Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

'Le Havre' (2011)

Pleasantly surprised by my first Aki Kaurismaki film. It's almost like a mashup of Kieslowski, Wenders, Fassbinder with a bit of Jean Pierre Jeunet and Jacques Demy chucked in. All of those influences are clear. The movie essentially explores compassion / morality, styled in 1970s but set in modern day. The currency is Euros, the conversation is immigration and Al Quaeda - but the set design is from a few decades ago. This is obviously deliberate - is it to play on Kaurismaki's exasperation on the lack of progress in recent times? Despite this, and the film having a few sombre subplots, it is very optimistic and explores the true value of community / love they neighbour ethic. Really impressed by Kaurismaki and can't wait to explore more of his movies to find out if they are as good as 'Le Havre'

Welcome to the human race...
Mortal Engines (2018)

Cliched and shallow propaganda movie that surely looks pretty.

Propaganda?

Lady Bird -
, maybe

ehhh I mainly just want to re-watch Ghost World now

“I was cured, all right!”

★★★★
Hilarious film! It gets better at every view.

★★★★
Need the 226 minutes version.

★★★★
A collection of memories!

★★★★★
Incredible fresh look at the wuxia genre.

★★★★
The fade of the dream.

★★★★
The second half of this film is pure gold! Beautiful.

--
A very nice weekend! I couldn't manage to watch everything I wanted, but whatever ...

Unregistered User
Sorcerer 1977

Great watch, very tense, Roy Scheider s really good in this one. Excellent soundtrack; Keith Jarrett, Charlie Parker, Miles Davis and the main theme!

Such a great film. Glad you enjoyed.

"Honor is not in the Weapon. It is in the Man"

The Amityville Murders

The true story of Ronald "Butch" DeFeo Jr. and the events that led up to a very fateful night in 1974 when claiming he heard voices in his head, killed his entire family at their home at 112 Ocean Avenue in Amityville, New York. John Robinson, IMO, gave a tour de force performance as the young DeFeo, who suffered physical and emotional abuse from his domineering father, played by Paul-Ben Victor. 80's star Diane Franklin truly shows she is back as Louise DeFeo, the mother who attempts over time to console her son, but eventually becomes a victim herself. While based on the name, it sounds like a horror film, it's more of a "tense emotional drama" that has "horror overtones, especially towards the finale.

The Grinch

I took my kids to see this over the weekend at our local dollar theater. I wanted to like it as much as the Jim Carrey-led live-action version, but couldn't. It's not that it was a bad movie, but there were some definite cons. First, Pharrell Williams' narration just seemed bland and out of place and the story involving Cindy Lou Who wasn't exactly as fun as the 2000 film. However, on the upside, I did like Benedict Cumberbatch's take on the character and Kenan Thompson's Mr. Bricklebaum kept making me laugh due to his "overenthusiasm" of the Christmas season, plus the scenes with Fred the oversized reindeer were a hoot. It's not completely bad, but it wasn't great either.

Dolls (2002)

One of "Beat"s directorial only outings. It's a simply marvelous treatise on the nature of undying love told in 3 vignettes. It's romantic and thoughtful without being slushy.

Sorcerer 1977

Great watch, very tense, Roy Scheider s really good in this one. Excellent soundtrack; Keith Jarrett, Charlie Parker, Miles Davis and the main theme!

I liked it – certainly unusual. The typography really impressed me, both the title card, which is shown on the poster above exactly how it appears in the film, and the end titles. I always think it's a mistake to deviate from the style used on screen. Alien for example was unified across its promotion and on the credits.

I liked it – certainly unusual. The typography really impressed me, both the title card, which is shown on the poster above exactly how it appears in the film, and the end titles. I always think it's a mistake to deviate from the style used on screen. Alien for example was unified across its promotion and on the credits.
I really need to get around to seeing "Sorcerer", I love a bit of Roy. Couple of weeks off coming up so certainly on the playlist.

AMERICAN CRIME STORY: THE ASSASSINATION OF GIANNI VERSACE
(2019)

“Let me tell you something you already know. The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place and I don't care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!” ~ Rocky Balboa

I really need to get around to seeing "Sorcerer", I love a bit of Roy. Couple of weeks off coming up so certainly on the playlist.
He's very good – well he always is . I wouldn't even say it's my kind of thing but it definitely has that extra element that takes it out of the ordinary.

10 years ago this movie went right over my head. Not sure I even finished it.

Re-watch this weekend. Brilliant movie. I really like the director Andrea Arnold’s work.

Don’t usually watch short films, but these 3 of hers are really good. Milk, Dog & Wasp. My fave, the 3rd one, won an Oscar.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
Made for Each Other - 9/10
I've seen thousands of movies, but I can't name 10 funny movies, but this was one, and it was great. Very original. I got the recommendation from this Cassavetes book, where he says
"I like this new picture, Made For Each Other, by Robert Bean, I think it's excellent.

Unfortunately, the director, Robert Bean, doesn't even have a wikipedia page, and on IMDB, it only shows this.

Also interesting to point out that the couple in the movie also wrote the story, and were also married in real life. And it's on YouTube in FULL! I'll paste it below.

I won't dance. Don't ask me...
Green Book (2018) -
IMDB current rating of 8.3 is mad
Too bad because I'm going to the cinema in two weeks for hat movie and I have a big appetite for it. I hope I won't be disappointed.

I won't dance. Don't ask me...

2.5/5
I'm not a huge fan of Kristen Stewart and I've never been into staff like fashion/clothes. 1 point for short performance of Anders Danielsen Lie

CAUTION! Spolier question: Did I undrstand correctly and she was killed in the hotel room?
(the end of the spoiler)

5th Re-watch...one of the finest adaptations of a Broadway musical to the silver screen...just about everything works here, especially the inventive choreography of Bob Fosse.