Where Are The GOOD Movies From Netflix?

Tools    

Also answers to Jabba
On a Laptop? The quality is awful, even if connected to a TV via HDMI.
I was just offering some help on your qualm about not being able to access Criterion. The quality is a completely different issue and to be honest it doesn't really matter in most cases if you are after the classics.

I was just offering some help on your qualm about not being able to access Criterion. The quality is a completely different issue and to be honest it doesn't really matter in most cases if you are after the classics.
Appreciate the assistance but I'm a bit of a stickler for image quality. n

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
The only thing that caught my fancy was a documentary, and maybe a stand-up special I've seen before.

If you know of a movie you think I'd like, I'd appreciate the post.

I couldn't get this to work (inserting numbers onto the search), but it is a UK site, and maybe it won't work for me.
https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-e...-b2014625.html

I typed out "Classic Movies" and got a category - "Classic Movies From The 1950s" -- only FOUR movies... I will be happy when this piece of shit goes out of business. I've already seen the great movies, but the average person starting out doesn't know better. My sister says Netflix stinks (don't know why she got it) and when I ask her what movies she's watched, she always says, "I can't get into anything"... Before, I used to blame it on lower attention spans with those kinds of people who have "smart" phones, but I think if they'd see something great, they'd forget all about it. Consequently, people give up, and move onto something else.

The lack of soul nutrition might explain all the suicides I keep hearing about, substance abuse. If only someone with power and talent spoke up. But there's also this establishment army that squeals "OK Boomer" and the conversation seems to end right there.

I will be happy when this piece of shit goes out of business.
Something not being engineered for your preferences =/= it not having value. I watch plenty of good entertainment on Netflix. If it's not what you want, do not subscribe! It's like if someone got a Shudder account and then complained about the lack of romantic comedies.

I would be very sad if Netflix suddenly disappeared (among other things I get DVDs from them and that catalog is pretty decent). Don't yuck someone's yum just because it isn't to your taste.

Don't yuck someone's yum just because it isn't to your taste.

Or is it, don't yum someone's yuck because it is to yours?

Something not being engineered for your preferences =/= it not having value. I watch plenty of good entertainment on Netflix. If it's not what you want, do not subscribe! It's like if someone got a Shudder account and then complained about the lack of romantic comedies.

I would be very sad if Netflix suddenly disappeared (among other things I get DVDs from them and that catalog is pretty decent). Don't yuck someone's yum just because it isn't to your taste.
Agree with the attitude. I do feel an enormous degree of frustration regarding Netflix at times. When I have my less severe migraines, I tend to want to put something on without thinking and use the “Play Something” feature. Tailored as it supposedly is to my preferences, I usually can’t help but marvel at the sheer awfulness of the majority of content.

I certainly don’t think any of that is reason enough to bully Netflix out of business. It’s good to have Breaking Bad etc. at one’s fingertips, but it’s a bit disappointing how readily they forego quality for the sake of quantity. That could change in future, I guess, if Ozark is anything to go by.

Agree with the attitude. I do feel an enormous degree of frustration regarding Netflix at times. When I have my less severe migraines, I tend to want to put something on without thinking and use the “Play Something” feature. Tailored as it supposedly is to my preferences, I usually can’t help but marvel at the sheer awfulness of the majority of content.
I think that the best strategy for Netflix is to have your watchlist ready with both favorites and stuff you want to check out at some point.

I agree that their model seems to be 7% good stuff, 93% crapolla. But I legitimately love the 7% that I enjoy.

They've sort of boxed themselves in by indulging and facilitating binge culture, but that means people finish a whole season of a show in a few days or a week. Keeping up with that demand AND producing solid stuff across the board just isn't going to happen.

The trick is not minding
Just to back up Takoma here, and I mentioned this previously, it’s actually pretty good for keeping up with more recent releases. This is especially true with foreign films.

I found Svaha there, which I preferred over The Wailing.

SIf it's not what you want, do not subscribe!

Instead of playing Mr. Netflix, you should have read my first sentence. I did not subscribe - my sister gave me her password. Read my next post. It's not about me. It's about people who stop watching movies because they think THAT is the norm. I want people to watch great movies so we (and many more) can get back to discussing them, too.

A system of cells interlinked
The only reason we have Netflix: One of our friends let's us use their login.

We had gotten rid of the service a while back for pretty much this exact reason the OP is talking about - a dearth of decent films to watch - and had sort of run out of TV shows to watch. It's nice to be able to dip in now and then to watch something like The Witcher, but if we didn't have the free login, I doubt we would use Netflix at this point.

I wonder how many of y'all complaining use the rating function on Netflix. They certainly have a quantity over quality mandate but there's plenty of good stuff.

Just pulling up the "Top Picks For Me" list and I immediately see:

Phantom Thread
Raw
The Nightingale
Stand By Me
Labyrinth
Leon
The Exorcist
True Grit
Blade Runner
Hunt For the Wilderpeople
The Wind
Hail Caesar
Monster
Apocalypse Now

Etc.

There's titles I haven't seen mixed in there but that took two seconds to look at.

Netflix is 95 percent awful, and I think their business model is disgustingly cynical, and I hate them, but they are hardly at fault for people not watching good movies. The majority of people have always passively watched films, and not really cared much about digging deeper. It's not Netflix's job to provide anything better if some people are already getting what they want from them.

As for those who want to dig deeper, there have always been options for them out there. No, they might not be as convenient (sort of like back in the day there was always 50 Blockbusters for every 1 independent and curated video rental store), but that's because most people don't care about movies enough to require anything more than Blockbuster/Netflix etc. But for those they care enough, they'll eventually find better avenues. Just like they always have.

IMO, Netflix has some good/decent films but very few. A lot of sub-par films. Mostly now days it's their own content. They did take some of Stephen King's short stories and make into films like Gerald's Game and 1922, which I found to be interesting. They are raising the monthly rate in March to be $16.99. Not sure if I will keep it.

There is a site that tells you what's showing for the next month and what is leaving as well.

https://www.whats-on-netflix.com/com...ch-2022-02-13/

Has anyone here used HBO Max? It's way better than Netflix and has tons of great films on there. I was pretty blown away by the app when I first searched through it.

Has anyone here used HBO Max? It's way better than Netflix and has tons of great films on there. I was pretty blown away by the app when I first searched through it.
I have HBO Max. It is better than Netflix. I have watched their new movies that are at the cinema, like the new Dune. They have quite a few Criterion films on there. One night, my friend and I went through every movie they had for that month. It was a nice mix.

Nightmare Alley is playing on HBO MAX and Hulu.

Instead of playing Mr. Netflix, you should have read my first sentence. I did not subscribe - my sister gave me her password.
My "you" was a general pronoun. Here: If one does not care for the contents of Netflix, one should not subscribe to the service.

Read my next post. It's not about me. It's about people who stop watching movies because they think THAT is the norm. I want people to watch great movies so we (and many more) can get back to discussing them, too.
If Netflix disappeared tomorrow, people would not blink their eyes a few times and then suddenly come thundering over to the Criterion Channel, desperate to get their hands on the first Fassbinder film they saw.

I think that you have an overly rosy view of what people used to watch and discuss. I worked in a video store before Netflix streaming even existed. You know what people rented? Click, Grandma's House, Waiting. Really great films just sat on the shelf while I couldn't restock Failure to Launch fast enough. Despite having HUGE LABELS that read "SUBTITLED", people would be angry if they rented a film that was *gasp* not in English?!?!?!?!?!

Most people treat film in a not serious way. And that's okay. If McDonald's shut down tomorrow, people would not suddenly seek out fancy restaurants with hand-crafted meals. They would look for the next best way to get a quick burger.

For people who do want to pursue film and film-watching as a more serious pastime, there is an abundance of streaming platforms at an affordable price. Where I used to live, I had to drive 30 minutes just to get to a RedBox at a grocery store. Without Netflix streaming (and DVDs!) or other similar services, I would have spent 2009-2016 watching nothing but the most popular films.

You can't force people to approach art the way that you do. If you want to introduce more people to the world of film, start a film-watching/discussion club at your local library once a month or something. That will do far more than e-mailing Netflix to scold them about their collection.

I will grant that Netflix is part of a huge cultural shift toward mass consumption, but that's an entire societal problem and not confined to any one platform. (And they've even taken some steps on that front, like only releasing one episode of Bake Off a week instead of dropping the whole thing at once).