Rainer Werner Fassbinder

Tools    

I was just wondering if anyone here has ever seen any Fassbinder films.
And sawdust restaurants with oyster shells

From The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock by T.S.Eliot

I am having a nervous breakdance
I know that I have one somewhere. Veronika Voss. Is it good? I have never seen all of it.

--------

They had temporarily escaped the factories, the warehouses, the slaughterhouses, the car washes - they'd be back in captivity the next day but
now they were out - they were wild with freedom. They weren't thinking about the slavery of poverty. Or the slavery of welfare and food stamps. The rest of us would be all right until the poor learned how to make atom bombs in their basements.

drop pants, not bombs
i have seen the marriage of Maria Braun, Fear eats soul, salesman all the time and Lola. I´m not sure about the english titles cause i only know the Finnish versions and that Fear eats soul is originally Angst essen seele auf. Also Querelle is coming to my local theatre so i´m going to see it. Haven´t seen anything else.
and it´s bigger than life

I'd recommend most of Fassbinder's work, especially Warum läuft Herr R. Amok and Angst Essen Seele Auf.
Originally Posted by Piddzilla
I know that I have one somewhere. Veronika Voss. Is it good? I have never seen all of it.
Veronika Voss might not have the best plot, but it does have great visual style.
I was first exposed to his work when Berlin Alexanderplatz,an utterly brilliant adaptation of Alexander Döblin's novel of the same name (read it, it's fantastic), was shown on TV.
Originally Posted by zelig
i have seen the marriage of Maria Braun, Fear eats soul, salesman all the time and Lola. I´m not sure about the english titles cause i only know the Finnish versions and that Fear eats soul is originally Angst essen seele auf. Also Querelle is coming to my local theatre so i´m going to see it. Haven´t seen anything else.
I've only seen his movies in Germany, so I have no idea as to what the English titles might be. Querelle is probably not his strongest work, but is interesting from an aesthetic point and the cast is fabulous too.

I've seen a few of his films...namely: Ali: Fear Eats the Soul, The Marriage of Maria Braun, Satans Brew, Effi Briest, Fox and His Friends, Mother Kusters Goes To Heaven, The American Soldier, and Beware of a Holy Whore.

Interesting director, whose insane working habit, and dedicated friends, made it possible to make around 30 films in around 10 years. He is not for everyone, because he is anything but mainstream. His films are anything but Scooby Doo 2.

I am having a nervous breakdance
Originally Posted by bluebottle
Veronika Voss might not have the best plot, but it does have great visual style.
Yeah, I remember that it looked kind of stylish. Black and white, isn't it? I have to find that tape and give it another chance.

I wrote a review for Fox and His Friends in my review thread. I liked it, obviously not for its cinematography, but for its intelligent script and believable acting. I could have stood not having to see Werner's weiner so often though.
"Today, war is too important to be left to politicians. They have neither the time, the training, nor the inclination for strategic thought. I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids."

Bump.

I recently watched Ali:Fear Eats the Soul and I was fairly impressed by his cinematic style, I didn't really get touched but I was impressed (I'd give a
+ btw). It's my first Fassbinder film and I'm curious to see more. One I'm gonna watch is World on a Wire, are there any other reccomendations?

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Here's everything I've posted about Fassbinder at the site. He's made films that range from 1-4 popcorns.

Bump.

I recently watched Ali:Fear Eats the Soul and I was fairly impressed by his cinematic style, I didn't really get touched but I was impressed (I'd give a
+ btw). It's my first Fassbinder film and I'm curious to see more. One I'm gonna watch is World on a Wire, are there any other reccomendations?
I really liked the BRD Trilogy, but he has loads of films I haven't seen.

I've never heard a bad thing about A Year in 13 Moons either.

I've only seen his tvmovie Welt am Draht. I should rewatched because that was really along time ago.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
Here's everything I've posted about Fassbinder at the site. He's made films that range from 1-4 popcorns.
"It's a trap!"

Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms.

Never mind.

Lili Marleen - 7.5/10

Why Does Herr R. Run Amok? - 7/10

The Merchant of Four Seasons - 8/10
Katzelmacher - 7.5/10
Satan's Brew - 5/10
Chinese Roulette - 5/10
The Third Generation - 4/10
Veronika Voss - 7.5/10
Germany in Autumn - 6/10
The Marriage of Maria Braun - 7/10
Love is Colder Than Death - 4/10
Ali: Fear Eats the Soul - 8/10

I've seen Love is Colder Than Death (1969) and Gods of the Plague (1970), both films took two viewings for me to fully absorb. I've always wanted to see The American Soldier (1970), but could never track down an English copy.

Edit: Every year before finals when I was in college, we would always get the Friday of the weekend before off to study. Instead of doing that, me and some of my friends who lived in the same dorm building with me would try to marathon through all 15 1/2 hours of Berlin Alexanderplatz (1980), and we were never successful. I eventually ended up just watching it through the course of a week on my own.

Angst vor der Angst - 6.5/10
Lili Marleen - 7.5/10
Why Does Herr R. Run Amok? - 7/10
The Merchant of Four Seasons - 8/10
Katzelmacher - 7.5/10
Satan's Brew - 5/10
Chinese Roulette - 5/10
The Third Generation - 4/10
Veronika Voss - 7.5/10
Germany in Autumn - 6/10
The Marriage of Maria Braun - 7/10
Love is Colder Than Death - 4/10
Ali: Fear Eats the Soul - 8/10
Mother Kusters Goes To Heaven - 8/10
Wildweschel - 7.5/10
The Bitter Tears of Petra von Kant - 7.5/10
I Only Want You To Love Me - 6/10

I've seen 8 of his films so far and have been meaning to see more. What I have seen::

Ali: Fear Eats the Soul (1974)

The Marriage of Maria Braun (1979)

The Merchant of Four Seasons (1972)

Fox and His Friends (1975)

The Bitter Tears of Petra Von Kant (1972)

Chinesisches Roulette (1976)

The American Soldier (1970)

Beware of a Holy Whore (1971)