The MoFo Top 100 of the 2010s Countdown

→ in
Tools    

I forgot the opening line.
36. Sicario - Although I'm surprised at Sicario's lofty position on this countdown, I'm a believer in the voting process and that every film belongs exactly where it lands, especially considering the number of movie fans who have contributed to this. It's a film I only really clicked with the second time I watched it, as it's complexities can spin the head the first time around. Once you've got your footing, you begin to notice things like the score and cinematography, and just how damned good both are in this (I mean c'mon, Villeneuve is co-opting the talents of Roger Deakins and the gone-too-soon Jóhann Gunnar Jóhannsson.) That the story is layered, and has you questioning the morals of most of the characters involved, even the ones we're most behind, gives it a kind of depth that these films don't usually have. There's also the stench of evil that comes from Mexican cartels, who somehow manage to sink lower than Nazis - I advise those who couldn't get into it the first time to give it another go. Still - this is way higher than I would have expected. Couldn't break into my ballot.

35. Burning - This was on my Foreign Language Film ballot, and really should have been on this ballot I think, because I really love Burning, a gorgeously shot and brilliantly written film with so many mysteries at it's core. I think it was Takoma11 a little while back who talked about how refreshing it was that Burning not only kept it's cards close to it's chest, but then went on to not reveal some of them - leaving us to ponder what was real and what was just imagined for main character Lee Jong-su (Yoo Ah-in). There's also much use of metaphor and a certain thematic richness to the film which makes it all the more enjoyable, with a dark undercurrent which touches on wealth, personal attractiveness and paranoia. It's probably the best out of the burgeoning South Korean wave of quality films that's not directly related to Bong Joon Ho. Not on my ballot, but on this occasion I'll admit that it should have been, considering how much I like it.

Seen 59/66

Latest Review : Le Circle Rouge (1970)

Haven't seen either Burning or Sicario.

34. Parasite
33. The Impossible

I forgot the opening line.
34. You Were Never Really Here? Way too high for that, but who knows. Seems to be a go-to for me with hints. Surely too easy for The Social Network

35. I enjoyed watching that! Oh boy, I sure would have said Hell or High Water and been excited about getting it right (here comes that disappointment again...) - since that's already been revealed, and Interstellar and Inception (I really think it's one of those) is taken, I'll say Arrival

That film has probably been guessed for every set of hints so far.

I think I'm the person guessing it nearly every time too. At this point, I'm just trying to will it to happen.

The truth is in here
34. Spider-Man: Into The Spiderverse (Being "Meta" about all the different Spider-Men. Ridiculous guess, but I'll shoot the hoop anyway)

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I saw Sicario a few years ago, but I don't remember much about it except that I didn't like it as much as everyone else did. If I remember correctly, I thought parts of it were slow, while other parts were violent, but I don't remember much about the actual plot.

I've never heard of Burning.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
mark f

I couldn't find any ratings/reviews mark f wrote for Burning (pages gbgoodies ).

Neither film made mark f's ballot.

The only thing that I could find that Mark wrote about Burning was that he included it on his list of "[Recommendations] South Korean, Chinese and Japanese Movies.".

Shoplifters
Shadow
Burning
Mirai
Shirkers
[fudged this but it should be seen]
Microhabitat
Blade of the Immortal
Okja

I've been wanting to see Sicario for a while now, and when the countdown came up I wanted to try to catch it but it wasn't on any of my streaming services then. Thanks to @Takom11 I can see it on Amazon Prime now, so thanks! No vote, obviously.

Burning is one I hadn't heard of although it looks good from the trailer and I like Steven Yeun quite a bit, so I'll keep an eye out for that one. No vote.

List so far:
#2. Moonrise Kingdom #37
#5. Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri #44
#6. True Grit #40
#10. Hell or High Water #73
#11. Zero Dark Thirty #58
#15. Edge of Tomorrow #68
#24. Gone Girl #65

Man, did this movie have some brilliant memes. Someone posted this short clip from Pingu to summarize what it's like to watch this movie. Again, not a bad thing if you ask me:

Using Pingu as a way of explaining why I should watch an Adam Sandler film which isn't Airheads and doesn't star Drew Barrymore if about as good a way as I could think of. Well done and thanks.

Then someone does this and ruins it all.

For the most part, he did inhabit Howard and largely avoided the wisecracks that punctuate his comedy film career. But as his wife (Idina Menzel) points out, Howard is an annoying guy.
Wait. Sandler isn't supposed to be annoying in his other films.

Haven't seen Moonrise Kingdom, so you can chalk that one down to my Wes Anderson blindness.
This is the only blindness I'd be happy to have.

I haven't seen either of these. Also I don't think I've heard of Burning before, which is not something I expected to happen this high up on the countdown.
Quoted for truth.

Yet two more movies I've not seen. So I guess I can't comment on them.
I think you can.

Who woulda guessed that a user called Burning had the movie Burning on his list!!!
Yeah, right!!

I was waiting for this shocked comment!!

165 points, 11 lists
Gravity
Director

Alfonso Cuarón, 2013

Starring

Sandra Bullock, George Clooney, Ed Harris, Orto Ignatiussen

165 points, 12 lists
Interstellar
Director

Christopher Nolan, 2014

Starring

Matthew McConaughey, Anne Hathaway, Jessica Chastain, Mackenzie Foy