Mr Minio's Top 185 Films aka I bet you haven't seen it!

→ in
Tools    

We've gone on holiday by mistake
160. James Bond Franchise

Where's your God now Gandalf 26?

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE!!!

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
120. Branded to Kill

My favourite Yakuza film.

119. Blockade

Touching and shocking documentary with no commentary, in which only archival footage and montage tell the story of 900-day-long blockade of Leningrad.

118. A Tanu

Hungarian comedy & drama mix mocking Communism.

117. Tabu

I'm probably the only person that didn't include the croc picture when mentioning this movie.

116. I Am Cuba

Perhaps the greatest and most sophisticated cinematography in history plus propaganda. Guapo, don't watch it. Others should or even have to!

115. Buddha Collapsed Out of Shame

Terrific Iranian film directed by female.

114. Destiny of a Man

An outstanding debut of the director, who later made films such as Waterloo and War and Peace.

113. Goodbye, Dragon Inn

Probably the slowest and finest film about films. I wrote more about it in my Journey thread.

112. Tokyo Story

"Isn't life disappointing?"

111. Doubt

Up-to-date problem portrayed by talented actors.

110. 3 Women

With this mind-tuggling psychological drama and visually stunning whodunit Gosford Park Altman is slowly becoming a director I love.

109. Shutter Island

No other Scorsese film I found so powerful and beautiful.

108. Schindler's List

Spielberg's finest achievement. Why the hell is this mainstream stuff so high on my list, I don't know.

107. 21 Grams

"Did you know that eating alone could cause kidney damage? And that's BAD."

106. Death in Venice

A man with moustache stalking a young boy all around Venice to seek his afflation.

105. Karamazovi

Dostoyevski's Karamazovi with an interesting subplot.

104. The Lion in Winter

Hepburn is flawless in this one.

103. This Transient Life

And what if I tell you they are brother and sister?

102. Lilja 4-ever

The movie gets really depressing when you realise it's really happening somewhere in the world.

101. Spirited Away

Guaporense grants + rep in 3... 2... 1...
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Shutter Island and Schindler's List are great films. I have both Tokyo Story and Tabu ready to watch. I really want to see I Am Cuba too because of what I have heard about it, it's one of Paul Thomas Anderson's favourite films and heavily influenced Boogie Nights, because of it's beautiful long shots, I have heard.

I've only seen 39 (60%) and I couldn't find every one on IMDb.
Pretty strange considering how much films you've seen. It only shows you can't watch everything in your life.

Which movies couldn't you find?

No, but I will. Thanks for recommendation.

100. The Golden Fern

It's so underseen and underrated yet so great it deserves such a high place. I wonder what other masterpieces is Czechoslovak cinema hiding from me!

99. The Hunger

It's got Blade Runneresque mood and damn, vampires are cool and Deneuve is cool. And hot as well. And Schubert was cool. And Bowie too. A must see!

98. Man with a Movie Camera

This 1929 City Symphony Documentary was a big triumph of Soviet Montage and a great achievement in Experimental cinema. It's impressing even now and was groundbreaking in its time combining all known cinema techniques and tricks.

97. Meshes of the Afternoon

This 1943 experimental short is arguably the most accomplished and greatest Maya Deren film. Its vivid yet scary imaginery and surreal touches make it a must see for every cinema fan.

96. Happy Together

"I can't see me lovin' nobody but you
For all my life
When you're with me, baby the skies'll be blue
For all my life"

95. Beyond the Black Rainbow

Rarely a film achieves such dense impenetrable atmosphere built on music and visuals. The initiation scene feels like a narco-vision scene from 2001.

94. Mistrz

I'm afraid this TV film is unavailable with English subtitles, but it has nothing to do with the fact it's simply masterful. Well, they should at least consider restoring it and releasing a Blu-Ray with subtitles so foreigners can see how good Polish movies are.

93. Sunset Limited

Religious debate being a try to save a life. It features only two actors sitting in one room talking. It's adapted from Cormac McCarthy's screenplay (author of i.e. No Country for Old Men and The Road books) and directed by Tommy Lee Jones, who's also starring along with Samuel L. Jackson.

92. Live!

It starts slowly and intriguingly, but the latter sequences remind me of something I'd call an arthouse action movie with constant shooting. Basically, it's like you're watching an action flick, but still it's refined, so it's a double profit for you!

91. Koyaanisqatsi

It's another documentary, which rejects conventional commentary and uses visuals along with music to convey emotions and beauty. Divine soundtrack composed by Philip Glass accompanies incredible cinematography creating a very strong and stirring experience.

Tokyo Story, Schindler's List, and Meshes of the Afternoon are all excellent. 3 Women I adore, as you know.

Forever gratefulness for anyone who can find me a stream or DVD of A Tanu

90. The Legend of 1900

I found this movie to be way more magical, poignant and beautiful than Cinema Paradiso. The final scenes made me cry, while the jazz duel was simply awesome.

89. I Am Twenty

Very honest and believable this Soviet coming-of-age drama is. The happiness radiating from the screen is contagious.

88. 12 Angry Men

A true classic that never gets old. The movie shows how we never can be certain and how easy is it to manipulate people.

87. One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest

"She was fifteen years old, going on thirty-five, Doc, and she told me she was eighteen, she was very willing, I practically had to take to sewing my pants shut. Between you and me, uh, she might have been fifteen, but when you get that little red beaver right up there in front of you, I don't think it's crazy at all and I don't think you do either. No man alive could resist that, and that's why I got into jail to begin with. And now they're telling me I'm crazy over here because I don't sit there like a ******* vegetable. Don't make a bit of sense to me. If that's what being crazy is, then I'm senseless, out of it, gone-down-the-road, wacko. But no more, no less, that's it."

86. Ladoni

"He said he was not going to move from this place until the coming of the Kingdom of God. But to make it happen I should fulfill the following - I should make the inside like the outside and the left arm, like the right arm and the left cheek like the right cheek. And when I make a hand instead of the hand, and eyes instead of the eye, and a face instead of the face, and when I make legs instead of the leg, and a back instead of the back, and a head instead of the head... And when I make a man and a woman into one, so that a man is not a man, and a woman is not a woman, then the Kingdom of God will come."

85. Secrets & Lies

"Secrets and lies! We're all in pain! Why can't we share our pain? I've spent my entire life trying to make people happy, and the three people I love the most in the world hate each other's guts, and I'm in the middle! I can't take it anymore!"

84. Jeanne Dielman, 23 Quai du Commerce, 1080 Bruxelles

It's three hours of boredom, loneliness, sadness and slowness that leads to something surprising.

83. Honey

Slow yet beautiful tale of a young boy exploring the world around him, trying to overcome his weaknesses.

82. The Legend of Suram Fortress

Strangely enough this is Parajanov movie I loved the most. It's filled with beauty, symbolism and fairy tale mood, which all combined create the movie one of its kind. A masterpiece.

81. Departures

"This is done in such a way that the family does not see. The anus must sometimes be blocked. The cotton wool is rolled, and pressed deep into the anus. This prevents seepage." Yeah, I KNOW!!!

Woohoo! One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest is my #2!

Two questions: What are some other Corbucci films besides Django that are must-sees? And how would you rate Tarantino's other films?

The Brave Little Weeman Returns!
Mr Minio, when you titled your list thread here, you were more or less spot on. I'm struggling to work out whether I've watched any of these

Reviews

What are some other Corbucci films besides Django that are must-sees?
Il mercenario is a must-see. I've also seen Navajo Joe and it's only a little worse.

And how would you rate Tarantino's other films?
Quentin Tarantino, ranked:
1. Inglorious Basterds

2. Django Unchained

3. Kill Bill: Vol 1

4. Kill Bill: Vol 2

5. Pulp Fiction

Il mercenario is a must-see. I've also seen Navajo Joe and it's only a little worse.

Quentin Tarantino, ranked:
1. Inglorious Basterds

2. Django Unchained

3. Kill Bill: Vol 1

4. Kill Bill: Vol 2

5. Pulp Fiction
You're dead to me.