Underrated/overrated

Tools    

Underrated: Ang Lee's Hulk
I agree. I liked it a lot. It was like a greek myth, scheming gods, tragedy, ect. More cerebral than most people wanted, it seems. Alas...
#31 on SC's Top 100 Mofos list!!

Overrated: Gladiator (sorry Miss Vicky)
Certainly that's not the most outlandish film you can think of.

Certainly that's not the most outlandish film you can think of.
Of course not, it was just the first one that came to mind. Let's face it, I could ruin this thread for everyone.

I am, but not enough to not say it.

Overrated - Avatar (special effects are good, that's it)

Underrated - 2 of these movies got good reviews but i'm 14 and I get made fun of for liking these! So more teenagers need to watch these ones!

-Coraline
-Nightmare Before Christmas
-Man on Fire
-Push

Don't know about the others but I love this movie.
I agree, it got good reviews, but many kids at my school, hated it. It's one of my favorite films ever!

I agree, it got good reviews, but many kids at my school, hated it. It's one of my favorite films ever!
Just ignore them, they're unimaginative ********, like some of the trolls hanging round here.

Underrated: 'Army Of Darkness' - Almost everyone I know despises this film and when I am online - facebook or whatever - crap, crap, crap... its only sites with real movie fans like this when its appreciated somewhat.
I always, always viewed it as one version of what happened.
Its Ash telling the story - its his version of what has happened. At the end when he finishes up the story to Ted Raimi I immediately understood that. Hence, its cheesy, heroic and self gratifying. Lots of swashbuckling. Its his version. What I want to see now is what actually happened... theres an idea for a film there... LOL

Overrated: 'The Spirit' - One film I got hasseled about watching. The cult film fans I know raved about it and comic book nerds did too....hyeh, well. It has no idea what it is - a comedy? a super hero film? its messy and doesn't gel those two concepts either. Strange - tries to be cultish, unique and acted uninterestingly...not my cup of tea. The look and style works, but its a mess otherwise IMO.

Underrated:

Fearless

This powerful drama has amazing performances and a profound, heartwrenching story that culminates in one of the most moving endings I have ever seen.

Underrated:

Fearless
Agreed.
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

If you want to achieve greatness, stop asking for permission
Overrated: "The Town"
It still baffles me that this movie received such high praise. It was average at best. The only performance that stood out was Jeremy Renner's. It was a generic crime-thriller, completely forgettable.

Underrated: "Equilibrium"
A well-done '1984'-esque movie with some of the best action scenes of all time. Christian Bale and Sean Bean?! Sign me up!

Underrated: "Equilibrium"
A well-done '184'-esque movie with some of the best action scenes of all time. Christian Bale and Sean Bean?! Sign me up!
I concur. Plus a dude gets his face cut off!

"A film is a putrified fountain of thought"
So i know we were suppose to just have one for each but yea...i got carried away.

Publicly Overrated- The Dark Night
Personally I think that if Heath Ledger hadn't given such a fantastic performance nobody would've cared about this movie. It was entertaining but I really don't get why it crazed our nation...

Runnerup: Avatar

Critically Overrated-Citizen Kane
I think it's a good film. It's definitely visually interesting and it deserves credit for the undeniable impact it had on cinema. However in my opinion it's script was lacking and it's quite undeserving of it's "best film of all time" reputation.

Runnerup: West Side Story

Publicly Underrated-11:14
This movie is SO entertaining in both a fun and intelligent way. It has a genius script, underrated but great cast, and in my opinion it's just a really well made film. If you like Go you might want to check it out, it has kind of a similar energy. Unfortunately the film's publicity was basically nonexistant so very few people have seen it.

Runnerups- The Nines, Westworld

Critically Underrated-The Cell
For me, this film was way beyond the B horror film wrap that it got. Tarsem Singh took what could have been another crappy serial killer movie and turned it into a really beautiful film. Wonderful visuals, interesting and imaginative genre blending, good chemistry and solid character development...what more do you need? I felt like it was unfairly recieved by critics, I read a couple of reviews on rotton tomatoes and found that critics kept comparing this to Silence of the Lambs?? Besides the fact that they're both psychological and involve serial killers I really didn't see the connection.

Runnerups- Vanilla Sky, Death Becomes Her