When is DVD going to die?

Tools    

He's called Tequila. He's a tough cop.
When do you guys think the beloved DVD will die and all you can get are blue-rays? That'll be a sad day

Ask me a question, any question: Grill a MoFo: Dill-Man

Next Wednesday at about 3:30 in the afternoon.

No matter what this next format is, I'm sure the first few generations of players will be backward-compliant, meaning you can watch your plain ol' DVDs anyway. But as somebody who still loves his LaserDisc collection, I'm not going to mourn DVDs nearly the same way. Not even close, really.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Next Wednesday at about 3:30 in the afternoon......

Seriously though, DVDs are still a very popular thing. Unless every single damn title ever known to man kind is available on Blu-ray (which would take too long), Blu-Rays went down to a price everyone would want to pay, and you could record your home movies and etc from video onto Blu-Ray and etc....then DVD would be extinct.

Though that's just all IMO.

It's gonna be a long time before everyone is willing to upgrade to blu-ray. IMO once the prices of the PLAYERS, not the discs but the PLAYERS goes down then more people will upgrade. I mean come on 600 bucks for a player when you can get a good DVD player for 100?

Lost in never never land
I agree with Cygnus, it is going to be a pretty long time before the change occurs. There are several reasons, but money/cost is definitely a big one. People generally aren't willing to spend $600 on a player. Add in the fact that the format didn't make a major change, it is still disk, as compared to DVD and VHS, people are the less likely to make the change. Another thing that will help though is when the U.S. goes to a completely digita signal for TV, as then people will be able to see an upgrade from a DVD to Blu-Ray disk. Right now on a typical CRT TV, which is most likely 3-4 years old, the TV is lousy enough that hte difference in image won't be noticed at all.
I wish, I wish he'd go away."
-From Identity

It's gonna be a long time before everyone is willing to upgrade to blu-ray. IMO once the prices of the PLAYERS, not the discs but the PLAYERS goes down then more people will upgrade. I mean come on 600 bucks for a player when you can get a good DVD player for 100?
When the players come out they wont be $600. That's just what they are saying. Tha Panasonic (the first standalone Blu-ray player to come out with BD Live 2.0) will be out for $499. Though I chaqnged my mind to wait till the end of the year to get a player.

A system of cells interlinked
I see people mentioning the players a lot, but, until each and every household has a hi-def DISPLAY, I don't think we have to worry. Current CRT televisions that aren't Hi-Def have a maximum resolution of 512x512, and nothing will change that aspect. Putting Blu-Ray player on a display like that doesn't all of a sudden mean you are HD ready...

I'm going to be upset if (or when) dvds die. I have spent alot of money on my collection and am pretty proud of it and I will not replace all of them with blu ray. The change doesn't justify all the money needed to be spent.

I'm hoping it'll happen right around the time I start making money

I'd say we have some time to go, but it's running out. It took a while for the DVDs to come in and sweep the poor VCR obselete, and there's still those of us who keep ours though the upgrades and advantages that come with DVDs are hard not to need.They'll be kept for longer I'd say, but it's just like HDTV which threatens even the most conventional of TV watching, pretty soon they'll fall with the wind, let's hope they make them more affordable to everyone by the time they end stockng DVDs and they become stuffed in second hand movie stores like the video cassette.

I still own many VHS tapes. It still hasn't died for me and with the cost of VHS's at flea markets and thrift stores I can easily watch movies for cheaper than throwing 20 bucks out for a DVD. Though I'm not too big on special features and unless it's a movie I completely love or unable to watch on T.V. I have a hard time spending cash on DVD's. As far as how long DVD's will last no one can be sure. For the time being I can see people still purchasing DVD's for at least another two years and the catalogue of movies on DVD are going to be hard to keep up on(I can see some films being left in the DVD era for a lack of sales.). For the time being it's too large an investment especially in America's crippling economy and the library of films is still way too small for Blu-Ray to become commonplace.

.....doesn't know what to put here!
i think in about 2 years they'll decline slowly and slowly

and slowly I'll be updating quicker this time though, it took my family until 2004 to switch to DVD lol (and we've still got a cupboard of VHS still lol)

Blu-Rays went down to a price everyone would want to pay

Haahahahaahah

went down!?!!?!?Are you crazy a Blu Ray Disc is still too expensive a single blu ray costs me 1/6 of my monthly salary for that much money I can buy up to 5 DVD's or even more it depends on the release plus there is no competition only Sony is releasing Blu ray at the moment when other companies produce players like Samsung,Panasonic etc. maybe then the prices will go down and around here there is only one Blue Ray player that looks like a VCR fat and ugly.I would,'t replace my slim sweet 1000W Home theater system for anything so at the moment the Blu Ray can suck my(well you know what)
I'll give the DVD another 5-10 years

BLURRRR RAY!!

Some BLu-Ray dvds have gone down to 19.99 that i saw in Best Buy Adds. THe new releases tho i usually see around 29.99 to 34.99.

Haahahahaahah

went down!?!!?!?Are you crazy a Blu Ray Disc is still too expensive a single blu ray costs me 1/6 of my monthly salary for that much money I can buy up to 5 DVD's or even more it depends on the release plus there is no competition only Sony is releasing Blu ray at the moment when other companies produce players like Samsung,Panasonic etc. maybe then the prices will go down and around here there is only one Blue Ray player that looks like a VCR fat and ugly.I would,'t replace my slim sweet 1000W Home theater system for anything so at the moment the Blu Ray can suck my(well you know what)
I'll give the DVD another 5-10 years
You misquoted and misunderstood me out of context. Re-read my post.

I feel like it's happening way too fast now. Everytime I watch a new DVD now it begins with an ad for Blu-Ray.

Surely, though, regular DVDs will stick around... I can't imagine everything that's out there now being transferred to Blu-Ray... although maybe I'm lacking in imagination power.

I like high definition, though. I have one of those upconverters to make my DVDs look high definition, though I wanna get a Blu-Ray player eventually, since it's apparently the winner in the HD race.

When the players come out they wont be $600. That's just what they are saying. Tha Panasonic (the first standalone Blu-ray player to come out with BD Live 2.0) will be out for $499. Though I chaqnged my mind to wait till the end of the year to get a player.
When the players come out? There are many players out...but to get a good one that also plays regular dvds its around 500 - 600 bucks. Now compare that to getting all the same movies on DVD (which is cheaper) and getting say maybe 3 DVD players for more then 1 TV for the price of 1 blu ray player. Now i have a blu-ray player and i for one love it with my hi def tv, the picture is brilliant, but for some people they dont notice the picture difference enough for it to matter whether the movie is on dvd or blu ray. My mother for example doesnt really notice the difference, while i can really spot it. It all depends on the person.

Both that and the price are the two major factors i think. DVD + DVD PLAYER = CHEAPER THAN BLU RAY AND BLU RAY PLAYER, and when you factor in that majority of the people dont notice the quality difference, more people will stick with DVD.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
There is certainly a quality difference, but I don't really want movies to completely turn into video games. I enjoy the clarity of sound and picture all these technologies bring, but I love film. I still take photos with a 35mm SLR film camera. It's just different. It's kinda like the CD vs Vinyl argument, but I find film (and vinyl) warmer, so the further I get away from film, the more I feel like like I'm growing colder.