Where Are The GOOD Movies From Netflix?

Tools    

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
I was talking to my sister, asking about my niece's piano lessons, then talked movies, and she gave me her username and password. I browsed every single movie on there. I saw "Taxi Driver", which I have on VHS, which I've seen many, many times.

Why don't they have a classic movies section? Or by the decades? Or independent and/or low-budget movies from the past? I will try to find a way to send them e-mails from every burner account, saying I'm 19 (so they know I could be a potential customer for a long time) but that I prefer movies from the 30-70s, including documentaries and other things from that era. I also noticed that out of the hundred movies I do like that are new, that none of them are on netflix.

If you have a recommendation, please list away. I browser every single movie, taking quite a while to read the description, and then checking out the trailer. I added "The Florida Project" after turning it off after 5 minutes a year ago, but nothing else came close to grabbing my attention.

I believe they have several classics. But you have to search for them using the search feature.

Seems to me that The Big Sleep and a number of others were on there. Hope I'm not conflating that with Amazon.

But I agree, they should have a Classics section, or a noir section.

The trick is not minding
Netflix isn’t really geared towards the cinephile. Their library tend to go no further back then the 1970’s typically. Which is fine. I tend to watch it only for the newer releases and the occasional older film like the dozen films they have from Youssef Chahine.

Temper expectations in regards to that they offer, and understand that they don’t have the depth or quality of Amazon Prime, Tubi (if you don’t mind ads) or of Criterion (especially in terms of quality).

Netflix is only interested in the average viewer.

It's geared more towards people who like tossing their money in the garbage.
Ha, yeah I hated Netflix streaming. Their DVD in the mail service was decent though...But I could find more movies to watch on Youtube than I could on Netflix streaming.

Ghouls, vampires, werewolves... let's party.
Ha, yeah I hated Netflix streaming. Their DVD in the mail service was decent though...But I could find more movies to watch on Youtube than I could on Netflix streaming.
I used to get their DVDs and burn them onto my computer. A lot of their DVDs are cracked and could ruin your player.

I used to get their DVDs and burn them onto my computer. A lot of their DVDs are cracked and could ruin your player.
I got one DVD that was cracked from them, took me awhile to figure out why it wouldn't play. Lots of their DVDs are scratched up pretty badly too.

They have a handful of big-name films that are older (Terminator, Guns of Navarone), but aside from that their pre-1970 content is almost non-existent.

But I do think they have some decent stuff on there:
Edge of Seventeen
Paddington
tick tick BOOM
Mitchells vs the Machines
Hell or High Water
About Time
There Will Be Blood
The Killing of a Sacred Deer
Moneyball
Hunt for the Wilder People
Tangerine
Lady Bird
Stardust
I am Not Your Negro
I Don't Feel at Home in This World Anymore
Roma
Gerald's Game
Philomena
Cop Car
A Monster Calls
Dick Johnson is Dead
Crip Camp

I'll also say this for Netflix: they are the home of a lot of comfort watches. I get that this might not be the cup of tea of people who are looking for "serious cinema" (I don't say this sarcastically).

When I want the good stuff, I go to the Criterion Channel or Kanopy.

When I want to go to bed to something light, I often turn to Netflix.

And while the question was about films, they have some pretty good/great television series on there.

And while the question was about films, they have some pretty good/great television series on there.
Oh yeah; I mean, Breaking Bad, Cowboy Bebop (the original, of course), and Star Trek: Deep Space Nine are basically worth the price of admission just for those three alone, if you ask me...

Netflix is awful mainly. They seem to put out maybe 1 or 2 decent films a year only. Roma and the Lost Daughter were good. I only have their service for my children who like the kids movies and tv series.

Here in the UK we don't even have Criterion channel, Hulu, or TUBI.

We have BFI, MUBI and Curzon which is expensive. I tend to wait until the Blu-Ray is released most of the time.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
I believe they have several classics. But you have to search for them using the search feature.

Seems to me that The Big Sleep and a number of others were on there. Hope I'm not conflating that with Amazon.

But I agree, they should have a Classics section, or a noir section.

Even the few classics are movies my non-existent dog has seen.

Comcast has a section where you can go by decades. I just wish they would have a filter to separate those free with commercials and those that are completely free.. I hate commercials.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Netflix is aimed at your average Joe who just wants to watch something when bored. Cinephiles have no business looking for anything there. Sure, there are a few good films there, but even a monkey solves a puzzle right once in a while.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

It's hard to find stuff on Netflix for a reason. The entire interface is designed to create the illusion of copious selection to mask the reality that they're gaming on having enough gems in the dirt will keep you digging and not pulling stakes.

Netflix is perfect if you just kind of want to be mildly entertained forever. At least as far as movies are concerned. There are definitely some gems, and I don't think it's especially hard to find most of them if you have a good sense of what you like and put a tiny bit of effort into it, but you almost never wanna just browse on Netflix itself for movies.

TV shows, on the other hand, it does pretty well.

Also answers to Jabba
Here in the UK we don't even have Criterion channel, Hulu, or TUBI.

We have BFI, MUBI and Curzon which is expensive. I tend to wait until the Blu-Ray is released most of the time.

All you need is a VPN or a friend from the States to open an acount for you and then you can use Criterion from anywhere in the world without worrying about your IP's location. Just saying.

All you need is a VPN or a friend from the States to open an acount for you and then you can use Criterion from anywhere in the world without worrying about your IP's location. Just saying.
On a Laptop? The quality is awful, even if connected to a TV via HDMI.