Moviefan1988's Favorite Movies

→ in
Tools    

Maybe I'll give it a chance after I finish watching movies for the 2010s countdown.
Yea give it a shot and let me know if you liked it or not.

Welcome to the Dance: My Favorite 20 High School Movies
https://www.movieforums.com/communit...02#post2413502

#20. Happy Gilmore (1996)
Director: Dennis Dugan
Writers: Tim Herlihy and Adam Sandler
Stars: Adam Sandler, Christopher McDonald, Julie Bowen, Frances Bay, Carl Weathers, Bob Barker
Genre: Comedy and Sport
Runtime: 1 Hour and 32 Minutes
Rated PG-13
Film Locations: British Columbia, Canada
Distributed by: Universal Pictures
Release Date: February 16 1996
Did it make the original 100 favorite movies list? Yes

A funny movie about a rejected hockey player that puts his skills towards playing in this golf tournament to save his grandmother’s home from getting it taken away from her. As usual Sandler manages to make this movie laughable, like some of his other movies that he has made.

"You eat pieces of sh*t for breakfast?" – Happy Gilmore played by Adam Sandler

LOL, funny scene right here

#21. The Waterboy (1998)
Director: Frank Coraci
Cast: Adam Sandler, Kathy Bates, Henry Winkler, Fairuza Balk, Jerry Reed
Genre: Comedy and Sport
Runtime: 1 Hour and 30 Minutes
Rated PG-13
Film Locations: Deland, St. Cloud, Clermont and Orlando, FL
Distributed by: Walt Disney Studios
Release Date: November 6 1998

This was a funny and enjoyable Adam Sandler movie to watch as he plays the role of a delayed young man that loves his momma, his girlfriend and football.

While his dreams to ever play football, it gets shutdown by his controlling momma (Kathy Bates) who thinks everyone is the devil and her way is the right way. I like how Bobby proves her wrong and follow his dream to want to play football.

"“Now that’s what I call high-quality H2O." - Bobby Boucher played by Adam Sandler

#22. Billy Madison (1995)
Director: Tamra Davis
Stars: Adam Sandler, Darren McGavin, Bridgette Wilson-Sampras, Bradley Whitford, Josh Mostel, Norm McDonald
Genre: Comedy
Runtime: 1 Hour and 28 Minutes
Rated PG-13
Film Location: Ontario, Canada
Release Date: February 5 1995

Imo, this is one of Sandler's funniest movies as he plays this immature, lazy guy that makes a deal with his father that he must complete school all over again from grades 1-12 to take over the family fortune.

"You ain't cool, unless you pee your pants" – Billy Madison played by Adam Sandler[/quote]

#23. The Terminator (1984)
Director: James Cameron
Writers: James Cameron, Gale Anne Hurd, William Wisher(additional dialogue)
Stars: Arnold Schwarzenegger, Linda Hamilton, Michael Biehn, Paul Winfield, Lance Henriksen, Rick Rossovich, Bess Motta
Genre: Action and Sci-Fi
Runtime: 1 Hour and 47 Minutes
Rated R
Film Location: Los Angeles, CA
Distributed by: Orion Pictures
Release Date: October 26 1984

One of my favorite action movies of all time and an interesting one also. Arnold plays the role of a cyborg killing machine on this mission to kill this innocent lady named Sarah Connor and will kill anyone that gets in his way. When Sarah meets this guy named Kyle Reese, they both fight to survive against this robotic gun killing maniac and trying to find ways to kill it before it kills them.

"Listen, and understand! That Terminator is out there! It can't be bargained with. It can't be reasoned with. It doesn't feel pity, or remorse, or fear. And it absolutely will not stop... ever, until you are dead!" - Kyle Reese played by Michael Biehn

A good catchy song right here from the movie during the nightclub scene

#24. Terminator 2: Judgment Day (1991)
Director: James Cameron
Writers: James Cameron and William Wisher
Stars: Arnold Schwarzenegger, Linda Hamilton, Edward Furlong, Robert Patrick
Genre: Action and Sci-Fi
Runtime: 2 Hours and 17 Minutes
Rated R
Film Locations: Fremont, Fontana, San Jose, El Mirage, Los Angeles, CA. Santa Fe, NM
Distributed by: Tri-Star Pictures
Release Date: July 3 1991

An awesome action packed sequel that gives you a different story of the terminator which in this one Arnold plays the good guy and must protect John and Sarah from this more advanced and powerful cyborg (Robert Patrick) trying to kill John Connor.

"Hasta la vista, baby." Terminator played by Arnold Schwarzenegger

#25. Goodfellas (1990)
Director: Martin Scorsese
Writers: Nicholas Pileggi(book "Wiseguy") and Martin Scorsese(screenplay)
Stars: Robert De Niro, Ray Liotta, Joe Pesci, Lorraine Bracco, Paul Sorvino
Genre: Biography, Crime, Drama
Runtime: 2 Hours and 25 Minutes
Rated R
Film Locations: New York City, Long Island, NY. Fort Lee, NJ
Distributed by: Warner Bros.
Release Date: September 9 1990

One of my favorite mob movies and the cast did an outstanding job in this movie, especially Ray Liotta, Robert De Niro and Joe Pesci.

The film sure had some good scenes in it and I liked how the ending starts to wrap things up and how the theme song was playing as it gives you that feeling like some serious shit may go down.

"Never rat on your friends and always keep your mouth shut." – James Conway played by Robert De Niro

A good song that plays near the end of the movie

#26. Heat (1995)
Director: Michael Mann
Writer: Michael Mann
Stars: Al Pacino, Robert De Niro, Val Kilmer, Jon Voight, Michael Cheritto, Natalie Portman, Ashley Judd, Diane Venora, Amy Brenneman
Genre: Action, Crime and Drama
Runtime: 2 Hours and 50 Minutes
Rated R
Release Date: December 15 1995

Al Pacino plays the good cop that’s on the hunt to track down bank robbers which Robert De Niro plays as one of them. it's nice to see these two work together in a movie like this one and this film running for almost three hours, it was a good movie to watch.

“Don't let yourself get attached to anything you are not willing to walk out on in 30 seconds flat, if you feel the heat around the corner.” - Neil McCauley played by Robert De Niro

#27. Heathers (1989)
Director: Michael Lehmann
Writer: Daniel Waters
Stars: Winona Ryder, Christian Slater, Shannen Doherty, Lisanne Falk, Kim Walker, Penelope Milford
Genre: Comedy and Crime
Runtime: 1 Hour and 43 Minutes
Rated R
Film Locations: Los Angeles, CA
Distributed by: New World Pictures
Release Date: March 31 1989
Did it make the original 100 favorite movies list?

This was a cool and silly revenge high school film and Winona Ryder and Christian Slater made this movie a fun one to watch. The film sure throws a nice dark comedy vibe to it as we see the mean kids in school getting killed in what it seems to be tragic teen suicide but really getting killed on purpose and deserving it too.

“Lick it up, baby. Lick it up.” - Veronica played by Winona Ryder

#28.There's Something About Mary (1998)
Directors: Bobby Farrelly and Peter Farrelly
Writers: Ed Decter (story) and John J. Strauss (story)
Stars: Cameron Diaz, Matt Dillon, Ben Stiller, Lee Evans. Chris Elliot
Genre: Comedy and Romance
Runtime: 1 Hour and 50 Minutes
Rated R
Film Locations: Plantation, Miami Beach, FL, Providence, RI
Distributed by: 20th Century Fox
Release Date: July 15 1998

This was a good Ben Stiller comedy and the cast did a good job making this an interesting movie to watch.

“Who Needs Him? I’ve Got A Vibrator!” - Mary played by Cameron Diaz

#29. The Bourne Identity (2002)
Director: Doug Liman
Writers: Tony Gilroy(screenplay), William Blake Herron(screenplay), Robert Ludlum(novel)
Stars: Matt Damon, Franka Potente, Chris Cooper, Clive Owen, Brian Cox, Julia Stiles
Genre: Action, Mystery and Thriller
Runtime: 1 Hour and 59 Minutes
Rated PG-13
Film Locations: McLean, VA. Liguria and Rome, Italy. Mykonos, Greece. Prague, Czech Republic. Paris, France. Barcelona, Spain.
Release Date: June 14 2002
Did it make the original 100 favorite movies list? No

Another favorite action hero of mines, Jason Bourne the ass kicking machine that's got like two eyes in the back of his head when he's surrounded by bad guys and willing to take them out one by one. Matt Damon did a brilliant job with his role and it was a pleasure to watch.

“I swear to God, if I even feel somebody behind me, there is no measure to how fast and how hard I will bring this fight to your doorstep!”– Jason Bourne played by Matt Damon.

A nice ending theme song

#30. The Bourne Supremacy (2004)
Director: Doug Liman
Writers: Tony Gilroy(screenplay) and Robert Ludlum(novel)
Stars: Matt Damon, Franka Potente, Joan Allen, Brian Cox, Julia Stiles
Rated PG-13
Film Locations: Manhattan, NY, McLean, VA. Goa, India. Berlin. Germany. Naples, Italy. Moscow, Russia. London, UK.
Release Date: July 23 2004

A nice action packed sequel as we see Jason Bourne go at it again, taking down anyone that tries to start a fight with him.

“When what you love gets taken from you, you find another Truth.’ – Jason Bourne played by Matt Damon.

#31. The Bourne Ulimatum (2007)
Director: Paul Greengrass
Writers: Tony Gilroy (screenplay), Scott Z. Burns(screenplay), George Nolfi(screenplay)
Stars: Matt Damon, Edgar Ramírez, Joan Allen, Julia Stiles, Albert Finney, Scott Glenn
Runtime: 1 Hour and 55 Minutes
Rated PG-13
Film Locations: London and Hertfordshire, UK. Madrid, Spain.Tagier, Morocco. Paris, France. New York City, NY.
Release Date: August 3 2007

Jason Bourne is on the run once again but this time trying to track down the people that made him on who he is, which is a trained assassin. I found the movie fun to watch with a good ending and as always Matt Damon does a fantastic job at his role as Bourne.

“This is Jason Bourne, the toughest target that you have ever tracked. He is really good at staying alive, and trying to kill him and failing... just pisses him off.” – Pam Landy played Joan Allen

#32. The Bourne Legacy (2012)
Director: Tony Gilroy
Writers: Tony Gilroy(screenplay), Dan Gilroy(screenplay), Robert Ludlum(inspired by "The Bourne Series" created by)
Stars: Jeremy Renner, Rachel Weisz, Edward Norton, Scott Glenn
Genre: Action, Adventure and Thriller
Runtime: 2 Hours and 15 Minutes
Rated PG-13
Film Locations: New York City, Long Island, Hudson, NY. Calgary, Alberta, Canada. Metro Manila and Palawan, Philippines. Seoul, South Korea.
Release Date: August 10 2012

Not as good as the first three Bourne movies but it's still enjoyable to watch, a nice addition to the Bourne series. Jeremy Renner did a fine job in this movie.

“Now, I've got a plan, and it's just not that complicated. What I'm going to do is wait for the next person to show up to kill you. Maybe they can help me.” – Aaron Cross played by Jeremy Renner

Jason Bourne 2016 movie was okay, I don't think the movie didn't really need to happen.

#33. Taken (2009)
Director: Pierre Morel
Writers: Luc Besson and Robert Mark Kamen
Stars: Liam Neeson, Maggie Grace, Famke Janssen, Katie Cassidy, Leland Orser
Genre: Action, Crime and Thriller
Runtime: 1 Hour and 30 Minutes
Rated PG-13
Film Locations: Los Angeles, CA and Paris, France
Distributed by: 20th Century Fox
Release Date: January 30 2009

As much as I like movies that contain the lead character going on a rescue mission and beating up the bad guys. I found it amusing while watching how Liam Neeson deals with these Albanians that are involved in sex trafficking and kidnapping his daughter and her friend while they go on a trip to Paris.

"I don't know who you are. I don't know what you want. If you are looking for ransom, I can tell you I don't have money. But what I do have are a very particular set of skills, skills I have acquired over a very long career. Skills that make me a nightmare for people like you. If you let my daughter go now, that'll be the end of it. I will not look for you, I will not pursue you. But if you don't, I will look for you, I will find you, and I will kill you." – Bryan Mills played by Liam Neeson

Taken 2 and 3 were decent, I would consider them as honorable mentions

#34. Easy A (2010)
Director: Will Gluck
Writer: Bert V. Royal
Stars: Emma Stone, Amanda Bynes, Penn Badgley, Dan Byrd, Aly Michalka, Thomas Haden Church, Patricia Clarkson, Malcolm McDowell
Genre: Comedy, Drama and Romance
Runtime: 1 Hour and 32 Minutes
Rated PG-13
Filming Location: Ojai, CA
Distributed by: Sony Pictures
Release Date: September 17 2010

A movie about how spreading bad rumors in high school can lead to bad things and when it backfires it turns ugly. Emma Stone as Olive Penderghast did a fine job telling the story of the movie and giving us the final blow at the end to those that get very nosy in people's business especially to the ones at her school.

" I might even lose my virginity to him. I don't know when it will happen. You know, maybe in five minutes, or tonight, or six months from now, or maybe on the night of our wedding. But the really amazing thing is, it is nobody's god damn business."

#35. Mean Girls (2004)
Director: Mark Waters
Writers: Rosalind Wiseman(book "Queen Bees and Wannabes") and Tina Fey(screenplay)
Stars: Lindsay Lohan, Jonathan Bennett, Rachel McAdams, Amanda Seyfried, Lacey Chabert. Tina Fey, Lizzy Caplan, Daniel Franzese, Amy Poehler, Tim Meadows
Runtime: 1 Hour and 37 Minutes
Rated PG-13
Film Locations: Santa Clarita, CA, Montclair, NJ. Toronto Ontario, Canada.
Distributed by: Paramount Pictures
Release Date: April 30 2004

The performances from Lohan and McAdams were good and seeing how it’s like to become this new high school student that can become easily attached with the wrong crowd while already making friends that were nice to that person in the first place.

"I know it may look like I was being like a b*tch, but that's only because I was acting like a b*tch." – Cady Heron played by Lindsay Lohan

I like this scene from the movie

#36. Dumber and Dumber (1994)
Directors: Peter Farrelly and Bobby Farrelly(uncredited)
Writers: Peter Farrelly, Bennett Yellin and Bobby Farrelly
Stars: Jim Carrey, Jeff Daniels, Lauren Holly, Mike Starr, Karen Duffy
Runtime: 1 Hour and 47 Minutes
Rated PG-13
Film Locations: Copper Mountain, Fort Morgan, Estes Park, Breckenridge, CO. Park City, Orem, Sandy, Ogden, Salt Lake City, Kamas, Heber City, UT Providence, RI.
Some street shots were filmed in Nebraska and Pennsylvania.
Distributed by: New Line Cinema
Release Date: December 16 1994

One of the first and best comedies I have seen when I started watching movies and good performances by Jeff Daniels and Jim Carrey for making the movie funny.

"Just when I thought you couldn't possibly be any dumber, you go and do something like this... and totally redeem yourself!" – Lloyd played by Jeff Daniels

Dumb and Dumberer and the 2nd Dumb and Dumber movie were alright, I found nothing special about them.

#37. The Truman Show (1998)
Director: Peter Weir
Writer: Andrew Niccol
Stars: Jim Carrey, Ed Harris, Laura Linney, Noah Emmerich, Paul Giamatti, Natascha McElhone
Genre: Comedy and Drama
Rated PG
Film Locations: Panama City, Seaside, FL. Universal City, CA
Distributed by: Paramount Pictures
Release Date: June 8 1998

The pain that Carrey's character (Truman Burbank) goes through after finding out that his life was all a lie and just some tv show about him is heartbreaking. If I was him I would want out immediately just for the sake of it so I can have my own private life. This was an interesting movie to watch.

"Good Morning, in case I don't see ya, good afternoon, good evening and good night." - Truman Burbank played by Jim Carrey

#38. Lethal Weapon (1987)
Director: Richard Donner
Writer: Shane Black
Stars: Mel Gibson, Danny Glover, Gary Busey, Tom Atkins, Mitchell Ryan
Genre: Action, Crime, Thriller
Runtime: 1 Hour and 49 Minutes
Rated R
Film Locations: El Mirage Dry Lake and Los Angeles, CA
Release Date: March 6 1987

A great buddy cop movie from the 80's and one of the best action films ever made, Mel Gibson and Danny Glover did amazing in their lead roles as two newly paired cops (Murtaugh as the unlucky cop and Riggs as the suicidal crazy cop) and the chemistry between the two is cool to watch as they go after the bad guys.

"What did one shepherd say to the other shepherd? Let's get the flock out of here!" - Martin Riggs played by Mel Gibson

#39. Lethal Weapon 2 (1989)
Director: Richard Donner
Writers: Jeffrey Boam (screenplay) and Shane Black (story)
Stars: Mel Gibson, Danny Glover, Joe Pesci, Patsy Kensit
Genre: Action, Crime, Thriller
Runtime: 1 Hour and 54 Minutes
Rated R
Release Date: July 7 1989

A good action packed film and the sequel was able to stand on its own, almost good as the original movie. As usual the great chemistry between Riggs and Murtaugh was a delightful thing to see as they fight off the new villains on the streets of Los Angeles. I would also like to add that Joe Pesci was a good addition to the film and adding some humor the movie as well.

"I'm too old for this shit." - Roger Murtaugh played by Danny Glover

I would consider Lethal Weapon 3 and 4 honorable mentions, still decent movies to watch though.

#40. Back to the Future (1985)
Director: Robert Zemeckis
Writers: Robert Zemeckis and Bob Gale
Stars: Michael J. Fox, Christopher Lloyd, Lea Thompson, Crispen Glover
Genre: Adventure, Comedy, Sci-Fi
Runtime: 1 Hour and 56 Minutes
Rated PG
Film Locations: Los Angeles, CA
Release Date: July 3 1985

A great sci-fi time traveling and adventurous film. What I liked about this movie is how time traveling can be fun but risky also because you might get stuck in a year that you thought was good but ended up with things that have gone bad.

Unlike Marty, he gets stuck in 1955, only to see his future parents as high schoolers and making sure they get back together just in case it effects the future in a bad way.

"The way I see it, if you're gonna build a time machine into a car, why not do it with some style?" -Dr. Emmett Brown played by Christopher Lloyd

Back to the future 2 as an honorable mention, the 3rd movie was alright.

#41. Happy Death Day (2017)
Director: Christopher Landon
Writer: Scott Lobdell
Stars: Jessica Rothe, Israel Broussard, Ruby Modine, Charles Aitken, Rachel Matthews, Jason Bayle, Phi Vu
Genre: Comedy, Horror and Thriller
Runtime: 1 Hour and 36 Minutes
Rated PG-13
Film Locations: Los Angeles, CA and New Orleans, LA
Distributed by: Blumhouse Productions
Release Date: October 13 2017

An interesting movie about this young female stuck in a time warp and being stalked by this killer and in order to survive, she must track down the killer before she gets killed again.

The actress the plays the lead role does a good job making the film a fun one to watch in.

“I can't change what I've done, but I can start trying to be a better person today.”
- Tree Gelbman played by Jessica Rothe

#42. Happy Death Day 2 U (2019)
Director: Christopher Landon
Writers: Christopher Landon and Scott Lobdell (Based on characters created by)
Stars: Jessica Rothe, Israel Broussard, Phi Vu, Ruby Modine, Rachel Matthews, Jason Bayle, Missy Yager
Genre: Comedy, Horror and Mystery
Runtime: 1 Hour and 40 Minutes
Rated PG-13
Film Location: New Orleans, LA
Distributed by: Blumhouse Productions
Release Date: February 13 2019

The sequel was entertaining and as usual the lead character that plays Tree (Jessica Roathe) does a good job carrying this movie and making it enjoyable to watch. I like how the time loop is explained and it also brings Tree into another world where there is a new story, killer, relationship and other new stuff.

"I thought I was stuck in the same day for some big, cosmic reason - facing my mom's death - but it had nothing to do with her. Turns out it was just some scientific fluke." - Tree Gelbman played by Jessica Rothe[/quote]

[

#43. Peppermint (2018)
Director: Pierre Morel
Writer: Chad St. John
Stars: Jennifer Garner, John Gallagher Jr., John Ortiz, Juan Pablo Raba, Annie Ilonzeh, Jeff Hephner, Cailey Fleming
Genre: Action and Thriller
Runtime: 1 Hour and 41 Minutes
Rated R
Distributed by: STX Films
Release Date: September 7 2018

To Beginning, middle and end, it was an exciting movie to watch and watching Jennifer Gardner's character Riley North bring in some bloody justice on the gang members that got her family killed. This movie is pretty much like the punisher but instead it's a female taking over that role.

'Watching someone take everything from you, it turns you into somebody else.' Riley North played by Jennifer Gardner

#44. American Pie (1999)
Directors: Paul Weitz and Chris Weitz (uncredited)
Writer: Adam Herz
Stars: Jason Biggs, Chris Klein, Thomas Ian Nicholas, Sean William Scott, Eddie Kaye Thomas, Alyson Hannigan, Eugene Levy, Tara Reid, Mena Suvari, Natasha Lyonne, Jennifer Coolidge
Runtime: 1 Hour and 35 Minutes
Rated R
Release Date: July 9 1999

A movie about four teenage boys trying to make a pact to lose their virginity before they graduate which they have their prom coming up. The film is filled with laughter, rude jokes and the storyline between Jim and Michelle was cool to watch and made me want to see what happens next as we go into the next two films.

"This One Time, At Band Camp." - Michelle played by Alyson Hannigan

#45. American Pie 2 (2002)
Director: J.B. Rogers
Writers: Adam Herz(characters) and David H. Steinberg(story)
Stars: Jason Biggs, Chris Klein, Thomas Ian Nicholas, Sean William Scott, Eddie Kaye Thomas, Alyson Hannigan, Eugene Levy, Tara Reid, Mena Suvari, Natasha Lyonne, Jennifer Coolidge
Runtime: 1 Hour and 48 Minutes
Rated R
Release Date: August 10 2001

A good and funny sequel to the original movie, there’s not much of a plot but oh well it’s still a fun movie to watch. It's nice to see the love story between Jim and Michelle continue on.

“Keep It Real Homies” – Jim’s Dad played by Eugene Levy

#46. American Wedding (2003)
Director: Jesse Dylan
Writers: Adam Herz(characters)
Stars: Jason Biggs, Alyson Hannigan, Thomas Ian Nicholas, Sean William Scott, Eddie Kaye Thomas, Eugene Levy, Jennifer Coolidge
Runtime: 1 Hour and 36 Minutes
Rated R
Film Locations: Half Moon Bay, Orange, Ontario and Los Angeles, CA
Release Date: August 1 2003

The movie was a delight and the cast did a decent job in this, making this film still humorous and fun to watch as we see Jim and Michelle get married.

“Well, Michelle, we did it. Happy graduation.” - Jim Levenstein played by Jason Biggs

#47. American Reunion (2012)
Directors: Jon Hurwitz and Hayden Schlossberg
Writers: Jon Hurwitz(screenplay), Hayden Schlossberg(screenplay) and Adam Herz(characters)
Stars: Jason Biggs, Alyson Hannigan, Chris Klein, Thomas Ian Nicholas, Sean William Scott, Eddie Kaye Thomas, Eugene Levy, Tara Reid, Mena Suvari, Natasha Lyonne, Jennifer Coolidge
Runtime: 1 Hour and 53 Minutes
Rated R
Film Locations: Atlanta, Monroe, Covington, Cummings, GA. Long Beach, CA
Release Date: April 6 2012

A great addition to the American Pie series and it was nice to see a reunion with all the cast members that were from the 1st and 2nd movie.

“Don't mess with the class of 99, bitch!” – Kevin Myers played by Thomas Ian Nicholas