particularly fussed about either director, but if push came to shove I'd probably pick Nolan. Aronofsky does some interesting stuff visually, but his films all tend to feature the same sort of themes without significant variation (it seems like every film he does has the same basic narrative, with the possible exception of The Fountain). Nolan tackles a few different narratives with overlapping themes but at least each film goes in a different direction (the ones I've seen at least).

By grade:

Aronofsky
Pi, C+
Requiem for a Dream, C+
The Fountain, B
The Wrestler, B
Black Swan, B-

Nolan
Memento, A-
Batman Begins, B
The Prestige, B
The Dark Knight, B
Inception, B

Aronofsky

Pi

Requiem for a Dream

The Fountain

The Wrestler

Black Swan

Nolan

Following

Memento

Insomnia

Batman Begins

The Prestige

The Dark Knight

Inception

I don't care how much of a fanboy I look like, but Nolan. More consistently entertaining, tighter plotting. Kudos to Aronofsky on degree of difficulty and all that, but his failures are a lot bigger as a result. I get more excited about a Nolan film because I know there's almost no chance I'm not going to enjoy it thoroughly.

In the Beginning...
Nolan looks like he might be a more consistent fighter, but Aronofsky's got height on him and those dark beady eyes just scream, "I brawl till I'm burger."

Wait, what was the question?

i'm SUPER GOOD at Jewel karaoke
well, thisisthething. The Wrestler is definitely my favorite film out of all that either director has done. in fact, i'd say The Wrestler is probably in my top 20 of all time. but, Nolan is definitely more consistently good.

I don't care how much of a fanboy I look like, but Nolan. More consistently entertaining, tighter plotting. Kudos to Aronofsky on degree of difficulty and all that, but his failures are a lot bigger as a result. I get more excited about a Nolan film because I know there's almost no chance I'm not going to enjoy it thoroughly.
That's not a sign of a fanboy, this is the truth.
Always fun to look forward to a Nolan film, definitely guaranteed fresh entertainment. He always has surprising new themes & characters.

Nolan has taken Box-office entertainment to a whole new level.

Even though I love Aronofsky over Nolan, There would be no regrets if Nolan wins.
These 2 have yet to disappoint me.
I had hopes on Michael Gondry as well but then he made Green Hornet.

I think Aronofsky gets better with each film, though I too rate The Wrestler as his finest with Black Swan 2nd and Pi third. His other work I find pretty uninteresting and even though The Fountain had some interesting ideas, the limited budget hurt it in the end.

Nolan looks like he might be a more consistent fighter, but Aronofsky's got height on him and those dark beady eyes just scream, "I brawl till I'm burger."

Wait, what was the question?

Aronofsky

Pi

Requiem for a Dream

The Fountain

The Wrestler

Black Swan

Nolan

Following

Memento

Insomnia

Batman Begins

The Prestige

The Dark Knight

Inception

Wow what film's actually get a good rating from you.

Aronofsky seem more experimental to me. Nolan is more hollywood mainstream.
#31 on SC's Top 100 Mofos list!!