Beneficiaries of "Cancel Culture"?

Tools    

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
Shane Gillis? He was unknown (by his own words) until he was hired by SNL. They find some Asian slurs, and the next day, they fire him, but he gets a ton of popularity and support from the stand-up community, and now his specials, or even appearances can get him millions. I think he's funny, especially with a group of friends.

Shane Gillis? He was unknown (by his own words) until he was hired by SNL. They find some Asian slurs, and the next day, they fire him, but he gets a ton of popularity and support from the stand-up community, and now his specials, or even appearances can get him millions. I think he's funny, especially with a group of friends.

I’m having a horrendous day and haven’t slept for 22+ hours, so if I am to be banned, so be it… but I did read the bit in bold as ‘Asian sluts’, so help me god…

I’m having a horrendous day and haven’t slept for 22+ hours, so if I am to be banned, so be it… but I did read the bit in bold as ‘Asian sluts’, so help me god…

Oh man. Sorry to hear. I just went 30 hours Sat-Sun. And that's the least of my issues.

Good luck. Meditation helps, if you have the discipline. Even a few deep breaths in bed, slowly, has helped me.

Oh man. Sorry to hear. I just went 30 hours Sat-Sun. And that's the least of my issues.

Good luck. Meditation helps, if you have the discipline. Even a few deep breaths in bed, slowly, has helped me.
Thank you — as a seasoned insomniac, you’re right, that does work. But hell, did this thread cheer me up, so thanks for that. Sad that Asian sluts weren’t part of it.

Thank you — as a seasoned insomniac, you’re right, that does work. But hell, did this thread cheer me up, so thanks for that. Sad that Asian sluts weren’t part of it.

Sounds like something Mr. Mineo would say.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Sounds like something Mr. Mineo would say.
Yep, Mr. Mineo would.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Psychopathic Psychiatrist
If you can’t be funny without using slurs then you are not funny.
There is some slight problem here:

.) "Funny" is relative or i better say it is based on subjectivity.

.) I think it is a serious problem, as soon a certain "group" or "majority" of people decide what is "funny" and what is not.

Yes, i see the "cancel-culture" as well as the "woke-culture" as a general problem:

.) It is a group of people, who decide what is "good" and what is "bad".

.) It is a group of people, who "punish" all those, who are "bad".

.) I think the woke-culture is in fact causing the exact opposite of what they actually are targeting, because on the long run, this whole thing will probably cause even more people to become "bad" after all, rather than being "good" as the woke- and cancel-culture wants everyone to be.*

*I know people who never had a problem with gays, in fact they just never cared for sexual-related things like that, but now with all those "forced" gay-scenes in movies and stuff and the way how everyone is "forced" to accept it all, they start to get this weird feeling of really having enough of all that "gay crap" after all.

A feeling, they never had before until this whole thing started.

A feeling, they never had before until this whole thing started.

This is all pushed by business interests. "Just post a metoo hashtag, and those idiots will forget about destroying the world economy"

People are more conformist than ever in history. Some might look at these niche groups with diverse tastes all over the world and think differently.. Like "the elephant theory". It's unbelievable how whatever is trending just coincides with exactly what most people trivialize/gossip about.

You ready? You look ready.
Yes, funny is relative. But if you look at the definition of slur it is incompatible with funny.

an *insinuation* or *allegation* about someone that is likely to insult them or damage their reputation.
It’s no different than the new “prank” culture all over social media. People can’t bully and belittle people in public and then say “oh it’s just a prank”. Sorry to say but there’s just a whole new generation of unfunny people.

And there’s no such thing as cancel culture or woke culture. There’s just right and wrong.

Just to say, the term "cancel culture" is useful when you don't want to make the artist or the company they work for accountable for their own decisions, but the rest of the day it's a meaningless buzzterm.

Yes, funny is relative. But if you look at the definition of slur it is incompatible with funny.
Of course a slur itself ain´t funny, i mean who is laughing about a slur???

So does this mean, a slur is also "incompatible" with "funny"?

TheDoctor clearly says "Nope", coz slurs can indeed be compatible with "funny", or should i bring a few examples of dark humor jokes, who are using racist slurs or racist remarks?

Besides racist-jokes, I could also talk about how hilarious it is, to tell when a baby is knocking onto the oven-window from inside a oven or even funnier, how a baby doesn´t fit into an elevator while having a spear through its head!

Or is general dark humor (those racist-jokes as well as cruel baby-jokes and all others!) already generally banned by the woke- and cancel-culture? Are "racist jokes" only used by racists and is everyone who is laughig about a racist-joke a racist?

Now what probably will shock people, regarding dark humor:

https://www.google.com/search?q=dark...t=gws-wiz-serp

the rest of the day it's a meaningless buzzterm.
That depends on how much your real-life existence is dependent on social platforms online.

If you lose your job, lose lots of money or if you are getting daily death-threats, because of some culture building up online, then i am afraid "cancel culture" is way more than just a "meaningless buzzterm" for the rest of YOUR day.

That depends on how much your real-life existence is dependent on social platforms online.

If you lose your job, lose lots of money or if you are getting daily death-threats, because of some culture building up online, then i am afraid "cancel culture" is way more than just a "meaningless buzzterm" for the rest of YOUR day.
That's still deviating the attention from the actual decision makers. You don't "get fired" because of criticism, the company you work for fires you. If you have to blame somebody, it should be SNL in this case, not your average Twitter user. Similarly, and I'm not saying this is the case because honestly saying slurs is tame compared to what some weirdos have done, it is entirely possible that one ends their own career due to poor decisions, not connecting with their established audience or simply being jerks. It has happened multiple times throughout history.

Anyway, can people become a political or social pressure force? Sure. But that is not what happens usually, not even in a frequent enough basis to call it "cancel culture". Most of the time it is people far more powerful than the average social platform user is making the decisions. And using the term "cancel culture" is, in this most frequent case, an effective way for them to dodge the consequences of their own decisions.

You don't "get fired" because of criticism,
The "cancel-culture" wouldn´t be called "cancel-culture" if they would just criticize people.

They exactly know what they are doing and you can be sure, if a person loses its job because of certain comments on its social-media page, then it wasn´t a "terrible accident" nor a "unhappy misunderstanding" in the most cases.

So that´s why they have gotten their name "cancel-culture"!

They "cancel" other people and also make sure that those people are getting "canceled" from others who are in fact not even a part of the "cancel-culture" (or unaware of it) and that´s what is making that "cancel-culture" so dangerous, because people can become an active part of it, not even being aware of it.

the company you work for fires you. If you have to blame somebody, it should be SNL in this case, not your average Twitter user.
Are you familiar with "causality"?

If you push a bigass boulder and it starts rollin down the mountain, crashing into a car and causing 5 dead people.

Who has to be blamed?

The boulder?
The 5 people driving the car?
The car itself?
You?
Or was it the mountain who caused 5 people to lose their lives?

If the comment from a social-media user causes a company to fire someone, then it was the social media user who caused another person to lose its job, not the company. It is really easy as that and not overly complicated.

If you can’t be funny without using slurs then you are not funny.
If the slurs in Blazing Saddles and don't make you laugh, then you may be a fun hater. See your doctor if fun-hating lasts for more than 2-hours.

Don't give offense lightly, but don't take offense lightly either. And as is so often the case in conversation, context is king.

If we can't joke with each other about sensitive issues, I guess we always have mass shootings, riots, and road rage.