The MoFo Top 100 of the 2010s Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Victim of The Night
My first prediction:

49 - Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice
If this movie makes the Top-50 I will vomit all over this mother. Y'all are warned.

51 straight misses.

These two are both fine, never had much interest in revisiting.

Victim of The Night
My list so far:

1. Black Swan (50... you gotta be f'ing kidding me)
10. The Cabin In The Woods (88)
(11.) Ex Machina (Would have been my No.11 if I hadn't forgotten it)
11. Scott Pilgrim vs. The World (72)
25. Zero Dark Thirty (would have been bumped off the list by Ex Machina)

I feel like I don't belong here.

Finally! Another two-fer I DID see.

Loved Black Swan. This thematic predecessor to Perfect Blue lives up to the original's legend, save the wonky camera work which I thought was slightly annoying. Black Swan was my number 22. Ex-Machina was a great sci-fi movie without getting TOO sci-fi and keeping the themes strong, even though it was a little slow.

Old Ballot:
4. Endgame
8. A Separation
15. Gone Girl
18. Inside Out
22. Black Swan

New Ballot:
4. Endgame
8. A Separation
15. Gone Girl
16. The Shape of Water
19. Inside Out
23. Black Swan

Seen 29/52

It's been three days in a row now where I've seen one of the films revealed, but not the other haha.

When I first saw Ex Machina, it was in a small, old theatre that has since closed down. It wasn't a great match, as I could hear the fans overhead the entire time, and they were quite the distraction during the film's quieter moments. When it came out on video I did rewatch it, but those fans will always be the first thing I think of whenever Ex Machina comes up.

I've mentioned this on the forum before, but I was a little disappointed with The Shape of Water. It was a few months late coming here, and Doug Jones had previously hyped it up quite a bit when I saw him at a convention earlier that year. I only saw it that one time, so perhaps I should revisit it now that I have lowered expectations?

I had heard mixed things about Under the Skin when it first released, so I actually avoided it until about 2-3 years ago - whenever the 2nd Sci-Fi HoF was. I decided to give it a shot while trying to figure out what my nomination was going to be, and I actually enjoyed most of the film. I ultimately didn't nominate it, but it was certainly a pleasant surprise.

Black Swan, Holy Motors, and The Revenant are the three I haven't seen. I've never had any interest in seeing The Revenant, but I've grown more and more curious about Black Swan over the years.

Seen: 36/52

My List: 8  

On one hand I found Ex Machina a little underwhelming, while at the same time it's a really well told story that I have to admit I was impressed with. I suppose as Yoda said it doesn't quite break new ground, but it's okay, as a lot of science fiction is simply using established tropes as a framework to tell a good story. It doesn't always have to break new ground. Thus, it made my list at #16. Black Swan was a slog to get through.

My List:
2. Take Shelter (#67)
5. The Shape of Water (#52)
9. Nightcrawler (#55)
15. A Separation (#90)
16. Ex Machina (#49)

Society ennobler, last seen in Medici's Florence
#50. Black Swan (2010) - saw it when it came out. It was heavily favoured by the mass medias in that year. OK film, very pretentious anyway good movie. Whatever, I forgot it soon after that.
- (68/100).

I don't think in the cinema circles someone ever talks about movies named like Ex-Machina, so I never heard it.

I haven't seen Ex Machina and have forever been on the fence on whether I want to see it or not. The premise is intriguing but it's just so Sci-Fi heavy. For now I'll stick with a different 2010's movie about a man falling for an A.I. "woman."
I think that the non-sci-fi parts are strong enough that you would enjoy it. Especially Oscar Isaac's performance.

For me, Ex Machina and Black Swan are films that I enjoyed/appreciated. But both for me are also movies where the parts that I really like (such as the performances or visuals) just didn't quite add up to something more. I do think that they both have strong final acts, so for people who were really enjoying them, I can see why that seals them in as favorites.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
A film as shitty as it is incendiary? I bet it's Zombie Ass: Toilet of the Dead.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.