The MoFo Top 100 of the 2010s Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Aw bummer.

I knew that Mandy (my #9) probably had no chance, but I had hopes that You Were Never Really Here (my #5) would. They are both films that I feel very strongly, and both movies that I can't often bear to watch all the way through, but frequently watch 20-30 minute segments from.

Aw bummer.

I knew that Mandy (my #9) probably had no chance, but I had hopes that You Were Never Really Here (my #5) would. They are both films that I feel very strongly, and both movies that I can't often bear to watch all the way through, but frequently watch 20-30 minute segments from.
Have you seen Beyond the Black Rainbow, from Cosmatos?

Have you seen Beyond the Black Rainbow, from Cosmatos?
Yes, and I thought it was merely okay/good. For me Mandy is a serious cut above it.

I would think Wind River was on a more than a couple lists, to be sure. But if voters had to choose between the Taylor Sheridan-penned Wind River, Hell or High Water, and Sicario I am not surprised that Wind River is the one that got left off of the collective. But it is a great flick.

Wind River is by far my favorite of these, but I don't think my one point helped it very much.

I also prefer Those Who Wish Me Dead to the other two.

Near Misses (#111 - #120)

111. The Babadook - 72 points
112. Mandy - 71 points
113. Won't You be My Neighbor? - 71 points
114. Skyfall - 70 points
115. Uncle Boonmee Who can Recall His Past Lives - 70 points
116. Hanagatami - 70 points
117. Midsommar - 68 points
118. Hugo - 67 points
119. A Ghost Story - 67 points
120. You Were Never Really Here - 67 points
There's another there that was on my list, at least someone voted for it....I had Won't You Be My Neighbor? at #18 Mister Rogers rocks! What a nice, caring man he was. I found the documentary to be way better than the Tom Hanks movie.

Watching this scene was the only time I was ever particularly impressed with DiCaprio.

Hint Leaderboard (Final Rankings)

LAMb EELYAK: 13
rauldc14: 7
Torgo: 7

Apex Predator: 4
Chypmunk: 4
MovieMeditation: 4
PHOENIX74: 2
KeyserCorleone: 2
Thief: 2
Citizen Rules: 1
Deschain: 1
Little Ash: 1
Burning: 1
Miss Vicky: 1
seanc: 1
Thursday Next: 1

Of those near misses only Uncle Boonmee was on my list. Contemplative, poetic and comfortable with existing as it is in mystery. For me it wasn't something to solve but more of an enigma to experience You.settle into it. Great example of the art form.
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

Looks like I will have five in the top ten, which of course makes me feel like a populist fraud. All you mofos with lamenting that you only have ten movies on the countdown, I’m jealous of that kind of individuality.

I expressed my individuality by voting for such little-known and disliked fare as Harry Potter, The Hunger Games, Star Wars, and James Bond.

112. Mandy - 71 points
114. Skyfall - 70 points
118. Hugo - 67 points
None of these either. I am so out of touch with this forum.

It means you guys have to fight each other to the death.

*quietly removes The Hunger Games from ballot*

Near Misses (#101 - #110)

101. Frances Ha
102. Call Me By Your Name
103. The Nice Guys
104. Moneyball
105. I Am Not Your Negro
106. I Saw the Devil
107. American Hustle
108. Lady Bird
109. Mommy
110. Predestination

So by participating in the vote I knocked Frances Ha and Call Me By Your Name off the countdown in favor of Room and Jojo Rabbit. I'm okay with that.

I've seen 102, 103, 104, 107, 108, and 110. I like The Nice Guys, Moneyball, and Predestination.

I don't know what the whole top ten will be like, but I'll eat my shoes if Annihilation is not in the top three.

Get the cutlery out, Charlie Chaplin.

112. Mandy - 71 points
114. Skyfall - 70 points
118. Hugo - 67 points

Hey, Skyfall was my #20.

Frances Ha was my number 6. Again a great screenplay, great characters and a great story.

You all suck.

My bad.

Yes, and I thought it was merely okay/good. For me Mandy is a serious cut above it.
Yeah, I liked Mandy, but I'm the other way around.

Apologies in advance for the meandering rant. I haven't written anything this close to an essay in many years.

Arrival really highlights for me how subjective movie-watching can be. I was excited to see it, but in the theater found myself uninterested in it beyond curiosity as to just what the heck was going on. In one line of dialogue, everything clicked into place. I understood both the mechanics and themes of the story, where each involved party stood, what had happened, what would happen and why. Theoretically, this should have been a thrilling experience, as was a sudden and relatively trivial realization I had watching Mike Flanagan's Before I Wake. Instead, my reaction was along the lines of "Oh, OK," followed by half an hour of waiting for the movie to slowly lay it all out piece-by-piece.

Once it had, I was surprised to hear that another nearby filmgoer was still confused about what had happened. My surprise increased months later when I rewatched with my parents. My dad - a very smart and well-educated guy who had taught me the concept that the story revolves around - didn't get what had happened even after the movie was over. My mom - who had fallen asleep in the first twenty minutes, then woken up and wandered off to do chores - did.

I believe we tend to decide whether we like a movie before coming up with "reasons" to explain it. I remember being annoyed at critics sniping at the likes of Collateral Beauty, Passengers, and The Book of Henry on "moral" grounds or taking aim at their tonal shifts while heaping praise on Arrival and Colossal.

Hopefully this didn't come off as an attack on the movie. I just think this is an interesting subject that my experience with Arrival touches on from a few different angles.

Near Misses (#121 - #130)

121. I, Daniel Blake - 66 points
122. It's Such a Beautiful Day - 64 points (this is the 2011 short, so it may be inaccurate as Yoda mentioned earlier)
123. Avengers: Infinity War - 63 points
124. Captain America: The Winter Soldier - 63 points
125. Life of Pi - 63 points
126. Scream 4 - 62 points
127. The Skin I Live In - 61 points
128. Argo - 61 points
129. 12 Years a Slave - 60 points
130. Star Wars: Episode VII - The Force Awakens - 60 points

122. It's Such a Beautiful Day
123. Avengers: Infinity War
124. Captain America: The Winter Soldier
125. Life of Pi
129. 12 Years a Slave
130. Star Wars: Episode VII - The Force Awakens

Seen the following. As I revealed earlier, the full version of It's Such a Beautiful Day made my ballot. The rest of those range from pretty good to really good, but they weren't in contention for my ballot.

Near Misses (#121 - #130)

121. I, Daniel Blake - 66 points
122. It's Such a Beautiful Day - 64 points (this is the 2011 short, so it may be inaccurate as Yoda mentioned earlier)
123. Avengers: Infinity War - 63 points
124. Captain America: The Winter Soldier - 63 points
125. Life of Pi - 63 points
126. Scream 4 - 62 points
127. The Skin I Live In - 61 points
128. Argo - 61 points
129. 12 Years a Slave - 60 points
130. Star Wars: Episode VII - The Force Awakens - 60 points
Holy shit, there's Infinity War, so scratch those predictions I threw out about an hour ago. I've seen the ones in bold, but really, none of them were close to make my list. I like most of them, but yeah.