The MoFo Top 100 of the 2010s Countdown

→ in
Tools    

A system of cells interlinked
To find new stuff to watch, I tend to just look for recommendations here on MoFo, or recently, I am slowing working through a rectification list of films from this countdown I still need to see. Looks like I need to add Uncut Gems to the list...

I agree re: discovery and sifting through the mountain of #content. Curating what to watch requires considerable effort, or at least, it does if you want to do it well, so that most of what you see is really worth seeing (to you).

I'll second Coherence though.

So, I've never signed up for Mubi (which crumbsroom mentioned), but I am aware their selling point is they have a much more limited library, because it's hand curated as opposed to going through an algorithm. The idea being it's more like a virtual film festival, rather than a library you dig through. They used to commit to it with the idea of every day a new movie comes into rotation and an existing movie goes out of rotation (like, this was part of their ad pitch in the various ads I'd hear in various podcasts). At some point they backed away from that, so I'm not sure exactly how it works now.

They're kind of the service I feel a bit bad for never subscribing to (but can't justify the cost for an additional streaming service at that price to myself), because I don't want the only arthouse streaming service to be the criterionchannel, no matter how much I may like it.

33/64 seen
5/64 on my ballot
(I have no idea whether this is accurate. My relationship with numbers is not so good.)

I have never seen Uncut Gems. But I love a movie that keeps me on the edge of my seat. I will definitely have to see this.

Moonrise Kingdom is #19 on my list. It is so charming, light and funny. It is not my favorite Wes Anderson but it is up there. It is darling and precious but Anderson can handle that without being cloying. I loved it.

As most people have said, Uncut Gems was an intense watch. Really enjoyed it, and it's always good to see someone like Sandler step outside the box. Had it hovering around my list at first, but ended up cutting it, though.

Haven't seen Moonrise Kingdom, so you can chalk that one down to my Wes Anderson blindness.

So, here's where I'm at, including the chances for the rest of my list...

Seen: 48/64

My ballot:  

@John-Connor, just to add a couple more actors to the list... Both Jason Schwartzman (Scott Pilgrim, Moonrise Kingdom) and LaKeith Stanfield (Uncut Gems, Knives Out) have two now.

@John-Connor, just to add a couple more actors to the list... Both Jason Schwartzman (Scott Pilgrim, Moonrise Kingdom) and LaKeith Stanfield (Uncut Gems, Knives Out) have two now.
Grazie

I really enjoyed both Moonrise Kingdom and Uncut Gems, but didn't vote for either.

I think that Uncut Gems suffered a bit because I was so fond of Good Time by the same directors.

I like Wes Anderson a lot, but sometimes his films just sort of fall flat. Even the good ones are a bit twee (and tweed), and after seeing a couple and getting the whole vibe down, they've gotta be pretty freaking great to overcome how "like themselves" they end up feeling. And most of them get over that hump. The Darjeeling Limited doesn't, but big whoop, right? It's still okay.

The difference here is that while most Anderson fans agree with me that TDL is sub-par, very few seem to agree with me about Moonrise Kingdom. They don't just think it's good, they think it's his best film ever. The disconnect there is large enough to leave me genuinely confused.

That seemingly makes it a candidate for a rewatch. I don't expect I'll change my mind, but maybe I'll figure out where that disconnect comes from.

The problem nowadays is not one of availability but of sifting through the mountain of available video to find movies you can enjoy. Algorithms not withstanding.

I also do not trust reviewers anymore. They mostly seem to be shills for the corporations at least back in the day they worked for the newspapers and you could expect some impartiality.

Right now I only trust Takoma.

This gets at my point of audiences having to work harder. And obviously some people don't have the time or inclination to do that sifting. But my stance, as a lover of movies, and simply art in general, is that there is nothing inherently bad or unpleasant about watching a film that isn't that good, or is even bad. Just the act of watching film is pleasurable, so it's no great loss if I get a bunch of near or total flops to get to the good stuff. It also makes me appreciate the good stuff even more knowing I put the leg work in. Not even to mention the fact that even movies I think are beyond dreadful offer no end of conversational opportunities about film after you watch them. You figure out what you like a lot of the time by defining what you don't like.

So basically what I'm saying is, I don't personally get what is so terrible about terrible movies. They are a necesssary part of the film going experience as far as I'm concerned.

Uncut Gems was a contender for my list. I loved it and I could relate to it but it didn't quite give me that kick that makes a film a personal favorite. Close though, maybe later.

I did not like Moonrise Kingdom the 1st time but I did the 2nd time. Wes Anderson was an acquired taste for me.

Have yet to see Uncut Gems but I like Sandler and I'm curious to see him in a dramatic role (not having seen his other dramatic turns or turn, whatever the case may be) so it's another on my watch list.

Moonrise Kingdom is absolutely my favorite Wes Anderson film, but then I love everyone of his I've seen. I still haven't seen The Darjeeling Limited, although it's another on my DVR that I need to get to. But MK is so much fun, and I'm a sucker for all the deadpan acting, and I thought the two kids were super. It is #2 on my list.

List so far:
#2. Moonrise Kingdom #37
#5. Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri #44
#6. True Grit #40
#10. Hell or High Water #73
#11. Zero Dark Thirty #58
#15. Edge of Tomorrow #68
#24. Gone Girl #65

I also do not trust reviewers anymore. They mostly seem to be shills for the corporations at least back in the day they worked for the newspapers and you could expect some impartiality.

Right now I only trust Takoma.
This is clearly a mistake. I'm so deep in the pockets of the Doris Wishman conglomerates, you have no idea.

The difference here is that while most Anderson fans agree with me that TDL is sub-par, very few seem to agree with me about Moonrise Kingdom. They don't just think it's good, they think it's his best film ever. The disconnect there is large enough to leave me genuinely confused.
While it's not my favorite of Anderson's films (that would easily be Fantastic Mr. Fox), there was something about Moonrise Kingdom that I responded to on an emotional level that it frustratingly hard to describe. I really enjoyed the characters. And the part where the girl talks about being orphaned as being romantic and he responds, "I love you, but you have no idea what you're talking about" is just one of my favorite on-screen interactions ever.

Might be a bit early for these, but...

36: Blade Runner 2049
35: Get Out

I forgot to mention that the thing I like best about Moonrise Kingdom is a Chesterton quote it reminds me of and I'm not sure I can give it too much credit for it.

The quote about not knowing what you're talking about is indeed very good, though I don't remember it.

To find new stuff to watch, I tend to just look for recommendations here on MoFo, or recently, I am slowing working through a rectification list of films from this countdown I still need to see. Looks like I need to add Uncut Gems to the list...
Have you seen Good Time? I enjoyed it a notch more than Uncut Gems.