Plainview's Top 50 films

→ in
Tools    

1. There Will Be Blood (2007)
Director: Paul Thomas Anderson

There Will Be Blood is an amazing film about a ruthless greedy oil prospector by the name of Daniel Plainview (Daniel Day Lewis). Plainview will do anything in his power to see his competitors fail. Plainview soon finds out of an oil rich part of California that can be purchased extremely cheap from the naive land owners. He promises the landowners schools and a booming economy in exchange. Soon Plainview amasses a fortune of money and power and begins to cut himself off from the people in his life and the rest of the world.

Paul Dano played two roles in the film one being a short role of Paul Sunday and the other as Eli Sunday the crazy hyper local church pastor. Dano did an amazing job as Eli Sunday and I would list his performance as second best in the film.

Take a good look above because Daniel Day Lewis in the role of Daniel Plainview in my opinion is the greatest acting of all time. Lewis is stellar in the film playing a range of evil, a warmer side and completely insane as the overdriven Plainview. I believe no one could match this performance. The man turns it on and off at the blink of an eye. This performance made this film a number one pic for me.

The Cinematography is amazing in the film. You really believe your in the early 1900's. The sets, scenery and costumes seem so accurate and the dialouge seems perfect for the era.

Jonny Greenwoods musical score in the film creates a dark atmosphere is absolutely amazing and fits the film perfectly.

Paul Thomas Anderson has created this little world Plainview has lived with near perfection. The camera shots for example when Plainview watches the well burn out are what makes this film a Best Picture nominee and what should have been a win over No Country For Old Men (a great film as well). He created such a dark atmosphere in the film, a perfect match for the dark soul of Daniel Plainview.

I could write about this film all day if I wanted but I wont. I will say that the way Plainview inserts himself into the landowners lives as a caring family man using his adopted son as a prop is cinematic brilliance. The way He turns on the people in his life and swims in his greed is beautiful writing. This film is an eye stunner and has the story to go with it. If you have not seen this film this would be my first recommendation. Check it out and please post what you think.

A modern classic. Critics beware. 20 years from now you will start worshipping it. As well as other movies from the last decade such as Mulholland Drive, Wall-e and Dancer in the dark. (just to name a few out of so many good stuff released in the 00s.)

Meh. This list was okay, I guess.
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

Miss Vicky's Loyal and Willing Slave
So this There Will Be Blood, worth seeing then?

Anyway really nice list, looking back through quickly and I think there are at least 10 films that are on or are going to be on my list. There are also lots and lots of films that I still need to try and see sometime

Yep, I agree 100% with everything you said about TWBB. I loved everything about it - the performances, especially Day-Lewis, who was out of this world, the setting, the story, the music - everything. It's paced slowly, which is perfect because it really helps you get invested in the characters and their stories.

WARNING: "Possible minor spoilers" spoilers below
I always like to single out a particular scene I just adore - the explosion in which H.W. loses his hearing. It is so wonderfully shot, intense, and the way it plays out with Daniel leaving his son to take care of his business really marked a turning point in his character, for me. We see the beginnings of the greed and selfishness that ultimately engulfed him. "There's a whole ocean of oil under our feet, and nobody can get at it except for me." Perfect.

So this There Will Be Blood, worth seeing then?

Anyway really nice list, looking back through quickly and I think there are at least 10 films that are on or are going to be on my list. There are also lots and lots of films that I still need to try and see sometime
Definitely a must see